Old 01-19-2004   #92
Peaches
Members
Want to see your own Advertising Here!

Quote:
Originally posted by [Labret]@Jan 19 2004, 08:53 PM
And here we go again...

Quote:

Ergo, if someone has studied human behavior, I would expect them to at least at SOME point act as if they actually understand human behavior.
Much the same way that there is an umbrella term, "anthropology", contained within it are many different areas of expertise. You can be a physical anthropologist, you can be an archaeologist, you can be a cultural anthropologist, or you can go into linguistics. That is by no means a complete list, but any other anthropological field will fall under one of those categories. While they all deal with man, each one deals with a difference facet of.

Per your use of dictionary.com to define an entire field of study...

2: Analysis of a social institution or societal segment as a self-contained entity or in relation to society as a whole.

Sociology is not just the study of individual human behavior per se, most of us are concerned with the institutions that that govern and manipulate human behavior. I dont care that you are an idiot, I want to know more about the environment that created such a magnificent specimen.

So is soc the study of human behavior? Partially, and by that I mean a very small part. And within it, much the same as anthro, there are many sub-fields. Where there are many wonderous and strange things that would bewilder and confuse you.

Quote:

I've not seen Labret exhibit such knowledge and I commented on it.
So when have we ever discussed human evolution, archaeology, or my particular area of sociological expertise?

We have not. Nor do I think we could. If I were to launch into a tired about australopithecine evolution or neo-gramscian Marxist approaches to the criticism of cultural texts, you would have no fucking clue what I am talking about.

Just as I am sure that if you went on and on about the best place to put an outhouse or the best way to make raccoon pie, I would be clueless.
Once again, like clockwork, Labret puts time and effort into "not caring".