PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions

Electra
06-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Wow..I haven't posted here in ages and didn't think I even knew my login info but it came up first thing I typed in . LOL

I'm thinking I should buy another computer...nothing brilliant. I don't play games or do much of anything on it except work my sites and maybe read a lot of news. What are you guys using these days? The one I'm using now is a custom built from Polywell. I've had two from them and both have been pretty good. Please don't tell me its cheaper to build my own or I should build my own. I don't even like to take the cover off mine to dust it. I can't imagine fiddling in the insides. Actually, not even sure what the insides look like. Any suggestions for a technically challenged person like me?

TheEnforcer
06-22-2009, 01:07 PM
I suggest one fo two routes...

1- http://www.dell.com I love Dell computers. They are well made and last along time. Takes but a few minutes to find what you need and they got decent enough customization options and you can get ongoing warranty and support/tech help options for someone who isn't a techie when it comes to computers. They have a number of different levels of computers you can get and have some nice packages. The support you can get is the big plus ehre though.

2- http://www.pricewatch.com A whole slew of brands and independant places that will build you a computer. Generally will be a bit cheaper than Dell but doesn't have the ongoing tech support options as a result. More computer bang for your buck but you're generally far more on your own if things go wrong.

Toby
06-22-2009, 01:08 PM
I quit building my own boxes several years ago. Dell can build and ship them cheaper than I can buy the parts, and I get a warranty.

Electra
06-22-2009, 01:56 PM
I always heard that Dell didn't have options..or enough options to upgrade with anything but Dell components. I don't know where I heard or read that but its stuck with me over the years. I think my first computer was a Dell..somebody gave it to me. I blew one computer out..think it just overheated playing a game, which I don't do any more.

gonzo
06-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Welcome back and hope you doing well.

Count me +3 in for Dell unless you have a close friend to build you one then you cant beat it.

RawAlex
06-22-2009, 03:30 PM
I build my own, but the Dell's I have seen are fine machines. Get 1 or 2 steps away from their top model and the prices tend to drop pretty quickly.

Robert
06-22-2009, 06:50 PM
I just sent off a Dell to one of my daughters, she seems pretty happy with it.

Electra
06-22-2009, 09:14 PM
I never realised Dell was so highly thought of. I was over on eBay and a lot of people in the Community swear by Dell.

What do you guys do with your old computers you want to get rid of? I assume you don't wear them out completely before you buy new ones. Do you just junk them..or raid them for spare parts..or maybe give them away?

Hell Puppy
06-22-2009, 10:49 PM
If you want built to order with quality and price, Dell is tough to beat right now. Amazing deals on both desktops and notebooks.

Proprietary parts are largely a non-issue. Dell has a good warranty and ships replacements with easy to follow instructions should something break. Most of the things you might actually want to upgrade before the computer is retired are indeed standard (hard drivers, ram, etc).

In most cases a computer is largely disposable these days at the current price points. By the time something breaks, you will usually be craving newer technology, and on the low end it's just not a huge investment.

I part out some computers, most get put to some kind of service though. I have some that have become linux boxes. Next PC I have with decent horsepower that I reply will likely become a media server.

If Dell isn't your thing and you truly want custom, go to Newegg.com.

softball
06-23-2009, 02:37 AM
what do you guys know about hackintoshes?

TheEnforcer
06-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I never realised Dell was so highly thought of. I was over on eBay and a lot of people in the Community swear by Dell.

What do you guys do with your old computers you want to get rid of? I assume you don't wear them out completely before you buy new ones. Do you just junk them..or raid them for spare parts..or maybe give them away?

If you don't want to deal with it yourself you can have Dell recycle your old system. It's one of the options when customizing your computer for them to send you.

Hell Puppy
06-23-2009, 10:39 PM
what do you guys know about hackintoshes?

it WILL save you time for video production.

it's easy to use and do what you want without a steep learning curve. hardware quality is good, ergonomics are unsurpassed.

downsides are obvious...cost being the big one. if you're like most of us and have an investment in Windows based software, you're buying it all over again ON TOP of the hardware costs.

my general rule of thumb is unless you're just trying to be a cool kid at starbucks with a macbook, they are not worth it unless you're using it to primarily do design, graphics, photo and video editing and that type of thing. if that's your purpose, consider it a high end tool to invest in.

softball
06-23-2009, 10:42 PM
it WILL save you time for video production.

it's easy to use and do what you want without a steep learning curve. hardware quality is good, ergonomics are unsurpassed.

downsides are obvious...cost being the big one. if you're like most of us and have an investment in Windows based software, you're buying it all over again ON TOP of the hardware costs.

my general rule of thumb is unless you're just trying to be a cool kid at starbucks with a macbook, they are not worth it unless you're using it to primarily do design, graphics, photo and video editing and that type of thing. if that's your purpose, consider it a high end tool to invest in.

I think we are on the wrong page. The Hackintosh is a hack that can open either a Windows os or a Mac os on the same puter. It apparently started in Brazil by a bunch of programmers that got stiffed by apple. I have seen it in action and it is pretty cool. someone is offering it to me, so I thought I would ask around.

Hell Puppy
06-23-2009, 10:45 PM
I think we are on the wrong page. The Hackintosh is a hack that can open either a Windows os or a Mac os on the same puter. It apparently started in Brazil by a bunch of programmers that got stiffed by apple. I have seen it in action and it is pretty cool. someone is offering it to me, so I thought I would ask around.

Yup, that one went right past me...

Electra
06-23-2009, 11:07 PM
If you don't want to deal with it yourself you can have Dell recycle your old system. It's one of the options when customizing your computer for them to send you.

Thats good to know. I never know what to do with my old PC's. I have three laptops now as well I don't know what to do with LOL

Toby
06-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Thats good to know. I never know what to do with my old PC's. I have three laptops now as well I don't know what to do with LOL

Wipe them clean of any personal info and donate them to your local school.

Electra
06-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Wipe them clean of any personal info and donate them to your local school.

Schools don't want them. My friend used to work at AT&T in New York. Every year they throw out dozens of old computers. They tried donating them to local area schools but were told that the schools only wanted new ones. That's how I got my first computer. Jimmy..my friend took a bunch of thrown out PCs out of the trash and gave them away. It worked perfectly LOL

Forest
06-24-2009, 06:51 PM
I bought a think pad and so far love it

they have a discount store on their site as well. Got mine brand new for 45% off the list price

and they have ALL usa based tech support. =)))