PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98

Electra
09-26-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm still trying to pull things together since Dravyk passed away so yesterday I drag out these two laptops we've had forever, because those were the ones we took to Vegas when we went and I want to see what's on them, and I boot them up and they are running on Windows 98!!!! So of course me being the techie I think I've become I decide to upgrade them with Win XP at least..and now nothing works on them and I have to go download all the newest versions of the programs I need from scratch LOL . So thats going to be MY weekend...what are you guys going to be doing?

There's also some kind of parade in Philadelphia today..the Polaski Day Parade? Something like that. I might run out and have a look at that.

Robert
09-26-2009, 01:59 PM
LOL! The machine I'm posting this on is still using Win98. Old machine, never has to do anything too complicated, works just fine, it'll serve its purpose until it dies. Scooting my chair to the right a bit puts me in front of two modern machines, so no hassle.

Big car show in Bellingham today and the weather is perfect. Heading out as soon as I finish my lunch :)

Cleo
09-26-2009, 03:19 PM
All our Macs work perfectly...

Toby
09-26-2009, 03:20 PM

Well isn't that special :hmm:

Electra
09-26-2009, 03:20 PM
LOL! The machine I'm posting this on is still using Win98. Old machine, never has to do anything too complicated, works just fine, it'll serve its purpose until it dies. Scooting my chair to the right a bit puts me in front of two modern machines, so no hassle.

Big car show in Bellingham today and the weather is perfect. Heading out as soon as I finish my lunch :)

I was using Windows ME for the longest time..never had a problem with it. Everyone kept saying it was full of flaws and that it kept crashing them though.

Toby
09-26-2009, 03:22 PM
I was using Windows ME for the longest time..never had a problem with it. Everyone kept saying it was full of flaws and that it kept crashing them though.

Windows ME was fine, so long as it came installed with the computer. Upgrading to or from ME was nightmare.

Electra
09-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Windows ME was fine, so long as it came installed with the computer. Upgrading to or from ME was nightmare.

Mine did come with the computer..I remember now. Think it was an old Dell.
I'm dreading the upgrade to Vista..or whatever the newest Windows is going to be. I'm always concerned I am going to mess everything up.

RawAlex
09-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Careful on going from XP to anything else on older computers, they may not have the horsepower to do the jump. XP isn't a great operating system, but it doesn't need really fancy hardware to run. Vista is pretty fussy about what it runs on.

Windows7? There is another can of worms - at least better than Vista.

sarettah
09-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I still run a 98 box as my home server, works just fine.

I have an ME box downstairs, it has always had "issues" and yes ME was pre-installed. One of these days I will upgrade it to 98 ;p

Have several XP boxes, Home, Pro and Media center versions.

Still don't have a Vista box. I think I will be jumping past Vista right to 7. Going to a free seminar coming up and supposed to be getting a copy of 7 just for going.

DannyCox
09-26-2009, 05:19 PM
We also still have a laptop running Windows 98. Carol uses it from time to time, and the thing still works great! The other laptop is running Windows 2000.

We also have a couple of Macs here, but they are just another tool like any computer or PC. We use them primarily for video editing and Carol uses one for her day to day on-line work. I still mainly use a PC for everything else. A Mac alone just can't really cut it.

DannyCox
09-26-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm using Vista on this box that I am typing on now. I needed a new PC and got a big loaded bad boy with the new i7 quad processor and 24 Megs of Ram. The only choice was Vista with the free upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released next month.

Of course, I changed the look to the "Windows Classic" theme ;)

RawAlex
09-26-2009, 06:01 PM
My laptop had vista on it, was pretty much a raving piece of crap to deal with. Upgrade it to Window7 RC7100, and it has been fine ever since. Vista is pretty much exactly like ME, an incomplete operating system, a failure.

Danny, only 24 meg of ram? My phone has more than that, I think!

DannyCox
09-26-2009, 06:20 PM
oops! 24 GB of Ram ;)

Robert
09-26-2009, 06:27 PM
I've been using 7 on one for about a week. Pretty cool so far, but I haven't really spent that much time with it. My Win98 machine basically just spends it's day thinking about statsremote.

Toby
09-26-2009, 06:32 PM
..My Win98 machine basically just spends it's day thinking about statsremote.

