View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005   #37
gonzo
Fat Fucking Nobody
Want to see your own Advertising Here!

Default Re: aeon you are banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
This is probably the wrong kind of first post to make. But the truth is that this is the thread that brought me back to reading this board again. I heard about what was said here by Aeon and wanted to come see for myself. So I may as well be straight with you and tell you that.

As someone who understands quite a bit about pain, I'm a believer that a lot of personal growth can come through pain. In my experience, the only kind of person who'd make a comment like the one Aeon made about Greenguy and his stepson on this board, is someone who just hasn't suffered enough personally to understand why what he did is something most of us recognize quite quickly as "just wrong" behaviour.

I don't know you, Nick, but I want to tell you that I think it was a good thing you did, banning Aeon from posting here. I'm strongly against censorship, but I don't think that's the standard you're trying to uphold in this instance. Freedom to say what you want is very important. It may be almost as important as taking responsibility for the things you say and the effects they have on others and on yourself. In this case, I think Aeon has the opportunity to learn that words are actions, and that the action of attacking another will often carry consequences.

I guess, if I'm really being straight here, I should level with you and say that I do hope that Aeon goes to Las Vegas, and gets to suffer enough pain there to gain a better understanding of why what he did was wrong. Did I mention that I'm a big believer that a lot of growth can come through pain? Maybe it comes from growing up in Philadelphia in the 50s and 60s, but I sure had more than a few good lessons taught to me early by those who helped me understand that running my mouth to the wrong person at the wrong time could be quite painful.

I think Aeon just missed some 'taught on the street' classes growing up, and didn't get to learn some important things about dealing with people. So I'm really just wishing him the opportunity to experience some continuing education, which it seems he needs pretty badly.

Okay, apologies for the long post and the ramble/rant on my first post here. I really do appreciate what you did here, Nick, and the others who spoke out about this. My intention is to come visit more often now, and to see if I can contribute a bit more than just this long 'yeah, me too' post.

Love 'em and leash 'em,

Simon
Nice first post. Welcome to Oprano.
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote