PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta GA- what's there to see there?

TheEnforcer
06-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Ok.. so what's the appeal of Atlanta GA? If I go to a show I generally want to take a few days after or before the show to enjoy myself so what's there to do in Atlanta if stayign there for a few days after or before a show? I knwo what there is in Hollywood, so what's Atlanta's appeal?

bluemoney
06-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Clermont Lounge
789 Ponce De Leon Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30306-4396

The Scene
Located in the dingy basement of the Clermont Hotel, the Clermont Lounge defies simple classification. Part dive bar, part strip club, the Clermont is where in- and out-of-towners go more for the mystique than the show. Everything about the place and people is like weathered velvet: soft, semi-inviting but threadbare. Just shy of 40--a trait shared with several strippers--the Clermont is, like aged spirits, appreciated by some but likely to make uninitiated eyes water.

The Draw
The Clermont's underground fame has gone mainstream with a feature on Comedy Central's "Insomniac with Dave Attell" and verbal praises from such stars as Kid Rock, Marilyn Manson and even Canada's "Kids in the Hall." Saturday is the only night to feature a cover--and heated crowd--as yuppies and college kids flood the Clermont to get "cultured" dancing to disco funk. What draws most is to find out whether rumors are true.

The above credited to atlanta.citysearch.com

sarettah
06-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Atlanta was completely covered a few months ago in this thread:

http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=86128

gonzo
06-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Clermont Lounge
789 Ponce De Leon Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30306-4396

The Scene
Located in the dingy basement of the Clermont Hotel, the Clermont Lounge defies simple classification. Part dive bar, part strip club, the Clermont is where in- and out-of-towners go more for the mystique than the show. Everything about the place and people is like weathered velvet: soft, semi-inviting but threadbare. Just shy of 40--a trait shared with several strippers--the Clermont is, like aged spirits, appreciated by some but likely to make uninitiated eyes water.

The Draw
The Clermont's underground fame has gone mainstream with a feature on Comedy Central's "Insomniac with Dave Attell" and verbal praises from such stars as Kid Rock, Marilyn Manson and even Canada's "Kids in the Hall." Saturday is the only night to feature a cover--and heated crowd--as yuppies and college kids flood the Clermont to get "cultured" dancing to disco funk. What draws most is to find out whether rumors are true.

The above credited to atlanta.citysearch.com
You taking him?

Hammer
06-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Bluemoney, the best thing you could come up with was a night club?

The truth is that Atlanta is a nice city but there really isn't much to do there that you can't do in any decent sized city. Now, if you're the outdoors type there's plenty to do not far to the north in some very beautiful country but if you already live in a state with mountains that won't be much of a draw.

Mabye Gonzo can tell you the best place to get good calamari.

gonzo
06-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Maggianos

TheEnforcer
06-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Atlanta was completely covered a few months ago in this thread:

http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=86128

Ahahahahahahaha...

TheEnforcer
06-23-2008, 02:26 PM

The truth is that Atlanta is a nice city but there really isn't much to do there that you can't do in any decent sized city. Now, if you're the outdoors type there's plenty to do not far to the north in some very beautiful country but if you already live in a state with mountains that won't be much of a draw.

Yeah.. nothing that is distictive to the city that makes it a place to visit like San Francisco, New York, etc..

Rcourt64
06-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm sure you'll find Georgia very business oriented towards you form of Solialist Advertising

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_imagearticle961.jpg

tony404
06-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Maggianos

I think not.

TheEnforcer
06-23-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm sure you'll find Georgia very business oriented towards you form of Solialist Advertising

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_imagearticle961.jpg

And I think you still don't have a clue what you're talking about. :scratchin

gonzo
06-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Ask him for a gift card.

bluemoney
06-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Oh lightin Up Thor . . . . At least I tried :idontknow

Hell Puppy
06-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Well, in this area, you can choose between touring Atlanta or touring Georgia. They are two very different places. 50 miles in any direction can send you back at least 40 years in time....well, maybe closer to 75 miles depending on which way you go (damn walmart).

To the north you have mountains, lots of history. To the southeast you have Savannah, St. Simons and the coast.

Touristy highlights:

CNN Studio Tour

Georgia Aquarium -- it is one of the best in the world, whale sharks!!!

