View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009   #26
AdultWebmaster
Still Waiting Tables...

Default Re: MojoHost announces Wowza Flash Media Server Version 2.0! (GREAT educational read!

To MikeSouth and other who is interested. Hereafter I tried to give answers to all Mike's concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSouth View Post
I have experience with WOWZA and honestly I was less than thrilled.

My problem was securing the streaming behind a members area, my hosting provider couldnt help me and the guys at Wowza wouldnt help me. It required custom programming that was beyond my desire to do.

If this has changed or if Mojo can set it up for me I might consider it.

If anyone can do it, let me know I dont necessarily have to have Wowza either, Id be fine with Red5
Quote:
I need a media server as well but I want it to be simple to set up for a members site, it should have an admin front end that does it for you and last I looked Wowza does NOT.

Im doing http streaming until this issue can be resolved.

One thing I have looked at is a program called visichat they will install their chat software along with Red5 in a secure environment for 250 bucks. even if you dont use the video chat software getting a secured Red5 install for 250.00 (Red 5 is free to use) seems like a bargain.

Anyone else?
Quote:
Im willing to pay someone to set up red5 for me any takers?
Quote:
I dont need live streaming or a chat it is a nice extra but i likely wouldnt use it
all I wanted to do was stream H.264 video behind a members section, encrypted streaming would be nice.

The key is I want to do it without having to write a bunch of code (Im fine with the rtmp type coding necessary to pass the stream to the player) apparently that isnt/wasnt possible
Quote:
actually we dont all know how to protect a members area being that wowza doesnt use .htaccess htaccess is an apache thing.

Thats the problem I kept running into that nobody could solve outside of telkling me I had to code it, and I dont mean html code I mean passing file handles and all sorts of stuff that I am NOT going to go back and learn just to do this, I will wait till someone can simplify it.

1. First of all - there are no simple solution. Media server doesn't know anything about your site's authorization, security model, etc. You can't tell the server which user has access to which channel without programming at all. On the other hand, the programming doesn't seem to be tricky so you could easily otsource it.

2. WOWZA is based on Red5. Generally it's better, but Red5 is free and open source, so it could give its benefits.

3. The other option is to use Adobe FMS. It still requires programming (see point 1), but it has very powerful security features included.

4. Another interesting question. Do you need media server at all? As I understand, you need to show videos from files. In this case it seems more convinient to just read the file from server through HTTPS. In this case you'll have much lower server load. You could have 10-20 more simultaneous connections per server.

On the other hand, this approach will require custom flash player and some server-side programming to reach the same level of protection as protected stream does. The maximum level of protection is "easier to save video by screen capture than by hacking".

That's how I see it at a first glance.

Have a good day guys
AdultWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote