PDA

View Full Version : Dreamhost is Cybersquatting?

RawAlex
05-31-2009, 11:16 AM
(Story off of Perez Hilton of all places!)

Mel Gibson's girlfriend and baby mama Oksana Grigorieva is suing a web hosting company for buying the Oksana Grigorieva domain name and starting a website.

The company, DreamHost.com, is accused of "cybersquatting" by creating OksanaGrigorieva.com without Oksana's consent. Oksana filed the lawsuit with a L.A. County Superior Court, claiming the site portrayed itself to be an official domain, but also false information about her.

Toby
05-31-2009, 01:12 PM
From what I can see looking at whois data, dreamhost is not the registrant, only the host. Registration was through an Enom reseller.

softball
05-31-2009, 02:31 PM
its gone.

griffin8r
05-31-2009, 02:48 PM
There's defintely precedent for this. The only person that successfully fended off a suit to drop a domain name was some guy who registered his actual name, and was sued by a company that had the same name. Damned if I can remember who it was.

My wife actually registered AFLACVA.com and squatted it, using it as a redirect to some of her other sites after she had a falling out with the company (she sold their insurance for a while) - AFLAC threatened to sue the host, and they shut the site down.