TheEnforcer
03-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Census caught in anger toward Washington
Officials worry low response rate is a form of protest
By RICHARD S. DUNHAM and MEREDITH SIMONS
WASHINGTON BUREAU
March 27, 2010, 7:51AM

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6932410.html

WASHINGTON — Texas is counting on the 2010 Census to deliver four new congressional districts, four new Electoral College votes in presidential elections, and millions of dollars in additional federal aid. But, as some elected officials are starting to worry, Uncle Sam can't deliver anything to the rapidly growing Sun Belt state unless Texas residents deliver their forms back to the government.

As of Friday afternoon, only 27 percent of Texas households had filled in and returned their census forms — well below the national average of 34 percent — according to computer data from the U.S. Census Bureau. In Harris County, the response rate is 23 percent. Houston's returns are running at 21 percent.

Contrary to historical trends, some of the toughest challenges facing the agency responsible for measuring the nation's population are not from counting the traditionally undercounted groups such as African-Americans and Latinos. Instead, a new and growing threat to an accurate national head count is coming from anti-government conservatives who may not fill out their forms to protest against “Big Brother” in Washington.

“There's a general distrust of the federal government at every level, starting with Congress and the president, all the way down to executive branch agencies,” says Rep. Mike Conaway, R-Midland.

============================

I hope it costs those ignorant fools come redistricting time.

tony404
03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Census caught in anger toward Washington
Officials worry low response rate is a form of protest
By RICHARD S. DUNHAM and MEREDITH SIMONS
WASHINGTON BUREAU
March 27, 2010, 7:51AM

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6932410.html

WASHINGTON — Texas is counting on the 2010 Census to deliver four new congressional districts, four new Electoral College votes in presidential elections, and millions of dollars in additional federal aid. But, as some elected officials are starting to worry, Uncle Sam can't deliver anything to the rapidly growing Sun Belt state unless Texas residents deliver their forms back to the government.

As of Friday afternoon, only 27 percent of Texas households had filled in and returned their census forms — well below the national average of 34 percent — according to computer data from the U.S. Census Bureau. In Harris County, the response rate is 23 percent. Houston's returns are running at 21 percent.

Contrary to historical trends, some of the toughest challenges facing the agency responsible for measuring the nation's population are not from counting the traditionally undercounted groups such as African-Americans and Latinos. Instead, a new and growing threat to an accurate national head count is coming from anti-government conservatives who may not fill out their forms to protest against “Big Brother” in Washington.

“There's a general distrust of the federal government at every level, starting with Congress and the president, all the way down to executive branch agencies,” says Rep. Mike Conaway, R-Midland.

============================

I hope it costs those ignorant fools come redistricting time.
the funny thing is the right fanned these fires now its going to bite them in the ass. lol

softball
03-29-2010, 10:59 AM
the funny thing is the right fanned these fires now its going to bite them in the ass. lol
I have been following this debacle in Washington. I am not sure if there is a huge level of distrust outside the vocal minority who claims there is.

RawAlex
03-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Texas will likely be the first state to cede from the nation, I am guessing less than 20 years from now.

MRock
03-29-2010, 12:16 PM
part of the problem is that the census references the date April 1st for your household count, which to many people means it doesn't need to be done until then ... just an observation ... I just turned mine in Saturday

Cleo
03-29-2010, 12:18 PM
I can't believe the race questions on the form. Who's wonderful idea was it to put Negro on the form?

We started filling our out last night and got so irritated with it that we fed it to the paper shredder.

Cleo
03-29-2010, 12:19 PM
I can't believe the race questions on the form. Who's wonderful idea was it to put Negro on the form?

We started filling our out last night and got so irritated with it that we fed it to the paper shredder.

RawAlex
03-29-2010, 12:55 PM
part of the problem is that the census references the date April 1st for your household count, which to many people means it doesn't need to be done until then ... just an observation ... I just turned mine in Saturday

What happens if some homeless guy moves in over the weekend? You are going to be WRONG! :)

softball
03-29-2010, 01:34 PM

What would you have said, j/c?

TheEnforcer
03-29-2010, 01:40 PM
I have been following this debacle in Washington. I am not sure if there is a huge level of distrust outside the vocal minority who claims there is.

Well, they are lagging significantly behind in returns for the census so it can make a big difference.