PDA

View Full Version : Now that is thinking outide the box....

TheEnforcer
10-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Click link for full article.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1008/The_Obama_channel.html

October 01, 2008
Categories: Barack Obama

The Obama channel

Channel 73 on the Dish Network is now The Obama Channel.

Obama's media buying strategy has been marked by a willingness to work the angles and to try to pick up a few votes at the margins. The decision to go to everything from extensive radio buys to odd-hour infomercials reflects the fact that the campaign media buyers spend a lot of time thinking about how much persuasion any given dollar can buy, and given a very cheap format — late night cable channels that need filler, for instance — will settle for a thimblefull of persuasion.

The satellite channel is the latest of these marginal gambits: Three readers from different parts of the country email that Channel 073-00 on the Dish Network is now labeled OBAMA. ("What is up with Sen. Obama having his own channel?" asks a St. Louis reader.) The channel plays his two-minute ad laying out his economic plan on a loop, over and over.

The only explanation: The media buyers think they can reach enough people per dollar to make it worth the odd buy.

gonzo
10-02-2008, 01:43 PM
The only explanation: The media buyers think they can reach enough people per dollar to make it worth the odd buy.
Hed reach more people here than there at a fraction of the price!:yowsa:

TheEnforcer
10-02-2008, 01:50 PM
LOL

I'd be happy to sell to him. McCain too for that matter.

Dravyk
10-03-2008, 02:31 AM
I'll have to go get a TIVO now. Not.

RawAlex
10-03-2008, 12:16 PM
This is a great way to reach people, especially those channel surfing couch potatoes at 3am bored of regular informercials and re-runs of MASH. I am sure on a price / performance level this is a really good deal.

TheEnforcer
10-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah.. infomercial ads really aren't that badly priced so I imagine the step up for a small station like that is something obama can easily afford.

Top_Of_Google_Man
10-05-2008, 01:20 PM
will be able to sell at a good profit down the line of course.

RawAlex
10-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah.. infomercial ads really aren't that badly priced so I imagine the step up for a small station like that is something obama can easily afford.

Actually, it is an entirely new channel, they are literally buying space from Dish. It's a really interesting way to reach people. How long before we have a GGW channel?