PDA

View Full Version : .xxx gonna get the greenlight?

TheEnforcer
06-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Click link for full article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7468855.stm

By Darren Waters
Technology editor, BBC News web

The net could see its biggest transformation in decades if plans to open up the address system are passed.

The net's regulators will vote on Thursday to decide if the strict rules on so-called top level domain names, such as .com or .uk, can be relaxed.

If approved, it could allow companies to turn their brands into domain names while individuals could also carve out their own corner of the net.

The move could also see the launch of .xxx, after years of wrangling.

Top level domains are currently limited to individual countries, such as .uk (UK) or .it (Italy), as well as to commerce, .com, and to institutional organisations, such as .net, or .org.

gonzo
06-23-2008, 10:43 AM
The positive spin on that article is pathetic.

I thought the FSC had saved us for this? Wasnt that what theyve been bragging about for the past year?

Click link for full article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7468855.stm

By Darren Waters
Technology editor, BBC News web

The net could see its biggest transformation in decades if plans to open up the address system are passed.

The net's regulators will vote on Thursday to decide if the strict rules on so-called top level domain names, such as .com or .uk, can be relaxed.

If approved, it could allow companies to turn their brands into domain names while individuals could also carve out their own corner of the net.

The move could also see the launch of .xxx, after years of wrangling.

Top level domains are currently limited to individual countries, such as .uk (UK) or .it (Italy), as well as to commerce, .com, and to institutional organisations, such as .net, or .org.

Hammer
06-23-2008, 11:18 AM
So it's back again so soon? Hooray, I can finally get rich since I was smart enough to register orpano.xxx and a whole bunch of other great domains.

tony404
06-23-2008, 01:16 PM
so how is this supposed to work, I read but dont understand?

RawAlex
06-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Wow, talk about a spin article.

If I remember correctly the ICANN guy getting quoted is the same one that was all for .xxx the last time too... and it got shot down some fierce. The idea of opening up the internet with a million dot whatevers has come up a few times and been shot down just as fast. The proof in the pudding is that registries such as .info have turned into the virtual dumping ground of crap, not prime real estate but rather a phone booth in the middle of the net desert.

TheEnforcer
06-23-2008, 02:21 PM
I've read a few articles on how certain domain extensions really cause problems.

Hell Puppy
06-23-2008, 07:15 PM
The article used .xxx to draw eyeballs.

What they're really considering doing is opening up the ability for people to register their own TLD's. .xxx would certainly be a hot one and go early.

But the real vision here would be for say someone like Fox with it's FX network, to have a TLD just for the FX network, so they could then have domains like:

TheShield.FX
RescueMe.FX
NipTuck.FX

you could do the same with say the NFL:

falcons.nfl
cowboys.nfl
patriots.nfl

The question I have is how do you control the chaos? What qualifies for it's own TLD and how do you determine who has rights to it? .XXX would be a prime example of this. Highest bidder? Imagine the fun.

Buckwheat
06-23-2008, 11:41 PM
The article used .xxx to draw eyeballs.

What they're really considering doing is opening up the ability for people to register their own TLD's. .xxx would certainly be a hot one and go early.

But the real vision here would be for say someone like Fox with it's FX network, to have a TLD just for the FX network, so they could then have domains like:

TheShield.FX
RescueMe.FX
NipTuck.FX

you could do the same with say the NFL:

falcons.nfl
cowboys.nfl
patriots.nfl

The question I have is how do you control the chaos? What qualifies for it's own TLD and how do you determine who has rights to it? .XXX would be a prime example of this. Highest bidder? Imagine the fun.

I'm going for bitchcourt.sux :okthumb:

RawAlex
06-24-2008, 01:15 AM
yeah, but think about it. Someone registers, I dunno, .con and .nlf and takes 100% of the typos and redirects them. If they think they have problems now, this one just opens up a huge can of worms.

ICANN is starting to look greedy and stupid.

Greg B
06-24-2008, 01:38 AM
yeah, but think about it. Someone registers, I dunno, .con and .nlf and takes 100% of the typos and redirects them. If they think they have problems now, this one just opens up a huge can of worms.

ICANN is starting to look greedy and stupid.

Oh and this is coming from a guy who runs around this board accusing people of wearing tinfoil hats and blood not getting to people's brains.

Alex, you're about as bright as dead mole's asscrack.

RawAlex
06-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Oh and this is coming from a guy who runs around this board accusing people of wearing tinfoil hats and blood not getting to people's brains.

Alex, you're about as bright as dead mole's asscrack.

Greg, you just revealed yourself as an uninformed fool.

Please consider: http://www.oprano.cm or http://www.gregb-fool.cm

It isn't that uncommon the make that typo style mistake. The .cm registry has set up a wildcard refirect on anything that isn't actually in their registry. The results?

http://www.quantcast.com/agoga.com

approximately 350k visits per month from the US alone.

You really should do a little research before you start throwing asscracks around.