PDA

View Full Version : If you buy content, it’s yours on any screen you own,

gonzo
07-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Anyone agree or disagree with this statement?

RawAlex
07-09-2010, 09:50 AM
... provided you do not break drm to see it, and that you are not "seeing" it in more than one place at the same time (ie, you bought a single use copy).

it would be different if you rent the content (subscription model, from paysites to Netflix), as you only technically have the rights to the content for the time you have rented it.

gonzo
07-09-2010, 10:41 AM
... provided you do not break drm to see it, and that you are not "seeing" it in more than one place at the same time (ie, you bought a single use copy).

it would be different if you rent the content (subscription model, from paysites to Netflix), as you only technically have the rights to the content for the time you have rented it.
I think the above statement is the attiude of many consumers. They buy it htey want towatch it... tv,phone dvd,computer,ipad,Ipod, etc.

RawAlex
07-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Yup, but consumers have been very reluctant to support any system that allows them to easily move the content around legally. so we end up with mass piracy, because they dont want to respect creator's rights.

softball
07-09-2010, 01:16 PM
The DMCA has got to go. Safe Harbour is an outdated concept. You host illegal shit, you take the rap.
I am doing two day rentals now and that is a popular concept. But then again, most of my customers are pretty legal guys. But there are thieves as well.
Going after the billing companies is a good plan. It has limited but substantial effect on some smaller scale thieves.
Personally, I would shut down anyone...including the billing providers...for any kind of illegal activities. Choke the money, end the piracy.

gonzo
07-09-2010, 01:27 PM
The DMCA has got to go. Safe Harbour is an outdated concept. You host illegal shit, you take the rap.
I am doing two day rentals now and that is a popular concept. But then again, most of my customers are pretty legal guys. But there are thieves as well.
Going after the billing companies is a good plan. It has limited but substantial effect on some smaller scale thieves.
Personally, I would shut down anyone...including the billing providers...for any kind of illegal activities. Choke the money, end the piracy.

A pretty smart guy once said.. "Follow the money, it will answer ALL of your questions." (http://oprano.com/pearls.html)

EmporerEJ
07-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Anyone agree or disagree with this statement?

Within reason, yes.