PDA

View Full Version : Joplin, MO

miz_wright
05-30-2011, 09:38 AM
As you all know, it's been an incredibly tough year for a lot of people as a result of a very active tornado season.

I don't usually come here and ask for anything, but I'm helping put together a relief trip to Joplin, since the town pretty much disappeared. We're working with local authorities to get what's needed most, and we have several generators already together - but we need money for the fuel to run them enough to be worthwhile (we anticipate about 200 gallons of fuel over time). We're also gathering the usual supplies - first aid, clean clothes, shoes, blankets, protective gear for clean up, tools, tarps, food, etc.

That's why I'm here.

I know you are all good guys, and as much as I'd like to front the whole thing on my own, I can't. I'm hoping that you will think it worth a few bucks - every bit helps and gets us closer to being able to make an impact for these people. I get not wanting to ship crap to me, and I sure as hell can't come pick things up - so if you have gift cards lying around for Walmart, Target, grocery stores, sporting goods, home improvement, and so on lying around, or if you feel comfy sending funds via PayPal - please let me know.

I know this isn't the usual stuff that comes here, and I know I risk getting shut down - but I also thought it worth the risk.

Thanks, y'all.

softball
05-30-2011, 02:03 PM
That is such a good idea, Lizz. I have actually given my resources to Slave Lake whose town was pretty much got wiped out (http://calexora.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/prayers-for-residents-of-slave-lake-alberta-and-our-firefighters/)

miz_wright
05-30-2011, 05:39 PM
That is such a good idea, Lizz. I have actually given my resources to Slave Lake whose town was pretty much got wiped out (http://calexora.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/prayers-for-residents-of-slave-lake-alberta-and-our-firefighters/)

Thanks, Rhetty.

I know a lot of people contribute to the Red Cross and other aid organisations, but sometimes, those get eaten up in admin costs and other things -and we're going directly into Joplin to help where it's needed right now.

Hell Puppy
05-30-2011, 06:29 PM
You should check out fundrazr on Facebook, it's outstanding for this type of thing. I've used it to make donations several times.

miz_wright
05-31-2011, 08:43 AM
You should check out fundrazr on Facebook, it's outstanding for this type of thing. I've used it to make donations several times.

In this case, my buddy is driving down himself and is trying to fill his truck and trailer, but will look into it for future possibilities.