PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Forum

bluemoney
06-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Anything a “humble affiliate” like myself can get out of this? While I’m going for the sake of enjoyment (like a mini-vacation), is their anything I should focus on in particular?

I’m looking for some good sagely advice if anyone has any to offer.

tony404
06-26-2008, 10:10 AM
If you got the money and it wont hurt to spend it. Why not it's an experience. The whole you will do a shitload of business I question but its an experience. I have a friend doesn't do the shows or the boards his main affiliate is click cash and he makes 250k. The key is he works very very hard.

iamkathi
06-26-2008, 10:51 AM
After 11 years in this industry and going to trade shows, webmaster forums and gatherings, I am certainly no expert.

But, this is how I have decided a show/gathering is worth my ( am my employers) time and money.

#1- Is this a show where I will do business? ROI... The buzz word of many a marketing meeting.
#2- Is this a show where some one I REALLY want to do business with will be attending?
#3-Can I afford the time to be out of the office and away from work or home for the the 3, 4 or 5 days of the show?

and finally #4 Can I afford NOT to go?

Like you,( in the beginning) I looked on some of the events as a "mini-vacation" sponsored by my employers. A chance to catch up with friends in the industry or visit a location I had never been to. Now, I look at each event/show as an opportunity to meet someone I have never met or get to know someone I only knew casually, better.

So as a "humble affiliate" what my first step would be is to contact the program owners you are working with and see if they will be attending. Make appointments to at least sit and chat. Nothing huge or time consuming. You will be surprised how many program owners want the feed back from affiliates. Next, is there a program you have heard about but were not sure about? Take the time to see if they are going to attend.

Finally, Have a great time and keep an open mind.

oh... and take more business cards than you ever think you'll need.

Just my ideas. There are lots of people here with more experience than I have!

Others? What are your thoughts?

P.S. If there is someone at the show you want to meet... let me know. I am great at introducing people.

Jace
06-26-2008, 10:52 AM
i can tell you right now, what SweetT has planned for the seminars is nothing like I have ever seen, totally original concept if they are still going on with the original plans

it will make avn and xbiz think twice about another tgp, legal or traffic seminar, that is for sure

gonzo
06-26-2008, 10:57 AM
P.S. If there is someone at the show you want to meet... let me know. I am great at introducing people.

That is an understatement for sure!

Oprano bonus contribution.
I think Darci Wood is flying in to hang out with us all at another show.
We corrupted her in San Fransisco and shes bringing one of her girlfriends to come hang out with us all.

Shes our geek correspondant and blogs about all things hardware.
So if your nice to her [she drinks Starfuckers] and have questions about that new camera,phone or printer...she can give you some advice on her pesonal shoot out for new gear.

She used to do all the comparisons on stuff for the defunct Tech TV.
And some of you might remember her from the old "confucy" conflict.

Toby
06-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Since I qualify as a "humble affiliate webmaster" I'll add my 2¢.

As Kathi noted, you need to do some networking in advance. Find out if the sponsors you want to talk to will have reps there, and how to get in contact with them once you arrive.

Most of my top sponsors are independent amateurs that rarely go to shows these days, so my list of sponsors to talk with is usually pretty short. I focus more on making contacts with specific people. Getting to meet with those you've previously only met online tends to reinforce the trust factor and often leads to doing far more business with them in the future.

The other way to meet people is to find the place where everyone tends to 'hang' (usually somewhere that alcohol is served) and just join in and see who drops by.
*This one is a FFN favorite. :)

Lastly, don't even try to evaluate your ROI for at least 3 to 6 months after the show. Let the seeds you planted have some time to germinate.

...it will make avn and xbiz think twice about another tgp, legal or traffic seminar, that is for sureNo more legal or traffic seminars? How will those panel speakers pitch their services? LOL

I think Darci Wood is flying in to hang out with us all at another show...Darci is a character, enjoyed meeting her in SF. Looking forward to Atlanta, should be a good time.

bluemoney
06-26-2008, 07:21 PM
After 11 years in this industry and going to trade shows, webmaster forums and gatherings, I am certainly no expert.

But, this is how I have decided a show/gathering is worth my ( am my employers) time and money.

#1- Is this a show where I will do business? ROI... The buzz word of many a marketing meeting.
#2- Is this a show where some one I REALLY want to do business with will be attending?
#3-Can I afford the time to be out of the office and away from work or home for the the 3, 4 or 5 days of the show?

and finally #4 Can I afford NOT to go?

Like you,( in the beginning) I looked on some of the events as a "mini-vacation" sponsored by my employers. A chance to catch up with friends in the industry or visit a location I had never been to. Now, I look at each event/show as an opportunity to meet someone I have never met or get to know someone I only knew casually, better.

