PDA

View Full Version : I need someone to explain to me like im 5 yrs old.

tony404
07-23-2008, 07:06 PM
The difference between getting a server with straight gigs and mbps.I had a server with straight gigs never went over 1886 gig for a month. The new company told me they are both exactly the same thing. Been with them for 5 days,im at 6mbps already and this hasnt been a banner month. Please help me undertstand:)

RawAlex
07-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Okay, here is a simple explaination (using very round numbers, okay? nobody hit me for missing by a few bits here and there).

A 10MPS connection can flow about 3200gig a month give or take a bit. If you are running 1886 gig per month, you are using about half of that, give or take, so about 5.5mbps. However, the reality is that your dataflow isn't consistant over the day, going higher and some points, lower at others. So you may have moments when you are using a full 10mbps and other times when you are using only 3 or 4.

Gigs of bandwidth is measuring how much went through the tube. MBPS is measuring how big the tube is. Size of tube X time = possible gigs flowing.

I am sure someone more technical will correct me and make me look silly, but hey... ;)

MikeSouth
07-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Okay, here is a simple explaination (using very round numbers, okay? nobody hit me for missing by a few bits here and there).

A 10MPS connection can flow about 3200gig a month give or take a bit. If you are running 1886 gig per month, you are using about half of that, give or take, so about 5.5mbps. However, the reality is that your dataflow isn't consistant over the day, going higher and some points, lower at others. So you may have moments when you are using a full 10mbps and other times when you are using only 3 or 4.

Gigs of bandwidth is measuring how much went through the tube. MBPS is measuring how big the tube is. Size of tube X time = possible gigs flowing.

I am sure someone more technical will correct me and make me look silly, but hey... ;)

Sounds right to me so 10MBPS meteered is essentially that same as 3TB/month except that your 10MBPS metered is guaranteed to not exceed 3TB/month

whereas my 3TB per month is basically 10 MBPS 24/7 and if I use more then the MBPS rises accordingly

softball
07-23-2008, 09:17 PM
I am a technical moron. I just know how much it costs each month.

tony404
07-23-2008, 10:07 PM
thanks

RawAlex
07-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Sounds right to me so 10MBPS meteered is essentially that same as 3TB/month except that your 10MBPS metered is guaranteed to not exceed 3TB/month

whereas my 3TB per month is basically 10 MBPS 24/7 and if I use more then the MBPS rises accordingly

Actually, in many cases the question is your peak accessibility. Most 3TB programs are on an open 100mbps connection, so that in theory you can go over 10Mbps and still stay under total bandwidth in a month on average.

But if your connection is 10MBPS, a 3TB plan is pretty much the same deal.

DannyCox
07-23-2008, 11:49 PM
And just think...ten years ago (1998), my dedicated T3 (45 Mbps) was costing me $65K a month!

RawAlex
07-24-2008, 12:11 AM
And just think...ten years ago (1998), my dedicated T3 (45 Mbps) was costing me $65K a month!

..and just think, you could afford it! ;)

DannyCox
07-24-2008, 01:06 AM
BTW, that was Canadian dollars, so in 1998 that would have been around $45K USD a month.

You can get the same thing now for about a grand a month!

gonzo
07-24-2008, 08:51 AM
The difference between getting a server with straight gigs and mbps.I had a server with straight gigs never went over 1886 gig for a month. The new company told me they are both exactly the same thing. Been with them for 5 days,im at 6mbps already and this hasnt been a banner month. Please help me undertstand:)

Some fine hosting companies Ive recommended to you in the past.

NationalNet is where Oprano lives
NakedHosting is great if you want you hand held
MojoHost is another SOLID host whit some great tools
and Caronet can handle them all from big to small...[AEBN,Xpeeps, etc... all live in one data center]

I personally know each owner at all 4 places. I know any of them would not only explain to you what your looking at but help you plan to scale your operation.

I cant tell you about any place else.

SinSational
07-24-2008, 12:27 PM
GB is actual transfer
Mbps is rate of transfer
1Mbps = approx. 320GB's

if your server was pushing 10Mbps every second of every minute of every hour of every day for 1 month, then you would use approx. 3200GB's a month.

the reality is that your traffic spikes and falls throughout the day.
the benefit to having a plan based on Mbps is that your server could be doing 8Mbps for an hour, 2Mbps for an hour, 55Mbps for an hour, etc etc, but your billing is based on the average rate of transfer, usually measured in 5 minute intervals. and with 95th percentile billing, your host will remove the top 5 spikes of traffic.

if you are on a 10Mbps metered port, there is no way that you will get the full 3200GB of transfer unless your server is pinned at 10Mbps for the whole month. so it is best to have your server on a 100Mbps port to allow your traffic to spike when needed. as already mentioned, your server could do over 10Mbps for portions of every day and you could still fall under the 10Mbps average for the month.

SinSational
07-24-2008, 12:36 PM
But if your connection is 10MBPS, a 3TB plan is pretty much the same deal.

not necessarily true unless your server is pinned at 10Mbps for the whole month. if you want to get 3000GB out of your server then you would need to be on a 100Mbps port. if you are on a 10Mbps bandwidth plan and your server is on a 100Mbps port, it is possible to get more than 3200GB's of transfer taking in to consideration that Mbps plans take the average rate of transfer.

TheEnforcer
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
I hate tech stuff. My brain freezez even thinking about it...

RawAlex
07-25-2008, 05:10 PM
not necessarily true unless your server is pinned at 10Mbps for the whole month. if you want to get 3000GB out of your server then you would need to be on a 100Mbps port. if you are on a 10Mbps bandwidth plan and your server is on a 100Mbps port, it is possible to get more than 3200GB's of transfer taking in to consideration that Mbps plans take the average rate of transfer.

That is why I say - the reality is if the 10MBPS plan and the 3200GB plan are the same price on a 10MBPS connection, you are effectively getting the same thing. You are limited by the connection, not by the plan.

If you have a 100MBPS connection, then yes, you could get more from the 3200GB plan. But that would depend on your host having enough bandwidth to actually give you the chance to do it.

DannyCox
07-26-2008, 02:59 AM
I hate tech stuff. My brain freezez even thinking about it...

That's why I have always had Tech Geeks on the payroll! I'm old, they're young, they understand all that stuff!

wingchun22
11-09-2008, 03:32 PM
thats a good one