PDA

View Full Version : Sexting is bad, but this is ok?!

miz_wright
04-21-2009, 12:21 PM
We've all been reading news stories about high schoolers sending naughty pix to one another on their cell phones and having discussions about the litigiousness associated with it - and the ramifications for our industry.

But I am astounded that things like this (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090421/ap_on_go_su_co/us_scotus_school_strip_search) are happening simultaneously. I'm shocked that this isn't getting more media attention: a 13-year old girl strip searched by school officials looking for IBUPROFIN?! F'reals?

Thoughts? Indignation? C'mon - I know you guys have an opinion on this.

RawAlex
04-21-2009, 02:01 PM
School rules said no drugs period, prescription meds that had to be taken during the school day would have to be brought to the office by the parent and given in the office only.

The girl brought prescription strength meds to school, and tried to hide them.

Strip searches are excessive, but drugs are drug. Many kids today are getting high out of their parents medicine cabinet, not on illegal street drugs. Heck, some of them smoke sugar. Who would have thunk it?

gonzo
04-21-2009, 03:06 PM
To be fair you have school officials that are being convicted of webcams in girls toliets as well as many cases of having sex with teachers and etc.

I know when I was in high school ADVIL wasnt a concern.

But then we didnt have any hot teachers picking us students back then either.

miz_wright
04-21-2009, 03:16 PM
My concern is this:

Cocaine isn't legal anywhere, either. But if GonZo tells a cop that I am carrying, that isn't probably cause for a strip search.

And I'm a grown up. A 13 year old is almost certainly not capable of culpability for action.

tony404
04-21-2009, 03:24 PM
To be fair you have school officials that are being convicted of webcams in girls toliets as well as many cases of having sex with teachers and etc.

I know when I was in high school ADVIL wasnt a concern.

But then we didnt have any hot teachers picking us students back then either.

It was a very different time.

miz_wright
04-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Times are different - but I still don't think there are acceptable causes for strip searching a 13 year old.

Period.

DannyCox
04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Our daughter was suspended from school for 3 days when she was 16 for giving a friend one Tylenol! I ended up also getting "suspended" for a month when I confronted the Principal about it. He said he felt threatened by me! ;)

In Canada, a minor cannot be strip-searched for any reason without a parent or guardian being present. What they did to her is totally unacceptable. If it was my child, hell would have been paid.

griffin8r
04-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Our daughter was suspended from school for 3 days when she was 16 for giving a friend one Tylenol! I ended up also getting "suspended" for a month when I confronted the Principal about it. He said he felt threatened by me! ;)

In Canada, a minor cannot be strip-searched for any reason without a parent or guardian being present. What they did to her is totally unacceptable. If it was my child, hell would have been paid.

If I found out a school official strip-searched my daughter (I don't have one, but still) without my knowledge or permission, I'd have a bevy of lawyers so far up their asses they'd have to file for a continuance to take a shit.

TheEnforcer
04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
My concern is this:

Cocaine isn't legal anywhere, either. But if GonZo tells a cop that I am carrying, that isn't probably cause for a strip search.

And I'm a grown up. A 13 year old is almost certainly not capable of culpability for action.

Yeah.. that's excessive in my book.

TheEnforcer
04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
If I found out a school official strip-searched my daughter (I don't have one, but still) without my knowledge or permission, I'd have a bevy of lawyers so far up their asses they'd have to file for a continuance to take a shit.

Amen. :okthumb:

12ClicksMichele
04-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I have a 14 year old daughter and if anyone did something like this to her I would lose my damn mind. From what I understood the student that claimed she had the medicine never specified where she was carrying the pills and that when they searched her bookbag, locker and her they didn't find anything. I agree that they have to be concerned about the situation of drugs in schools but what is to stop some vindictive kid from saying something falsely so that another kid would have to suffer that kind of embarrassment. If they were convinced she had any prescription drugs on her they should have called her parents and police to handle the situation.

griffin8r
04-23-2009, 12:51 PM
If they were convinced she had any prescription drugs on her they should have called her parents and police to handle the situation.

The problem we have here is the school districts all over the country have claimed in loco parentis as a shield to commit all manner of civil rights violations against the kids for years.

You're forced to send your kids to school, under penalty of DSS interference, and you're also forced to cede your rights as the parent to the school under the in loco parentis clause while the kids are there.

miz_wright
04-23-2009, 01:46 PM
The problem we have here is the school districts all over the country have claimed in loco parentis as a shield to commit all manner of civil rights violations against the kids for years.

You're forced to send your kids to school, under penalty of DSS interference, and you're also forced to cede your rights as the parent to the school under the in loco parentis clause while the kids are there.

Sure, but a parent would very likely be hauled on abuse charges if s/he behaved like that and it was reported.