PDA

View Full Version : This is a scarey movie

softball
07-30-2009, 12:28 AM
I just saw Food Inc. If you want a clue about what you are eating, you should see this film.
And if you are still interested after that you might want to read
"The Omnivore's Dilema" by Michael Pollan.

Evil Chris
07-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Spelling isn't a strength for you is it?

TheEnforcer
07-30-2009, 10:53 AM
No thanks.. ignorance is bliss as they say and when it coems to my food as picky as I am I don't need to see soemthing that will take even more stuff off the menu for me!! LOL

thepunisher
07-30-2009, 10:56 AM
never heard that movie before

softball
07-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Spelling isn't a strength for you is it?
It is actually....Leafs? bump for crhiz

Evil Chris
07-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Stop whining. You can't spell.

Just man up to it.

softball
07-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Stop whining. You can't spell.

Just man up to it.

Face it, Evil Chris, you are stirring shit, hi jacking a thread......again just to get your sig bumped. This has nothing to do with food manufacturing or movies. It is just the same old same old shit you post on a ton of boards and has made your own board boring as shit with little of interest. Shame you didn't look me up when you were on the west coast, I could have told you that in person. But then again, you might have to put your stick on the ice and that will never happen.

Evil Chris
07-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Don't tell me to face it. YOU face it. :)

miz_wright
07-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Isn't that the actual information from Fast Food Nation?

I was really confused by the story they jacked into the movie, but the book FFN (... interesting coincidence, there, eh?) freaked my shit OUT.

The Omnivore's Dilemma has been on my Amazon wishlist for a while, but I haven't gotten 'round to reading it yet.

softball
07-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Don't tell me to face it. YOU face it. :)

So now your back...hmmm. Surprise pitching a new product. Do you actually do anything but pitch. Why don't you just start a new thread instead of another hi jacking. I know, with so many boards to spam, you don't have time for anything more than a one line bump post.

softball
07-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Isn't that the actual information from Fast Food Nation?

I was really confused by the story they jacked into the movie, but the book FFN (... interesting coincidence, there, eh?) freaked my shit OUT.

The Omnivore's Dilemma has been on my Amazon wishlist for a while, but I haven't gotten 'round to reading it yet.

I think if you read Dilemma first, then see Food Inc. it will become clear. The film has a few melodramatic flaws and a few shock value images but if you stay the course it improves. Like all opinion pieces, it is propoganda. But if you are interested in the subject, like anything else, your opinion becomes a sum total of a variety of sources and this film is a decent toe in the water.
If FFN freaked you out, I think Dilemma will goes deeper into the root causes.

An interesting point made in Food Inc., is the freedom you lose when four or five companies control just about everything you eat, and most of that is corn based and through high fructose corn syrup which is primarily responsible for the very serious diabetes epidemic in the Western world. Five years ago, I didn't know anyone with diabetes. Now I know five people ranging from 27 to 53 years old. Scarey but preventable.

These companies fight tooth and nail to shut down labelling laws. That takes away your freedom to choose what you eat when you can't find out where your food originates or if it has been genetically modified.

I could go on, but the book and many like it do a pretty good job if you read between the obvious spin.

softball
07-31-2009, 12:22 PM
So now your back...hmmm. Surprise pitching a new product. Do you actually do anything but pitch. Why don't you just start a new thread instead of another hi jacking. I know, with so many boards to spam, you don't have time for anything more than a one line bump post.
BTW, Chris. This is obvious shit stirring. Now, who stirs shit and who doesn't. I have come to the conclusion that your apoplexy is based in jealousy. But you keep on keepin on and hanging out with spammers. You will prolly...choice of words....learn something. You know the kind of people we all hate, like your friends who can no longer post here.

LOL

You slinked back east without a golf game!!!

meeeeooooowwwwww

miz_wright
07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
I think if you read Dilemma first, then see Food Inc. it will become clear. The film has a few melodramatic flaws and a few shock value images but if you stay the course it improves. Like all opinion pieces, it is propoganda. But if you are interested in the subject, like anything else, your opinion becomes a sum total of a variety of sources and this film is a decent toe in the water.
If FFN freaked you out, I think Dilemma will goes deeper into the root causes.

An interesting point made in Food Inc., is the freedom you lose when four or five companies control just about everything you eat, and most of that is corn based and through high fructose corn syrup which is primarily responsible for the very serious diabetes epidemic in the Western world. Five years ago, I didn't know anyone with diabetes. Now I know five people ranging from 27 to 53 years old. Scarey but preventable.