/me :inlove: StatsRemote :)

RawAlex
09-26-2009, 06:54 PM
I have actually found windows 7 to be pretty decent, less annoying to deal with than vista, and seems to use a fair bit less resources too. I do get the feeling at least of a significantly more robust OS than Vista could ever be. I put it on my laptop a few months back, and aside from pissing off Norton, it has worked pretty well.

gonzo
09-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Free microsoft bob!!!!

tony404
09-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Thats why I laugh when people say hd the bigger the better. Im like I still got customers on web tv and win 98. And from this thread its still used by a larger number than one would think.

EmporerEJ
09-27-2009, 02:34 AM

And all three programs, right?

EmporerEJ
09-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Thats why I laugh when people say hd the bigger the better. Im like I still got customers on web tv and win 98. And from this thread its still used by a larger number than one would think.

I have a Vista laptop in a bag. Where it spends most of its time. XP on everything else except one laptop we encode micro-controllers with, (win 98) and a winNT machine that runs the 24hr Video vending machine.

Robert
09-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I have actually found windows 7 to be pretty decent, less annoying to deal with than vista, and seems to use a fair bit less resources too. I do get the feeling at least of a significantly more robust OS than Vista could ever be.

So far I'd say the same.

Cleo
09-27-2009, 11:06 AM
And all three programs, right?
All three a probably a few more then your run at the same time. :whistling
http://terrizamore.com/b/All_three_and_a_few_more.png

DannyCox
09-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Cleo, you really should do something that even Mac suggests. that is quitting pograms you aren't using to free up memory! That is one of the problems with the Mac...if you don't actually "quit" a program, it stays active in the background. When you have a bunch of those running, it really slows down the memory hog programs like FCP and Photoshop.

Your Mac is showing 117 processes running, at idle, while there is only 56 system processes that are required to be run. That means you have 61 other processes running that are using up resources that could be better used on your main programs.

We've been running Macs for years for video processing and with FCP, you really need to wring out everything you can. Like most Mac users, I learned the hard and slow way on how to treat the thing to get the best from it ;)

But as I said earlier, a Mac is just another tool and no better or worse than a well taken care of Windows box or another OS like Linux. I use them all as they all have areas they excel at.

Cleo
09-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Cleo, you really should do something that even Mac suggests. that is quitting pograms you aren't using to free up memory!
Why would I do that? Everything is very fast and switching between programs is almost instant with no need to wait for a program to open.

Sounds like your Mac needs more RAM or something if you are having slowdowns with a lot of programs open.

sarettah
09-27-2009, 12:18 PM
MAC Fight !!! MAC Fight !!! :clapping:

DannyCox
09-27-2009, 01:01 PM
It does only have 8 GB of Ram which is the maximum amount it can take. But I guess I'm just an old school guy who is really anal about keeping things clean and working fast. It's also just good practice that I brought with me from my Engineering days. You may think everything is just flying, but believe me, it isn't. Once you get into some real software that needs the memory, then you notice the difference. Apple software is like Adobe stuff, it takes all the memory it can.

Unless I plan to use a program within the next 5 minutes, I don't just close it, I "quit" it. That frees up both the CPU and the Ram for the programs that work better with more of each available. After all, I can afford the extra few seconds it takes to open it from a non-resident state ;)

tony404
09-27-2009, 01:17 PM
The macs are nice but by the time I get a video editing quality machine and final cut pro. The cost is just too high to justify.

Cleo
09-27-2009, 01:22 PM
I think it also depends on your workflow.

If I'm doing movies in FC or rendering movies in Episode then I will only open those programs while I need them and then quit them afterwards.

Most of the time I going between GoLive (soon to be replaced by DreamWeaver) Photoshop, BBEdit, while checking my stuff in Firefox, Safari and Windows IE while surfing in Safari while taking care of mail in Mail while chatting in Adium while doing a file transfer in CyberDuck while doing a rsync in Terminal and doing screen sharing to one of my other Macs that is doing something else. Then there are a utilitarian programs like Address Book, iCal, Stickies etc that use so little system resources that it's pointless to bother quitting them. Ironically the only program that I do leave open and can be somewhat of a resource hog is Activity Monitor, it's not that bad, but I kept it open so that I can spot something that is slowing down my system and kill it.

As someone that has been using Macs since the eighties I'm absolutely amazed at how well Mac X handles memory.

