PDA

View Full Version : Gannet going totally digital

gonzo
05-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Media powerhouse Gannett knows how to work fast and furious under deadline. Its recent challenge was to go mobile — transform its 900-plus publications, including the flagship USA TODAY®, from traditional printed formats into interactive, always-on digital media.

Found that on an apple site. What does everyone think of this?

Toby
05-19-2009, 06:46 PM
I get all my news online, and have for years. The local newspapers delivered to us free for three months. It just piled up by the trash unread.

bluemoney
05-19-2009, 07:03 PM
AJC = Fish Wrap

RawAlex
05-19-2009, 09:16 PM
going to suck trying to line the bird cage with iphones. Expensive for that bird to poop.

I think they are dead ending until they get a real revenue stream going on it. lets say this isn't the right time to move.

DannyCox
05-20-2009, 02:26 AM
I still get my Montreal Gazette and National Post delivered daily. My morning ritual is to sit down, relax, have a couple of cups of coffee, and read both rags. Once I'm done, I'm ready to start my day.

The thing I hate is the things the papers are doing now with their "Web Extras"! Just give me it there and then. I really can't be bothered to read the paper, then go on-line to get the sidebar content! That pisses me off and it may cause them to loose yet another customer.

I worked for TorSun Publishing for many years; before, during and after my university days. Like our industry, there is networking and you get to know many people. Some of the guys I worked with at the Edmonton Sun 30 years ago are working here in Montreal and we still meet for beers every couple of months. What is really killing revenue (aside from the drop in circulation) is the loss of classified ads in the newspapers. With places like Craigslist and Kijiji, why would anyone bother with paying for an ad in a paper with limited readership. The real money-maker in the rag trade was those little ads as the per inch rate is just so damn high when compared with anything else in the paper.