PDA

View Full Version : IE10: Do not track by default?

RawAlex
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Not_Track#Internet_Explorer_10_default_setting_ controversy

Here's another wonderful challenge for marketing and affiliate programs... IE10 has decided that all sorts of tracking is OFF by default.

Particularly hard hit might be any affiliate promoting ccbill, which seems to be almost exclusively based on cookies (but someone can correct me if I am wrong).

Any idea how NATS and others would handle this? Will this just be another way for affiliate tracking to be lost or sales not credited because, well, they can't track it properly?

Toby
11-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Since all affiliate code tracking is handled by CCBill servers they can solve the issue easily by patching their servers to ignore the Do Not Track code.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Not_Track#Internet_Explorer_10_default_setting_ controversy
On September 7, 2012, Roy Fielding, an author of the Do Not Track standard, submitted a patch to the source code of the Apache HTTP Server, which would make the server explicitly ignore any use of the Do Not Track header by users of Internet Explorer 10. Fielding asserted that Microsoft's decision "deliberately violates" the standards of the Do Not Track specification because it "does not protect anyone's privacy unless the recipients believe it was set by a real human being, with a real preference for privacy over personalization." Fielding also felt that Microsoft knew its "false" Do Not Track signals would be ignored, and that its goal was to effectively give an illusion of privacy while still catering to their own interests.[22]

The Do Not Track system is completely voluntary, and there are no legal or technological requirements for its use. As such, not all websites and advertisers will honour the request or may completely ignore it altogether.

RawAlex
11-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Considering that CCBill is the finest technology from 1998, I wonder.