PDA

View Full Version : I love San Francisco....

softball
10-22-2008, 02:07 AM
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- In this live-and-let-live town, where medical marijuana clubs do business next to grocery stores and an annual fair celebrates sadomasochism, prostitutes could soon walk the streets without fear of arrest.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/US/10/21/san.francisco.prostitution.ap/art.prostitution.ap.jpgA sex worker who goes by the name of Violet stands at a San Francisco, California, bus stop.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_BL.gif

San Francisco would become the first major U.S. city to decriminalize prostitution if voters next month approve Proposition K, a measure that forbids local authorities from investigating, arresting or prosecuting anyone for selling sex.
The ballot question technically would not legalize prostitution, since state law still prohibits it, but the measure would eliminate the power of local law enforcement officials to go after prostitutes.
Proponents say the measure will free up $11 million the police spend each year arresting prostitutes and allow them to form collectives.
"It will allow workers to organize for our rights and for our safety," said Patricia West, 22, who said she has been selling sex for about a year by placing ads on the Internet. She moved to San Francisco in May from Texas to work on Proposition K.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/21/san.francisco.prostitution.ap/index.html

DannyCox
10-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I can't see this going through. The only way you can "legalize" it (just an easier term to use) is to put in proper controls over where and how prostitution is operated. By just limiting the police, you are opening one hell of a can of worms. Every West Coast Pimp will have their women all over the place.

Evil Chris
10-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Who has the veto rights?
I doubt it will pass.

Toby
10-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Remember, this is SF we're talking about. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it passes.

TheEnforcer
10-22-2008, 11:29 AM
As it is San Francisco it has a decent shot of passing. Unfortunately i am sure it doesn't have the necessary safeguards a STATE like Nevada does. It also does not say that john's won't be arrested and the police can still arrest them.

RawAlex
10-22-2008, 12:57 PM
The problem?

"It will allow workers to organize for our rights and for our safety," said Patricia West, 22, who said she has been selling sex for about a year by placing ads on the Internet. She moved to San Francisco in May from Texas to work on Proposition K.

Legalize prostitution (without licensing or other requirements) and you will have a land rush of rent-a-pussy from all over the US heading to San Fran to work, thinking they are in the clear. Not to forget all the pimps and other characters that will come along for the ride on the gravy train.

Plus, isn't solicitation / prostitution at least a state if not federal crime? Seems to me it's like a state saying "weed is legal", it carries no weight because it wasn't their law to start with.

softball
10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Should knock the prices down considerably. Not sure if the girls thought this one through.

Toby
10-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Seems to me it's like a state saying "weed is legal", it carries no weight because it wasn't their law to start with.

Smoking weed is already more or less legal in SF. Same kind of thing, police don't enforce personal use.

I agree, that this will likely lead to a number of unaddressed consequences, but that's kind of how they roll in SF.

You have to have spent some extended time there to understand the mindset. It can't be explained, it has to be experienced.

Dravyk
10-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Temperate weather, beautiful city, and now this?!

.... I may have to move! :okthumb:

Hell Puppy
10-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Temperate weather, beautiful city, and now this?!

.... I may have to move! :okthumb:

Like the city, but that pesky earthquake problem bothers me.

Well, that and the fact that it would cost me about 5 times as much to live there as it does here.

softball
10-23-2008, 01:16 AM
Like the city, but that pesky earthquake problem bothers me.

Well, that and the fact that it would cost me about 5 times as much to live there as it does here.
It costs me about that to live in Vancouver, but what the fuck. Its the west coast. You pay a premium. But the one thing I have learned in life, is that there is always a reason that people pay. The difference between an Aston Martin and a Lexus is marginal, but the price difference is huge. No one ever pays for something that doesn't have value. Obvious exceptions and morons excluded. Sorry Nick.

Dravyk
10-26-2008, 03:29 AM
it would cost me about 5 times as much to live there as it does here. Yep, there and San Diego. Both beautiful. Both expensive as all hell, unfortunately.

Hell Puppy
10-26-2008, 06:13 AM
Yep, there and San Diego. Both beautiful. Both expensive as all hell, unfortunately.

Nice climate in San Diego for sure. But cant really compare it to San Francisco.

I made a remark during Cybernet Expo about San Fran that I really stand by, the more and more I think about it the truer it is. San Francisco is like New York except without the smell of urine.

You get all of the food and different cultures and neighborhoods. You can walk 10 blocks and experience 2-3 very different types of people. But San Fran is a lot more friendly than New York, better climate and one of the most technology friendly towns in the world.

Downside is it is so liberal that it's almost like a giant commune.

Dravyk
10-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Downside is it is so liberal that it's almost like a giant commune. Summertime will be a love-in there
In the streets of San Francisco
Gentle people with flowers in their hair

Toby
10-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Summertime will be a love-in there
In the streets of San Francisco
Gentle people with flowers in their hair

All those people moved to Marin. ;)

Hell Puppy
10-27-2008, 10:43 PM
All those people moved to Marin. ;)

There was a really sweet one washing his asshole around the corner from the hotel at Cybernet.

gonzo
10-28-2008, 08:25 AM
There was a really sweet one washing his asshole around the corner from the hotel at Cybernet.
The only city where bums can set up panhandling right under the ATM.

Hell Puppy
10-29-2008, 01:23 AM
The only city where bums can set up panhandling right under the ATM.

I still swear it was an accident when I kicked him the ribs...

softball
10-29-2008, 01:28 AM
But San Fran is a lot more friendly than New York,

I gotta disagree. Big east coast towns are way friendlier than any city in the west. NYC is one of the most gregarious places I have ever been, and I have been there a lot.

gonzo
10-29-2008, 08:35 AM
I still swear it was an accident when I kicked him the ribs...
I think you scared Darci for life.

Hell Puppy
10-29-2008, 10:31 PM
I think you scared Darci for life.

I think it was the bloody loogy he spat up that scared her.

DannyCox
10-30-2008, 02:33 AM
Actually, I really enjoy places like mid-town Manhattan. Everyone is really quite friendly. Carol and I go to NYC a couple of times a year, and mainly for the people.

Honestly, the snobbier ones do seem to be on the West Coast. Seattle is one of the worst, with the "we are so much better than everyone" attitude. I tend to like my people to be real.

gonzo
10-30-2008, 08:28 AM
I think it was the bloody loogy he spat up that scared her.
Im sending someone from my crew out there to help her dress properly for Halloween. Those girls need some help from the PROS.

MsNikkiNefarious
11-07-2008, 01:19 PM
SF is one of my favorite places, I love the open culture and the open minds of most folk there. It's hard to find that in a small southern town where I'm from.

gonzo
11-07-2008, 05:08 PM
SF is one of my favorite places, I love the open culture and the open minds of most folk there. It's hard to find that in a small southern town where I'm from.
I know where theres a place where you live that its Haloween every day!

sexandcash
12-10-2008, 06:32 AM
san francisco is always at the forefront....
and such a great city, great food, great people, weather and culture

LOVE IT