World of Coca Cola -- being home town to Coca Cola, you'll get a bit more history and such here than you do in their places in Vegas, etc

Stone Mountain -- big hunk of granite, but lots to do around it

Civil War History -- lots of attractions if you're a history buff, Cyclorama is downtown, but some of the best stuff is around Kennesaw Mountain including The General from the great locomotive chase.

Food -- lots of great places to eat, if you're in the south, you have to have one classic southern meal, I recommend the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle. I'm sure a group outing could easily be arranged again. It's an old southern plantation mansion converted into a restaurant...it's out in the outskirts of "Georgia".

Strip Clubs -- they're totally nude and lots of southern hotties

Amicalola Falls -- Highest falls east of the mississippi, up in the mountains, an hour or so north of town. Gorgeous scenery abounds in the mountains.

Turner Field -- if coming in September that's a gorgeous time of year to see the Braves and Turner Field.

And as others have said, there's the usual assortment of shopping, amusement parks, museums, a great zoo and all of the things you'll find in any major city.

Give us an idea of what you're really into, and we can likely point you at it.

Rcourt64
06-23-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't get paid to have clues, or gift cards for that matter. :)

Jace
06-23-2008, 09:30 PM
the center for puppetry arts is pretty fucking cool

Toby
06-23-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't get paid to have clues, or gift cards for that matter. :)
You don't get paid for opinions either, but you don't seem to have an issue posting yours. :waving:

Jace
06-23-2008, 09:47 PM
if you wanna have some real fun, hit up Little Five Points and sit at the Brewhouse and people watch

http://images.43things.com/place/131909pw400.jpg

Jace
06-23-2008, 09:48 PM
we also have Pandas at the zoo

http://www.zooatlanta.org/animals_panda_cam.php4

http://johnfenzel.typepad.com/john_fenzels_blog/images/pandas.jpg

Rcourt64
06-23-2008, 10:03 PM
You don't get paid for opinions either, but you don't seem to have an issue posting yours. :waving:
Ya i know, :idontknow who cares man?

I got a glass set for sale that im still draggin around since my moms died.
the set is incomplete and one of them has a crack. I don't know where they originated from, but I know they are 14K gold rimmed tall thin wine, and Martini wide serving cups, and single wine shooters. All in clear glass settings.
I can post some pics if your interested in looking to purchase. :)

would u be interested?

Toby
06-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I got a glass set for sale that im still draggin around since my moms died.
the set is incomplete and one of them has a crack. I don't know where they originated from, but I know they are 14K gold rimmed tall thin wine, and Martini wide serving cups, and single wine shooters. All in clear glass settings.
I can post some pics if your interested in looking to purchase. :)

would u be interested?

Not really my taste in glassware, but if you want to post some pics in a new topic or via PM, I may be able to tell you a little more about them.

Rcourt64
06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Not really my taste in glassware, but if you want to post some pics in a new topic or via PM, I may be able to tell you a little more about them.

Ya ok I'll get them up tomorrow,
and since your offering a freebie here. I'd like to show a second smaller set also. :whistling

TheEnforcer
06-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Ok.. some cool tuff from HP and others. Going to Turner Field would be cool.

Jace
06-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Ok.. some cool tuff from HP and others. Going to Turner Field would be cool.
it really isn't as cool as it sounds, haha

don't forget to hit The Vortex for one of the best burgers in Atlanta

on a side note, you will be hard pressed to find a bad meal here (don't listen to the picky fat fucks), atlanta has been rated in the top 5 food in the nation for like 4 years running now

along with that, if you are into arts, we have an amazing arts scene

and if you are lucky, you might be in town for a Atlanta Rollergirls (http://www.atlantarollergirls.com/) tournament

if you are into stuff like that, and want to hit some "different" types of things you don't see in a lot of places, let me know, it is what I personally always try and do, fuck the norm!

Jace
06-24-2008, 12:07 AM
OH SHIT

the rollergirls have a match on sept 20th, the saturday of the show!

