PDA

View Full Version : Court affirms online content law unconstitutional

Gerco
07-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Associated Press - July 22, 2008 7:33 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal appeals court says it agrees that the Child Online Protection Act is overly broad and vague.

The decision by the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia also found the law violates the First Amendment. That's because online filtering and other parental control tools offer a less restrictive way to protect children from inappropriate content.

Today's decision affirms a lower court ruling that struck down the 1998 law meant to bar Web sites from making harmful content available to minors over the Internet. The law has not yet taken effect. It's the latest twist in a decade-long legal battle that has already reached the Supreme Court and could be headed back there.

An ACLU attorney argues that Congress has been trying to restrict speech on the Internet far more than it can restrict speech in books and magazines. But, he said, "the rules should be the same."
http://www.kmph.com/Global/story.asp?S=8718381&nav=menu612_2

gonzo
07-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Looks like Copa is officially dead

EmporerEJ
07-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes, that's odd, I posted this exact same thread/story about 10 threads down.
Must be an echo in here.

(You know, a couple days ago when it actually happened)

RawAlex
07-25-2008, 05:12 PM
internet speed != court speed.

Gerco
07-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Yes, that's odd, I posted this exact same thread/story about 10 threads down.
Must be an echo in here.

(You know, a couple days ago when it actually happened)

You know what else is really odd? I know a EmporerJJ....:blink:

softball
07-28-2008, 09:25 PM
But I bet unlike our Emp, he wears clothes.

EmporerEJ
07-29-2008, 05:38 AM

Check how he spells "Emperor" or "Emporer"
'Cause if it's "Emporer," then he's a copycat.
"Emporer" is intentionally mis-spelled, and I've been using that handle since back in BBS days, cica' 1993 or earlier.

EmporerEJ
07-29-2008, 05:44 AM
But I bet unlike our Emp, he wears clothes.

I do wear clothes...the exact same clothes, everyday.
Black shirt, black pants, (usually jeans, or jeans shorts) black shoes, Black belt, black suspenders, and black socks (with the initial "W" embroidered on them.)

Around here, they think I'm Amish, until they see the tech hanging off my belt, and bulging forth, from my always two pocket shirts.....

I find it easier to have all the same in closet. Only changes are Long/short sleeve/leg, depending on season. Always 100% cotton. (Preferably American Cotton. Socks sometimes have 10% lycra for "grab.")

softball
07-29-2008, 09:03 AM
I do wear clothes...the exact same clothes, everyday.
Black shirt, black pants, (usually jeans, or jeans shorts) black shoes, Black belt, black suspenders, and black socks (with the initial "W" embroidered on them.)

Around here, they think I'm Amish, until they see the tech hanging off my belt, and bulging forth, from my always two pocket shirts.....

I find it easier to have all the same in closet. Only changes are Long/short sleeve/leg, depending on season. Always 100% cotton. (Preferably American Cotton. Socks sometimes have 10% lycra for "grab.")
You need to read more....

An emperor who cares too much about clothes hires two swindlers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swindler) who promise him the finest suit of clothes from the most beautiful cloth. This cloth, they tell him, is invisible to anyone who was either stupid or unfit for his position. The Emperor cannot see the (non-existent) cloth, but pretends that he can for fear of appearing stupid; his ministers do the same. When the swindlers report that the suit is finished, they dress him in mime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mime). The Emperor then goes on a procession through the capital show off his new "clothes". During the course of the procession, a small child cries out, "But he has nothing on!" The crowd realizes the child is telling the truth. The Emperor, however, holds his head high and continues the procession......HC Andersen

Gerco
07-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Check how he spells "Emperor" or "Emporer"
'Cause if it's "Emporer," then he's a copycat.
"Emporer" is intentionally mis-spelled, and I've been using that handle since back in BBS days, cica' 1993 or earlier.

Your correct... He spells it the normal way.

EmporerEJ
07-29-2008, 02:22 PM
You need to read more....

.....HC Andersen

Yes, I'm familiar with the fable.....and your veiled reference to it.
I chose to ignore it and take it as literal.

Life, and business, are not always a fortune cookie, you know?

softball
07-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes, I'm familiar with the fable.....and your veiled reference to it.
I chose to ignore it and take it as literal.

Life, and business, are not always a fortune cookie, you know?
I call bullshit. It wizzed right over you and you googled it. LOLOLOL....

clickyoucutie
07-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Glad to hear that the court ruled it unconstitutional, even with some conservative judges appointed by Bush