View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005   #49
WickedTemptress
Members

Default Re: Is Nagin an idiot ? Or just stupid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarettah
I appreciate the ambition behind Nagin's idea to repopulate quickly, however, he has already proved himself as an inept leader and I think he is best served at this point in time to defer to the professionals in handling emergencies.

If he manages to repopulate and everything turns out good, then he wins big, yes. If instead, folks move back in and get slammed by another storm this year or people start dying from multiple infectuous diseases then his ass is totally gone.

Big difference between this and post WWII. When rebuilding in Europe commenced, they knew the war was already over.

Speaking as a local, I can tell you that a lot of people in New Orleans think that Nagin is the best Mayer New Orleans has had in a very long time. It was him losing his cool on CNN that got the president to take more action and get a ground's eye view of the devastation(that I only got to hear part of on my battery powered radio, as I was still without power when it occurred.) I listened to many hours of phone calls from people(locals, of course) on the radio commenting on all sorts of things and, I don't believe I can recall one bad word said about Nagin. But, I can remember many phone calls of praise for him doing the things that he did.

He was actually out there HIMSELF taking care of the people in New Orleans that he could personally take care of... Trying to get them to safety.

I've listened to him bitching because there were "too many Generals trying to call the shots" and screwing things up...

I've listened to parish presidents and a Northshore senator CRYING and pleading for help over the radio... Venting their frustrations that no one was listening, that no one was sending help.

One parish president said that his own son called him, begging for food and gas and he couldn't even provide it to his own son, let alone all of the people under his parish...

This whole thing has really been unbelievably horrific in so many angles....

I think that Nagin has done a very good job considering all of the things he's had to deal with.

And, he cut the bullshit too. People are very appreciative for that... There were all of these officials trying to spin damage control all over the place, and he pushed politics aside and got real with everyone.

There was actually a radio guy that did an excellent job of not allowing damage control to be spun on his station... He would interview all of these officials on the radio and the minute they would stop being honest and start trying to spin damage control, he fought with them, yes FOUGHT with them over the radio... It was like nothing I had ever heard in my life...

But, back to the point...

I think he's trying to slowly start populating the city to try to start giving some people a sense of normalcy and the feel that things are starting to get better, that they are starting to progress. He's not letting everyone back... Right now, he's just letting the people that work in the city go back into the city to do so, and, not even all of them... Just some of them. (That's the last thing I heard on the local news...)

I don't think Nagin will take the water pollution lightly at all. I'm sure he'll make sure the people know that the water is contaminated and not useable... They'll just have to find other ways to have water for the things they'll need for now. That's what we were all doing before...

And, as for the hurricane coming... I definitely don't think Nagin will take that lightly either. I'm sure he'll be watching the storm very closely and if it looks like it is going to hit us again, I'm sure he'll make sure that those people are out of there before it hits.

On that note though... If another one hits us right now and especially if they think it's going to hit as a cat 4 like I heard, we will definitely be SERIOUSLY screwed... Even 40NW, like I am right now... There are still too many trees down... Too much debris laying around... So, I really hope it doesn't hit us because I just don't know what I'd do if we had to deal with another one so soon...
WickedTemptress is offline   Reply With Quote