View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003   #137
JR
Members
The global leader in pay-per-view AEBN

Quote:
Originally posted by gigi@Feb 28 2003, 09:51 AM

I think it's utopian thinking that they will become 'westernized' just by the implementation of a democratic system.

In fact, I fear that they might 'vote' for someone who upholds fundamental Muslim beliefs...and that is scary. At least we know that Saddam could care less about Jihad or Alla....he's too greedy and self-serving for that.

My 2 Canadian Cents
i agree with this too to some extent. i think that Democracy is not the ultimate "cure all" that the Western world thinks it is. however, its a rare opportunity to try to push that region down that course and plant the seed.

what you said is similar to a report by the International Monetary Fund on Russias economic transition that i used to love to read.

the initial assumption was that a "free market" would instantly cure all evils, sort itself out, self correct and set the economy on the right course automatically and life would be peachy for all.

after Russia defaulted on payments for billions of Dollars in foreign debts in 1998, the IMF admitted in the end, that it also requires the will of the people and government to commit down that path.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

two Candian cents by the way, is only 1.3 American cents
the good news is that it is 2.21 Australian cents, so you may get change back if CJ posts.