View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003   #16
[Labret]
Members

Quote:

Stop looking down your nose and open your mind a little - it's like a parachute, works best when open
It takes more energy to frown than it does to smile. When you point your finger there are always three pointed back at you. No more cliche please.

Looking down my nose? I simply stated the truth. I agree with what I said 100%. Which is unusual as I generally accept and understand the flaw in any argument I will try and make. But when it comes to the marxist critique of the culture industry, however off the wall it may sound, I hold it as gospel. Basically flawless. Open my mind? How much more open can it be? I have taken the time to actually study every major sociological theory regarding the function of popular music in popular culture, and I have the closed mind?

Quote:

Also you have no idea what range of music I listen to. Calling it crap before you even know what it is insults yourself
Quote:

My forte is American Music 1955 - current
?

Quote:

*side note - I find it deliciously ironic that the Ramones first records couldn't get any airplay but today are soundtrack to commercials
Members of Frankfurt School talk of this extensively, the culture industry hijacking what Horkheimer calls "authentic culture", and depriving it of its critical functions.

Quote:

Beyond that I think you don't give enough credit to what is a portion of the (American) listening public

Not everyone, especially kids (teens, 20-something's) accept everything that is marketed to them and shoved (spoon fed) down their throats
They are not supposed to, nor do they need to. Which goes back to what I said about psuedo-standardization. You are given the illusion of choice. The mega corporations that control virtually any and all "popular music" spend freakish amounts of money and time searching for the "patterns". They can afford to generate a virtually endless supply of bands that eventually someone will buy into. If you ever get a chance, look for a documentary called the "merchants of cool". It follows groups of industry mooks as they do their job. Which is creating this illusion of choice in the music industry and dictating and identifying trends. Outside of airlines, they are one of the largest employers of sociologists.

Last edited by [Labret] at Nov 24 2003, 02:47 PM
[Labret] is offline   Reply With Quote