View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008   #342
moetheman
Approving Gay AVS Sites

Default Re: Do you want Gonzo to post your real name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MuchMark View Post
This is a similar discussion:
http://content.ix2.net/arc/t-4333.html
"There is no way to determine the mac address of your computer, once the packets have passed through a router. The mac address is used only on a local network and as a packet leaves your local network, the mac address is replaced by the mac address of the router. This happens at every router along the route between you and any other site."
That is why I said step back through each "hop". The TCP packets at each hop contain the MAC address of BOTH the SENDER and THE RECEIVER. TO break it down more: you would sniff the addy of the sender in THAT LAST hop. Ok. Then, you trace to the next hop, and sniff there, and do the same, and repeat, until you finally arrive at the originating device . . . as I stated, it is conceptually straightforward.

Quote:
Since your computer has an arp table that contains your routers LAN side mac address it is possible that they could send that in the same way they could 2) 3) and 4). But your router is going to have a different mac address for it WAN side, which is the part that you would care about. Your computer will not have the WAN side mac address in its arp table because it is on the "other side" of your router.

All that to say: They only way they could get your router's WAN-side mac address would be have access to a device on your local ISP's network on the same subnet as your router. This is highly improbable. (This all came from http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=765054) by the way).
Improbable if you can't manage to enter . . . and it happens EVERY SINGLE DAY. People do this everyday.

Quote:

Anyway,

It appears that I owe MoeTheMan, an apology (Sort of)!

I had said that it was Impossible to detect the MAC address of a machine via the Internet (without a client).
I was RIGHT.
No one, except you, said that could be done. That would amount to detection without a connection. THAT is not possible.

Quote:
I also said that TCP/IP did not contain Mac address information.
I was WRONG.

MoeTheMan said TCP/IP DID contact Mac information.
He was RIGHT.
The $100 should go to any charity. I don't care which one, although I prefer:

The WINE project (nothing to do with the drink BTW)
The Free Software Foundation
or the nearest soup kitchen.

Quote:
However, only the MAC Address information of each hop from one point to the next is known between the devices, but thats it. The original machine does not know the destination's mac address (unless it is 1 hop away such as from a PC to a router), and the destination does not know the original's mac address.
I WROTE THAT. Mayhaps I did not break it down enough, yet I did write that it would be necessary to sniff MAC addresses at each hop, so as to be able to trace back (by looking at the SENDER addy)

Quote:
(If all of this info were contained in TCP/IP, the world would explode. So GREG was right!)
Funny, he was the only one saying that . . . see point above.

Quote:
MoeTheMan: I will extend a sincere apology to you if you would do the same to me (for at least calling me names). If you don't want to, then thats ok. My apology is out there. For my part, I made a mistake.
If I thought you were being sincere and honest, I would reciprocate. But I doubt that, so, no apologies from me. And you engaged in name calling as well . . . so don't act like the victim.

You said you were leaving this thread.