PDA

View Full Version : Online retail shopping sees decline

TheEnforcer
11-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Click link for full article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122764819199157439.html

Online Shopping to Plateau As Slump Hits Cyberspace
By CHRISTOPHER LAWTON

Nobody was expecting online shopping to be immune from the economic downturn, but most forecasts had been calling for at least a smidgen of growth. Now, even that hope is damped.

For the first 23 days of November, online sales declined 4% to $8.2 billion from $8.5 billion the same time last year, according to market-research firm comScore Inc. The firm projects that retail spending online in the months of November and December will total $29.2 billion, flat from the same period last year -- a dreary sign for online retailers, many of which had grown accustomed to double-digit gains.

The figures follow numbers from October, when online sales rose only 1% compared with a year earlier.

"The decline that we're seeing is unprecedented," said Andrew Lipsman, a senior manager at comScore.

Top_Of_Google_Man
11-27-2008, 08:16 PM
CC companies latest moves will see it decline further.

helix
11-27-2008, 11:30 PM
CC companies latest moves will see it decline further.

Spill it...whatcha know?

Hell Puppy
11-29-2008, 12:03 AM
This is natural. Online is simply a sales channel for most goods and services. If brick and mortar goes down, so does online, catalog sales, etc.

It is my expectation that sales are down for everyone in every channel, but discounters will have an increase share of the sales that ARE out there.

bluemoney
11-29-2008, 04:47 PM
I still like doing the greater part of my Xmas shopping online.

Hell Puppy
11-29-2008, 06:00 PM
I still like doing the greater part of my Xmas shopping online.

I typically do 90% of mine online.

And I even make Amazon wrap it.

bluemoney
11-30-2008, 12:07 AM
I typically do 90% of mine online.

And I even make Amazon wrap it.
Fuckin "A" Mang! :okthumb:

TheEnforcer
12-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah, but online sales have still increased even when brick and mortar have struggled in the past. Online sales were always ahea with their gains and such so this is rather significant.