PDA

View Full Version : Picked up scumware.. help!!

TheEnforcer
10-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Somehow I picked up scumware yesterday and now I see and hear this congrtaulation banner as awelll as a you won a Wal Mart gift card banner and occassionally have windows pop in the background with sites related to a search or a page I am visiting. I've tried. Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad Aware, CCleaner and Avast anit virus and nothing works to get rid of the crap.

Any ideas??

TheEnforcer
10-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Fuck, now that stupid congratulations banner is overriding my Board Broker banner in my sig again. This is REALLY pissing me off.

TheEnforcer
10-18-2008, 11:38 AM
GRR.. now it's the banners up top.. this REALLY pisses me off.

gonzo
10-18-2008, 12:22 PM
I scanned and upgraded my version of IE to fix mine

helix
10-18-2008, 12:36 PM
1.) shut off system restore
2.) boot onto safe mode
3.) rescan your system
4.) when it's clean, turn system restore back on

Hell Puppy
10-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Somehow I picked up scumware yesterday and now I see and hear this congrtaulation banner as awelll as a you won a Wal Mart gift card banner and occassionally have windows pop in the background with sites related to a search or a page I am visiting. I've tried. Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad Aware, CCleaner and Avast anit virus and nothing works to get rid of the crap.

Any ideas??

Have a system restore point you can go back to? Should be on automatically in XP and later.

Dravyk
10-19-2008, 07:25 PM
I had two nastys this year. One was a MS patch (a legit one) that screwed me. The other one, a Trojan with a trojan within a Trojan, actually deleted restore points. I found out many of the newer ones are that sophisticated now and MS hasn't figured a way to stop them. So it may not even be doable. (Hope it is though, Enforcer.)

Hell Puppy
10-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I scanned and upgraded my version of IE to fix mine

Upgraded IE to prevent scumware? :bustingup

Use Firefox or Chrome, if you use IE you deserve whatever you catch.

Dravyk
10-20-2008, 03:19 AM
Upgraded IE to prevent scumware? :bustingup I missed that the first time, HP. Good catch. That really IS hysterical! :bustingup

TheEnforcer
10-20-2008, 11:54 AM
I think I've got the problem under control. Man what a pain.

Hell Puppy
10-20-2008, 10:32 PM
I think I've got the problem under control. Man what a pain.

Gotta stay off the twink sites.

TheEnforcer
10-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Gotta stay off the twink sites.

LOL

Actually, I think mainstream sites are more dangerous these days than adult sites as I am almost certain I got thi from a mainstream site.

Hell Puppy
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
LOL

Actually, I think mainstream sites are more dangerous these days than adult sites as I am almost certain I got thi from a mainstream site.

Not so much the sites as the ad networks. Most of the site owners arent inclined or clever enough to really do a good quality scam.

However, the ad networks are getting a little desperate. They'll push the edge a bit more to keep revenue up while advertising budgets are getting slashed. Google will be fine. Everyone else is fighting for scraps though. So things like Iframes with lots of nastiness are making a come back. It's only a matter of time before some dumbass calls their hosting company and accuses them of hacking their servers.

gonzo
10-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Everyone else is fighting for scraps though. So things like Iframes with lots of nastiness are making a come back. It's only a matter of time before some dumbass calls their hosting company and accuses them of hacking their servers.
Ive only seen one fucknut ever do that but I think everyone knows hes full of shit. After seeing him my size and bragging how he was leaving to climb Mt Killamanjaro - I doubt he could scale Blood Mountain let alone Killamajaro.

TheEnforcer
10-22-2008, 11:32 AM
LOL

Yeah.. ad networks are pretty nasty these days. Pain in the ass.

promowest
10-22-2008, 07:36 PM
What do these guys that do this get out of it?

Hell Puppy
10-22-2008, 10:14 PM
What do these guys that do this get out of it?

Money.