These companies fight tooth and nail to shut down labelling laws. That takes away your freedom to choose what you eat when you can't find out where your food originates or if it has been genetically modified.

I could go on, but the book and many like it do a pretty good job if you read between the obvious spin.

I don't really give a shit about GMOs - there's a lotta noise about it, and has been, but frankly: Hi, read some Mendel. This isn't new stuff, and nature does it anyhow. If we dropped the chemical fertilisers and pesticides 'n all of that, we wouldn't even need to sweat how to make veggies that evade cutworm. 'Cos guess what? Tomatoes will BREED THEMSELVES to do it!
NEAT! Lookit nature GO.

[/rant]

Sorry for the hijack, but GAH, that bugs me.

I do most of my shopping "around the edges" of the store, 'cos I am a fan of doing things from the start - that way I know what's in my food.

softball
07-31-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't really give a shit about GMOs - there's a lotta noise about it, and has been, but frankly: Hi, read some Mendel. This isn't new stuff, and nature does it anyhow. If we dropped the chemical fertilisers and pesticides 'n all of that, we wouldn't even need to sweat how to make veggies that evade cutworm. 'Cos guess what? Tomatoes will BREED THEMSELVES to do it!
NEAT! Lookit nature GO.

[/rant]

Sorry for the hijack, but GAH, that bugs me.

I do most of my shopping "around the edges" of the store, 'cos I am a fan of doing things from the start - that way I know what's in my food.

The problem with gmo is more political in nature. Since companies have been able to patent life forms, firms like Mons anto have locked up crops.

Its in this film, but well known. Mon santo wants 100 per cent of all the soy crops in the world to be "owned" by them and they spare no expense protecting their patent. If you have a field next to a round up ready field and their is cross pollination and then you harvest the seeds, M onsanto will legally put you out of business for patent theft.

Which crop will be next? That is the issue. The food might be safe, but chemical companies will decide the source. Imagine the power of controlling food. It is ultimately more powerful than oil or information.

It doesn't matter if you abandon the centre aisles and shop the perimeter, you will lose the freedom to choose and ultimately the price you pay will be fixed and the free market goes out the window. It pretty much is at the moment, but soon the "pretty much" will be gone.

BTW, I am not guilt free. I once did a campaign for Monsan to on Round Up Ready. In my defense, it was before I understood the import of what they are actually doing.

miz_wright
07-31-2009, 03:56 PM
The problem with gmo is more political in nature. Since companies have been able to patent life forms, firms like Mons anto have locked up crops.

Its in this film, but well known. Mon santo wants 100 per cent of all the soy crops in the world to be "owned" by them and they spare no expense protecting their patent. If you have a field next to a round up ready field and their is cross pollination and then you harvest the seeds, M onsanto will legally put you out of business for patent theft.

Which crop will be next? That is the issue. The food might be safe, but chemical companies will decide the source. Imagine the power of controlling food. It is ultimately more powerful than oil or information.

It doesn't matter if you abandon the centre aisles and shop the perimeter, you will lose the freedom to choose and ultimately the price you pay will be fixed and the free market goes out the window. It pretty much is at the moment, but soon the "pretty much" will be gone.

BTW, I am not guilt free. I once did a campaign for Monsan to on Round Up Ready. In my defense, it was before I understood the import of what they are actually doing.

*nods*

M0ns@nto and C0n@gra and those chicken people are way up there in monopolising the food chain - and to me, that's the greater issue beyond the scare-tactics on the "frankenfood" argument (which is what we see most of here - much less about the ruthless nature of agribusiness and factory farming). I was thinking that's the direction you went w/ GMOs, not the monopolisation of food supply chains.

Kinda makes me long for the days of the victory gardens, honestly. And don't think I haven't given serious consideration to my own plot.

softball
07-31-2009, 06:09 PM
*nods*

M0ns@nto and C0n@gra and those chicken people are way up there in monopolising the food chain - and to me, that's the greater issue beyond the scare-tactics on the "frankenfood" argument (which is what we see most of here - much less about the ruthless nature of agribusiness and factory farming). I was thinking that's the direction you went w/ GMOs, not the monopolisation of food supply chains.

Kinda makes me long for the days of the victory gardens, honestly. And don't think I haven't given serious consideration to my own plot.

