View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008   #2
RawAlex
Members
$100 for every ImLive sign-up

Default Re: Comcast Subpoenaed for P2P Traffic Throttling

Here's the problem:

P2P is the sort of methods that use a ton of bandwidth, and can really slow a network down. Companies like Comcast can find themselves having to add more and more resources for no increase in income.

It is particularly an issue when it comes to services such as Skype and other "pay" style services that are dependant on end users providing free commercial bandwidth to these companies. It will only get worse with live video going P2P (what is that video service the skype guys made?) as well as the commercial distribution of software over P2P networks. Essentially, they are shifting the bill to run their services to the end users, who are reselling their bandwidth without permission.

My understanding is that Comcast's blocking device only cancelled income requests for P2P connections, and didn't stop end users from receiving information, just from resending it, by sending out cancels under the user's IP to stop incoming requests. that in turn may slow down many P2P systems that require up/down ratios to support their systems.

I am not sure at what point Comcast is doing wrong... especially considering that the vast majority (essentially all) of the P2P traffic out there is in trading illegal files and supporting commercial services.
Let's go to the edge of disaster Push the pedal and go a little faster Let's slam into a wall at ramming speed Let's go to the edge of a mountain Jump off and lets start countin' Hit the ground and tell me if it bleeds
RawAlex is offline   Reply With Quote