PDA

View Full Version : Krispy Kreme suffers a coronary....

softball
10-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Better fill up the freezer because another one might bite the dust....

Crrrunch! Is Your Favorite Company About to Go Bust?

By Stephen Gandel (javascript:void(0)) Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2008

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2008/0810/bankrupt_comps_1021.jpg

For hundreds of U.S. companies, the federal bailout (http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1843213,00.html) may be too little, too late. Bankers, lawyers and credit analysts say the government's plan to invest billions into the nation's banks is doing little to ease the credit crunch for U.S. businesses. The result, they say, is that many companies now struggling to get financing may soon be out of business. "In the past few weeks, lending has been getting tighter, not looser," says Larry Flick, a partner at law firm Blank Rome, which helps companies get financing. "All the moves the government is making to end the credit crisis may have a trickle-down effect, but I am not seeing it yet."

In a report released Tuesday, ratings agency Standard & Poor's says there are 140 large U.S. companies in danger of not being able to pay their bills in the next few months, up nearly twofold from the beginning of this year. Among the troubled firms on the agency's list are such household names as clothing retailer Eddie Bauer, amusement park operator Six Flags (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,872690,00.html) and pizza chain Sbarro. Also on the list are doughnut baker Krispy Kreme and mobile technology titan Palm, as well as a number of the nation's largest airlines, including JetBlue (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1829790,00.html) and the corporate parents of United and American.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1852671,00.html

Dravyk
10-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Ohmigawd!!!

Gonzo?! Are you alright?

Speak to me, boy!!! Call 911!!!

RawAlex
10-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Like anything, the brands and such may survive, but not the companies running them. Notice all of them are luxury or service companies (not required for living stuff).

As a side note, even Amazon.com is showing significantly lower sales for the last quarter, and is trading down 10-15% in after hours so far.

Hell Puppy
10-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Krispy Kreme will Chapter 11 but come out ok. They tried to expand too rapidly and into areas where people dont understand the difference between a doughnut and a small cake with a hole in it.

Then got caught cooking the books and the stock tanked. That puts a debt burden that is going to be probably impossible to get rid of. They need a management change. The brand is still strong especially in the south.

And yeah, it's a luxury item, but here in the south they make a ton selling those things as fund raisers.

gonzo
10-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Ohmigawd!!!

Gonzo?! Are you alright?

Speak to me, boy!!! Call 911!!!

IM fine the only problem is the closest one here is about an hour away and no magic sugar waterfall.

RawAlex
10-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Everytime I see the sugar waterfall I have a mental image of Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin upside down under them... I don't know why.

gonzo
10-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Everytime I see the sugar waterfall I have a mental image of Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin upside down under them... I don't know why.
That waterfall is pure magic. Its not the same once it goes thru it.

JFK
10-23-2008, 03:43 AM
That waterfall is pure magic. Its not the same once it goes thru it.

damn, I cant find the pics I took of it at the Excalibur:mad:

TheEnforcer
10-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Send out the fat signal to all the FFN's. I'm sure we alone could save the KK profit margins!!

kath
10-23-2008, 01:07 PM
They need Gonzo in the fur coat and KK hat out there on street corners. lol

I agree though, they grew too fast - just like Starbucks. They've taken quite a hit this year. We realized that there wasn't even a 3 minute span between coffee shops on our main highway through the valley and apparently they did too because they closed down quite a few. Seems like they are doing better now that they've cut out those superfluous shops.

WebBilling.com
10-23-2008, 01:28 PM
IM fine the only problem is the closest one here is about an hour away and no magic sugar waterfall.

Is there a Dunkin' Donuts any closer just in case you can't make it that far?
:wnw:

ali25extreme
10-23-2008, 03:06 PM
i am not at a loss if any of these companies go belly up but I am worried about all the job losses that will take place because of it. Something has to give pretty soon or one can only fear for the worse. I want a donut now..damn it. I remember when the fresh donuts would come out at Krispy and my friends and I would walk down and load up. They are like butter baby..okay I might be a little distressed if they do go down but I will just have to go to Publix for my sugar fix now..not a big fan but better than nothing.

andreajmata
10-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Am I the only person ever, that doesn't like Krispy Kreme?

softball
10-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Nah, I hate em too. They failed in Canada. I lived in Toronto which is an old indian word for land of a thousand doughnut shops. That town knows doughnuts and they just were outclassed.

Hell Puppy
10-24-2008, 12:45 AM

You'll come around.

It all starts with deep fried candy on your desserts....

gonzo
10-24-2008, 12:47 AM
You'll come around.

It all starts with deep fried candy on your desserts....
Like fried cheesecaske

softball
10-24-2008, 01:12 AM
The deep fried Mars bar was invented where I come from, just down the street from my uncle. A great contribution to culinary art. If you haven't tried one, you haven't lived.

gonzo
10-24-2008, 08:26 AM
The deep fried Mars bar was invented where I come from, just down the street from my uncle. A great contribution to culinary art. If you haven't tried one, you haven't lived.
Your not down with a Luther Burger?

andreajmata
10-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Like fried cheesecaske

*drools* :wnw:

okay, thats just not fair

Robert
10-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Nah, you're not alone. The few times I've had them they tasted like deep fried Crisco.

ali25extreme
10-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Nah, you're not alone. The few times I've had them they tasted like deep fried Crisco.
I like them sometimes but i do not go out of my way to get them like some people do. In Georgia there is a line for fresh ones every morning. They are best fresh.

Robert
10-24-2008, 12:09 PM
They are best fresh.

That's what I've been told. To be fair I guess, the few I have had weren't exactly straight off the line :whistling

Hell Puppy
10-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Straight off the line they are almost like cotton candy. Put 'em in your mouth and they just disappear leaving behind nothing but sweetness...

A hot Krispy kreme and one out of a box are two very different experiences.

If I'm having cold ones, I prefer the cream filled ones instead of just plain.

DOS Tip: Plain ones warm up very well in microwave.