Saturday, September 20
Champ Bout @ Shriner's in Midtown - Tickets available TBD
Can't make it to the bout? Head over to the afterparty held at P'cheen (http://www.pcheen.com/) [map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=&hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&cd=1&msa=0&msid=112927921431305641506.00044e635a81095e9c2d9&ll=33.765324,-84.363778&spn=0.008437,0.020835&z=16)]

Toby
06-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Reserve hotel room - check
Register for show - check
Buy airline tickets - check

Nothing left to do but eat, drink and be merry. :)

RawAlex
06-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Holy crap... $245 a night for the bottom end rooms (shower only?). Apparently one of the things to see in Atlanta is your banker!

ali25extreme
06-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Dont forget underground ATL and buckhead has some great spots to visit!..The parks in Atl are nice as well

tony404
06-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Holy crap... $245 a night for the bottom end rooms (shower only?). Apparently one of the things to see in Atlanta is your banker!

i found a room .7 miles away with hot tub for $89 a night

Toby
06-24-2008, 08:52 PM
i found a room... with hot tub...

OK, so noted.

Hey ya'll, the after the after hours party will be at Tony's. ;)

bluemoney
06-24-2008, 10:05 PM
In keeping with my "Tag Team Partner"

Reserve hotel room - check
Register for show - check
Gas for the "Sexy Red Mini Van" - check

Hell Puppy
06-24-2008, 11:57 PM

It's the "W", what would you expect?

$245 a night is cheap, I typically expect at least $300 a night in a major city to stay in a W.

RawAlex
06-25-2008, 12:31 AM

$245 a night is cheap, I typically expect at least $300 a night in a major city to stay in a W.

It's just another expense of doing buisness... but if you did all of the shows in a year you could dump an easy 20-30k a year on hotels and flights.

Hell Puppy
06-25-2008, 02:51 AM
It's just another expense of doing buisness... but if you did all of the shows in a year you could dump an easy 20-30k a year on hotels and flights.

More than that, even flying coach with airline prices what they are now. Easily double last year. Anything over 3 hours is typically $600 or so right now. Friend of mine just went to Africa, $2500 coach. Same flight last year was $800. First class was $10K per seat this time.

Miles and hotel points start kicking in though and will take a bit of the edge off, but all told that's typically only around a 5% kick back. But you can milk a lot of perks and upgrades especially with the hotel points.

tony404
06-25-2008, 02:57 AM

Why do they pick high end hotels for most of the shows? For the most part this isnt a high end bunch, working in front of computers in their underwear. lol

Jace
06-25-2008, 03:16 AM
Why do they pick high end hotels for most of the shows? For the most part this isnt a high end bunch, working in front of computers in their underwear. lol
you obviously missed the redneck getaway, hahahaha

http://www.fubarwebmasters.com/galleries/rng06/295/z00053.jpg

the shittiest hotel I have ever stayed in and one of the most memorable vacations I have had...that was a GREAT webmaster social

bluemoney
06-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Damn! I didn't know anybody could see me!

Toby
06-25-2008, 09:12 AM

Rank and file webmasters make up a pretty small percentage of the attendees at most shows these days.

gonzo
06-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Holiday Inn in San fran wasnt highend. But Jay hooke me up with retard rails in my toilet!

miz_wright
06-25-2008, 11:32 AM
it really isn't as cool as it sounds, haha

don't forget to hit The Vortex for one of the best burgers in Atlanta

on a side note, you will be hard pressed to find a bad meal here (don't listen to the picky fat fucks), atlanta has been rated in the top 5 food in the nation for like 4 years running now

along with that, if you are into arts, we have an amazing arts scene

and if you are lucky, you might be in town for a Atlanta Rollergirls (http://www.atlantarollergirls.com/) tournament

if you are into stuff like that, and want to hit some "different" types of things you don't see in a lot of places, let me know, it is what I personally always try and do, fuck the norm!

.... MMMM! Vortex tater tots! 'n stupid big burgers... Mmmm.

Lil' Five used to be a lotta fun to poke around in, but it's gone pretty corporate these days - though hitting up Psycho Ssiters and Junkman's is always worth it. And that record store (... drawing a blank) is big fun.

The Highlander is always good for late-night fun/ food/ beers, and I woulda sed R. Thomas, but I heard it closed down.

Check out the Alliance Theatre's schedule - I know their season has some incredible stuff coming up.

And you can always check out Big City Burlesque or Syrens of the South to see if they've got a show coming up.