I have a victory garden and it is amazing how much you can grow in a small space. It saves money, but more importantly, I know where the food is coming from. It may be gm, I have no idea. But next year, I am going to be more careful. Why not when you are doing it yourself. I also live right beside about ten farmer's markets which is amazing. I got involved in this because of the taste of the food and it just kind of spun out of control. Trust me, I am not some kind of wierd food nazi, but we eat better and feel better now.

softball
07-31-2009, 06:25 PM
It also says something when we can't spell the full name of a company. I am sure you have thought about that. It kinda reminds me of McCarthy. Its a creepy feeling when you lose your freedom inch by inch and nobody says a word. However, big tobacco took a huge hit because of consumer action. And this industry needs no elections. You vote each time they scan a barcode of your purchase. Small steps, but it is growing. Wal Mart is selling organic food because of customer pressure. It is the only reason that Wal Mart sells a product.

Restaurants are watching programs like Gordon Ramsey and Jaimie Oliver and all the best joints around here are doing the local produce thing, from little cafes to fine dining. In Europe, the provenance of all the meat and veg are listed in most places. That is a start.
There is a lot of food out there that is killing us. Listing origins and ingredients gives you the choice without imposing on others. It is a most simple solution to what I think is a serious problem.

miz_wright
08-01-2009, 11:33 AM
I have a victory garden and it is amazing how much you can grow in a small space. It saves money, but more importantly, I know where the food is coming from. It may be gm, I have no idea. But next year, I am going to be more careful. Why not when you are doing it yourself. I also live right beside about ten farmer's markets which is amazing. I got involved in this because of the taste of the food and it just kind of spun out of control. Trust me, I am not some kind of wierd food nazi, but we eat better and feel better now.

I don't usually manage to make it to the farmers' market - mostly 'cos I am so often out of town at the weekends, and that's when I would be able to get to one. TO the best of my knowledge, we only have one locally. We do have a local organic/ co-op delivery program that I used to use - the farms were listed, and an order would be delivered every week or every other week. I've been wanting to get back to that, but frankly, haven't been able to for various reasons.

The garden is even more problematic with my recent travel schedule as the XY is crap at remembering to water plants. He can handle the critters 'cos they "talk" to him and stuff.

It also says something when we can't spell the full name of a company. I am sure you have thought about that. It kinda reminds me of McCarthy. Its a creepy feeling when you lose your freedom inch by inch and nobody says a word. However, big tobacco took a huge hit because of consumer action. And this industry needs no elections. You vote each time they scan a barcode of your purchase. Small steps, but it is growing. Wal Mart is selling organic food because of customer pressure. It is the only reason that Wal Mart sells a product.

Restaurants are watching programs like Gordon Ramsey and Jaimie Oliver and all the best joints around here are doing the local produce thing, from little cafes to fine dining. In Europe, the provenance of all the meat and veg are listed in most places. That is a start.
There is a lot of food out there that is killing us. Listing origins and ingredients gives you the choice without imposing on others. It is a most simple solution to what I think is a serious problem.

I try to support restaurants that use local foods where possible, too. That is one of the benefits of travel - I get to support organic local agribusiness - and one of my favourite bits about San Francisco.

softball
08-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Watering can be solved easily for about a hundred bucks. They sell an auto irrigation system at Lee Valley or just about any garden centre and it installs in about an hour. You can set the timer to as many times a day and for as many intervals as you need. Its fire and forget. You just need a knife and a screwdriver and if I can install it any bozo can.
We have six tomato plants and they produce more than we can handle and taste like sweet fruit, tons of herbs and even artichokes....its a hot summer (averaging in the nineties currently).

miz_wright
08-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Watering can be solved easily for about a hundred bucks. They sell an auto irrigation system at Lee Valley or just about any garden centre and it installs in about an hour. You can set the timer to as many times a day and for as many intervals as you need. Its fire and forget. You just need a knife and a screwdriver and if I can install it any bozo can.
We have six tomato plants and they produce more than we can handle and taste like sweet fruit, tons of herbs and even artichokes....its a hot summer (averaging in the nineties currently).

I've been thinking about doing rain harvesting, too, so I might see if I can rig a harvest system up to irrigation. My compost heaps are doing really well this year - I finally got my proportions right, and have actual SOIL living in one of them (when I turned it this morning I was happily gratified to see a giant earthworm colony in it), that I can supplement the clay we have here with.

*ponder*ponder*

softball
08-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I've been thinking about doing rain harvesting, too, so I might see if I can rig a harvest system up to irrigation. My compost heaps are doing really well this year - I finally got my proportions right, and have actual SOIL living in one of them (when I turned it this morning I was happily gratified to see a giant earthworm colony in it), that I can supplement the clay we have here with.

*ponder*ponder*

next year I will get around to it. But I am in a brand new place and its small steps at the moment.