So as a "humble affiliate" what my first step would be is to contact the program owners you are working with and see if they will be attending. Make appointments to at least sit and chat. Nothing huge or time consuming. You will be surprised how many program owners want the feed back from affiliates. Next, is there a program you have heard about but were not sure about? Take the time to see if they are going to attend.

Finally, Have a great time and keep an open mind.

oh... and take more business cards than you ever think you'll need.

Just my ideas. There are lots of people here with more experience than I have!

Others? What are your thoughts?

Fantastic stuff here, just what I was looking for! Can't wait to see you again, the "Blue Willow" seems like such a long time ago.

Since I qualify as a "humble affiliate webmaster" I'll add my 2¢.

As Kathi noted, you need to do some networking in advance. Find out if the sponsors you want to talk to will have reps there, and how to get in contact with them once you arrive.

Most of my top sponsors are independent amateurs that rarely go to shows these days, so my list of sponsors to talk with is usually pretty short. I focus more on making contacts with specific people. Getting to meet with those you've previously only met online tends to reinforce the trust factor and often leads to doing far more business with them in the future.

The other way to meet people is to find the place where everyone tends to 'hang' (usually somewhere that alcohol is served) and just join in and see who drops by.
*This one is a FFN favorite.

Lastly, don't even try to evaluate your ROI for at least 3 to 6 months after the show. Let the seeds you planted have some time to germinate.

No more legal or traffic seminars? How will those panel speakers pitch their services? LOL

Darci is a character, enjoyed meeting her in SF. Looking forward to Atlanta, should be a good time.

Thanks Toby!

Thanks also to Tony 404, Jace and Gonzo for stepping in.

RawAlex
06-26-2008, 07:50 PM
I do have to say this, as a long time (and full time) humble affiliate.

Unless you are an affiliate packing some serious traffic / sales power, you aren't going to get as much out of these shows as others might. Too many people meet you, check your stats, and have one of a few standard sets of procedures to follow:

1) If you are a BIG traffic playah, introduce you to the boss, invite you for drinks / dinner / strippers / VIP area at party

2) If you are a medium traffic playah, talk to about ways to make a little more money, see if you have other programs getting traffic from your sites and see if they can't mooch it over to thier program instead.

3) Small traffic playahs get the exchange of business cards, the free t-shirt, and a "see you at the party tonight".

I have a good collection of T-shirts and business cards.

Hell Puppy
06-27-2008, 01:55 AM
All of these are good.....kathi's is even great.

I'm a simple man though, mine is much less complex...

You go to meet people. Period.

You might meet people who you can gleam a few tidbits from, many will say a lot more in person than they would dare post on a board. You might meet someone who has already solved a problem you're working on. You might meet someone whose problem you can solve. You might strike up a relationship that puts some money in your pocket or saves you some money at some point in the future.

Or you might just hang out with folks who all share an interest in looking at nekkid pics and get shit faced.

bluemoney
06-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Or you might just hang out with folks who all share an interest in looking at nekkid pics and get shit faced.
Hey! Something I’m highly qualified for!

Thanks HP & RawAlex on your thoughts.

tony404
06-27-2008, 02:00 PM

Maybe since Im going to be one of the few sober, maybe I should offer a get you to your room safe service for like $10 a head. lol

gonzo
06-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Maybe since Im going to be one of the few sober, maybe I should offer a get you to your room safe service for like $10 a head. lol
$10 head is cheap!

Will you do Juicy for a discount?

Hell Puppy
06-28-2008, 12:05 AM

I've never had trouble making it back to the room, but I'll give you $20 if there's a chick with more back hair than me in tow if you can route her to gonzo's room instead.

Nymph
06-28-2008, 07:34 AM
I've never had trouble making it back to the room, but I'll give you $20 if there's a chick with more back hair than me in tow if you can route her to gonzo's room instead.

ewww, that's nasty...but I'll chip in another $20 for a pic of his face when her top comes off :whistling

gonzo
06-28-2008, 12:58 PM
ewww, that's nasty...but I'll chip in another $20 for a pic of his face when her top comes off :whistling
I have hired local female security to insure this doesnt have.
Dont make me bring a 6'2" blonde amazon!

Nymph
06-28-2008, 01:47 PM
I have hired local female security to insure this doesnt have.

Oh come on, let those of us that are left at home have a little fun :rolleyes:

Toby
06-28-2008, 02:07 PM

Leather or Lace? :yowsa:

gonzo
06-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Leather or Lace? :yowsa:
I think she wears both but the 2 words are Crazy and Devil.

Toby
06-28-2008, 05:40 PM
I think she wears both but the 2 words are Crazy and Devil....and 6' 2" too? :blink:

gonzo
06-29-2008, 01:20 PM
...and 6' 2" too? :blink:
And blonde.