PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress Gurus in here!

DannyCox
10-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Okay guys, have a question. We're using Wordpress for a Blog as part of Carol's website. I am redoing the free area of her main page, and I want to put the titles of the latest Blog postings on the main index page on her site, without having to manually do it. Is there a Plug-in that will handle that?? I've been looking, but the lay-out of the Wordpress plug-ins makes it a real pain to find anything.

Thanks for any help.

RawAlex
10-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Danny, a simple trick is just do something in php to open and query the database directly, and pull the titles (and posts if you want). It's a pretty effective way to do things.

DannyCox
10-06-2008, 05:03 PM
I was just hoping someone had a simple hack before I tried anything ;)

helix
10-06-2008, 06:36 PM
maybe this? http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/recent-posts/

Hell Puppy
10-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Simpler than that, tons of RSS PHP code out there.

Use Wordpress' RSS feed and put it in cell somewhere on her free pages.

DannyCox
10-07-2008, 02:39 AM
Okay, I just wrote a quick PHP script to grab the post headers and links from the RSS, write them to a page, and then I grab that in an iFrame. Not elegant, but it works.

Dravyk
10-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Yep RSS is the best easiest way. Do you need the IFrame? Just an "include" should do it, I'd have thought. Guess it depends if the original page is PHP or not. If not, the way you came up with is probably the best, Danny.

DannyCox
10-07-2008, 11:10 PM
The page is a basic html. I didn't want to use a shtml extension, so I didn't do an include. But it's working fine.

Hell Puppy
10-07-2008, 11:18 PM
The page is a basic html. I didn't want to use a shtml extension, so I didn't do an include. But it's working fine.

A little .htaccess file magic can make it parse that html file as php.