DannyCox
09-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Cleo, have you upgraded to Snow Lopard yet? I still haven't as I always wait a couple of months for the bugs to be worked out. But from what I have heard from a couple of friends, it really speeds everything up.

Tony, I have video going constantly. We shoot 3 new full videos every week, and I still have close to 800 videos from "the old days" to re-edit in high quality formats. I also output the videos to various formats and sizes and the speed I get out of the Mac for that far outweighs a cheaper PC solution. The productivity I get fully justifies the expense. I have both Premiere Pro CS4 and Vegas Pro 9 on this box, and neither can touch the speed of running FCP on a Mac. I can cut, render and output video in about a third of the time. I do still cut video on this box, mainly with Vegas, as it is sitting here and capable.

gonzo
09-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Cleo, have you upgraded to Snow Lopard yet? I still haven't as I always wait a couple of months for the bugs to be worked out. But from what I have heard from a couple of friends, it really speeds everything up.

Tony, I have video going constantly. We shoot 3 new full videos every week, and I still have close to 800 videos from "the old days" to re-edit in high quality formats. I also output the videos to various formats and sizes and the speed I get out of the Mac for that far outweighs a cheaper PC solution. The productivity I get fully justifies the expense. I have both Premiere Pro CS4 and Vegas Pro 9 on this box, and neither can touch the speed of running FCP on a Mac. I can cut, render and output video in about a third of the time. I do still cut video on this box, mainly with Vegas, as it is sitting here and capable.

Danny

Do yourself a service and go grab a copy of Snow Leopard. Took about an hour...reclaimed some space and the programs are running a lot more stable.

Cleo
09-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Cleo, have you upgraded to Snow Lopard yet?
Snow leopard is great. It's faster and I got back some much needed drive space.

I had to upgrade Crossover, A Better Finder Rename, Copy Past Pro, and put Safari in 32 bit mode so that Spell Catcher and Copy Paste Pro worked with it but everything else that I use has been issue free.

Hell Puppy
09-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I have Vista on exactly one machine, and have regretted it from about a week in. I bought a new notebook and had no choice. I have already pre-purchased windows 7 and anxiously await it's arrival despite the fact it's going to be a pain to upgrade since fucking Microsoft decided they'd only do like version to like version in place.

EmporerEJ
09-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Frankly, I just wish these damn companies would quit coming out with "new and improved," which never is, and just fix the shit they gave us in the first place.

I don't need all the bells and whistles, that are actually just versions of the same thing over again. Just FIX IT!

housekeeper
09-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Interesting stuff, I use both PC and Mac, just bought a new PC with free upgrade to W7. I went to upgrade to Snow Leopard, but can't do it direct from Tiger (10.4), just a few more bucks but I'll get to it. Like to do my Photoshop on PC, video on Mac, love them both...

Cleo
09-28-2009, 04:20 PM
I went to upgrade to Snow Leopard, but can't do it direct from Tiger (10.4)
Apple says that you can go from Tigar to Snow Leoprd even with the upgrade disk.

housekeeper
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Apple says that you can go from Tigar to Snow Leoprd even with the upgrade disk.
By that do you mean the one for $29? They tried to sell me the three disc set for $167, seemed odd that's why I didn't purchase it then.

Thanks for the tip Miss Cleo, I'll have to research it...

Cleo
09-30-2009, 05:38 PM
By that do you mean the one for $29? They tried to sell me the three disc set for $167, seemed odd that's why I didn't purchase it then.

Thanks for the tip Miss Cleo, I'll have to research it...
The $29 dollar disk is all you need. (24.95 at Best Buy)

I know for sure it will go from Tigar to Snow Leopard and I've heard it will even install on a blank drive.

The $167 has the full version of iWork and iLife too.

housekeeper
10-01-2009, 02:55 PM
The $29 dollar disk is all you need. (24.95 at Best Buy)
I know for sure it will go from Tigar to Snow Leopard and I've heard it will even install on a blank drive.
The $167 has the full version of iWork and iLife too.
Right, the gal at the Apple store must have been doing a little hustling, good thing I'm distrusting of everyone, lol..

Miss Cleo you have edified me, I thank you and Snow Leopard here I come...

Steve-ATCI
10-01-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm running XP and Vista now, but looking forward to upgrading to Windows 7. My old 98 worked fine, but the upgrade to ME was horrible.