PDA

View Full Version : Biz thread : What advantages do blogs have over web pages for developing traffic?

tony404
06-16-2008, 06:56 PM
I read how WP uses a ton of resources, how it can be hacked. I had read one of the reasons for a blog is the exchange of ideas,the going back and forth. Most of the adult ones look like pic posts with a different look and more text.
So if I started just web pages to drive traffic to my sites, would a blog have any advantages?

Jace
06-16-2008, 07:05 PM
not sure why you think wordpress uses a lot of resources, I have had hundreds of blogs on one server and it never budges....the memory usage is always low, database stays firm and processor usage never exceeds .9 or so....now, I can tell you, if you have a webair server and are doing what I do, you will kill that server, they are infamous for not being able to optimize a server whatsoever, so any scripts using lots of php calls, database calls and scripting will bring a webair server to it's knees

and wordpress isn't hacked nearly as easy as everyone says, as long as you follow some pretty easy safety protocols you won't have any issues...most of the hacking you hear of is from people that run hundreds of blogs and set them up and leave them be...I haven't ever had a wordpress install hacked in 5 years of blogging with wordpress

as for blogs being better, yes, they are....mainly because a static page is just that, static, google and other se's see it never changing, so they come back less to check it out, a blog constantly changes, so googlebot comes back LOTS....i have one blog with googlebot hitting it 500 times a day

the blogs you see with just a few lines of text and a couple images are just bad blogs IMO, the whole idea behind a blog is writing about something

but then again, just starting a blog doesn't guarantee you traffic, you need to know how to work that shit once you get it going

i can usually start a blog and have it up to 500 uniques a day within 2 weeks, all organic se results, but I have been doing this a while and know a lot of tricks

if you ever need any help, let me know, would love to show you a few things....hell, maybe make a dinner night out of it before I leave atlanta

tony404
06-16-2008, 07:15 PM
not sure why you think wordpress uses a lot of resources, I have had hundreds of blogs on one server and it never budges....the memory usage is always low, database stays firm and processor usage never exceeds .9 or so....now, I can tell you, if you have a webair server and are doing what I do, you will kill that server, they are infamous for not being able to optimize a server whatsoever, so any scripts using lots of php calls, database calls and scripting will bring a webair server to it's knees

and wordpress isn't hacked nearly as easy as everyone says, as long as you follow some pretty easy safety protocols you won't have any issues...most of the hacking you hear of is from people that run hundreds of blogs and set them up and leave them be...I haven't ever had a wordpress install hacked in 5 years of blogging with wordpress

as for blogs being better, yes, they are....mainly because a static page is just that, static, google and other se's see it never changing, so they come back less to check it out, a blog constantly changes, so googlebot comes back LOTS....i have one blog with googlebot hitting it 500 times a day

the blogs you see with just a few lines of text and a couple images are just bad blogs IMO, the whole idea behind a blog is writing about something

but then again, just starting a blog doesn't guarantee you traffic, you need to know how to work that shit once you get it going

i can usually start a blog and have it up to 500 uniques a day within 2 weeks, all organic se results, but I have been doing this a while and know a lot of tricks

if you ever need any help, let me know, would love to show you a few things....hell, maybe make a dinner night out of it before I leave atlanta

Yes we have to and good words.I got a hostgator virtual host to fuck around with to learn so if I fucked anything up I wouldnt affect the server that pays the bills.Also I glad you posted I was worried about you. Glad your ok. :)

Jace
06-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Yes we have to and good words.Also I glad you posted I was worried about you. Glad your ok. :)
I am fine, just going through some personal issues, death and stuff like that

tony404
06-16-2008, 07:24 PM
I am fine, just going through some personal issues, death and stuff like that

You need me bro Im only a phone call away :)

Hell Puppy
06-16-2008, 09:11 PM
It'll use some resources if you load it up with traffic and goodies. I usually have to do quite a bit of tuning when they sneak up around 50K. If you've looked under the hood the database schema is not very well done. It also has a nasty habit of corrupting itself when it gets really slammed.

It WILL scale, the effort level needed just goes up significantly when you start stressing it.