PDA

View Full Version : Any Flash Wizards here?

softball
08-14-2009, 02:13 AM
I have a shitpot of encoding to do and any program I use seems to take forever. Wmv files encode at a fraction of the time. Am I missing something?

DannyCox
08-14-2009, 01:20 PM
I use VisualHub on the Mac. Does high quality HD FLV files in no time at all. Will convert from almost any source. I've tried a few programs for the PC, and they have all been a lot slower for conversion.

gonzo
08-14-2009, 04:11 PM
I use VisualHub on the Mac. Does high quality HD FLV files in no time at all. Will convert from almost any source. I've tried a few programs for the PC, and they have all been a lot slower for conversion.
I was about to say the same thing.
Send that shit Graham Ill fix you up.

EmporerEJ
08-15-2009, 05:09 AM
Is this a hardware issue, or a software issue?

softball
08-15-2009, 12:23 PM
I was about to say the same thing.
Send that shit Graham Ill fix you up.

Thanks G. I am experimenting a little to speed it up. If I get really stuck, I will call you.

softball
08-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Is this a hardware issue, or a software issue?
I am pretty sure its a software issue. At the moment I am using Cleaner XL which seems as fast or slow as the rest of them. I have a 2.3 quad core processor and huge amounts of memory both ram and hard drive. I am wondering about this next generation of video cards that process on board video. Anyone had any experience with them?

gonzo
08-15-2009, 01:05 PM
I am pretty sure its a software issue. At the moment I am using Cleaner XL which seems as fast or slow as the rest of them. I have a 2.3 quad core processor and huge amounts of memory both ram and hard drive. I am wondering about this next generation of video cards that process on board video. Anyone had any experience with them?
A nice card can cut your render time to a fraction of the original.

Hell Puppy
08-16-2009, 05:29 AM
A nice card can cut your render time to a fraction of the original.

Only if upgrading from something archaic. No one is really using the GPU for doing much more than de-interlacing.

If going full out with a ton of video on a regular basis, if it were me I'd throw a Linux server on the network that is a horse and setup batch jobs to look in a folder and encode whatever is there and drop it into another folder when done. That way I could just drop 'em and let it chew 24/7 if needed. Minimal investment as the machine doesn't really need a nice monitor or anything else beyond cpu, ram, hard drives, etc.

Damn, something like that would be a great trade show seminar....an industrious fellow could probably even sell boxes...but I digress...

But I've sometimes been known to be a bit of a geek...heh

For flash encoding in particular, your bottle neck is likely CPU. I'd throw the fastest quadcore processor I could find at it.

Look at any other potential bottlenecks as well. I wouldn't encode across the LAN, i'd make it local with the files on hard drive on encoding machine. And the drive doing the work should be a fast one.

Unless you are 64 bit, anything above 2 gigs of ram probably isn't being used.

The windows world will change in this regard over next 6 months. I'm guessing most Windows 7 installs will be 64 bit, and I know there are hardware encoding solutions coming.

softball
08-16-2009, 10:25 AM
For flash encoding in particular, your bottle neck is likely CPU. I'd throw the fastest quadcore processor I could find at it.

Look at any other potential bottlenecks as well. I wouldn't encode across the LAN, i'd make it local with the files on hard drive on encoding machine. And the drive doing the work should be a fast one.

Just did all that. My computer guy says that the next generation of video cards will solve my problem. But at the moment, I just have to be patiient and let it chug along.