PDA

View Full Version : writers copyrights

Rcourt64
06-08-2008, 11:35 AM
When it comes to content stories and articles written by writers for the general public to read.
I've noticed many of these stories and articles get CCP by other readers, then taken to other forums and places of public chats throughout the Internet for further discussion.

Is this legal? aren't copyrights being messed with here?
or does the actual content of the story or article determine its copyright value and standards?
example: A news story in comparison to maybe a personal sex novel story.
and if not, do I need authors permission to use his written story?

Without the purpose of any profit for gain from "specific written content", and also offering the author recognition for there content, is it still illegal?
Does the value of the writer or the written content have any copyrights or monetary value when its presumed a public document for display and reading?

RawAlex
06-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Written word is no different from any other created content: The author (or the rights holder) owns the rights unless they have specifically released it into that good old "public domain". If you write a book, you own the rights to the book and you can control how it is used.

HOWEVER... there are plenty of exceptions to any rule. Fair use, the quoting of some of an article to report on the article itself, or to make a point while giving attribution (I am sure you did this in University, right?) . There are tons of other little exceptions.

For chat boards like this, nobody has made case law yet that I know of. Basically, if an article is published in, say, USA TOday, can some or all of it be posted "between friends" as part of a discussion? Does USA Today lose money because we wouldn't read it? Does it give them a boost? Nobody has gone there.

As for erotic stories, those are all copyrighted material to the original author. Most of them have released them for "non commercial use", which means in theory you cannot use them in a membership site or on a page with advertising (aka, commercial benefit). Many of the authors of these things are mega-agressive about protecting their work and they will hassle you endlessly if they find their stuff on a site you own.

In other words, don't do it.

There is no "presumed public domain" - either you can prove it is, or it isn't. No presumptions allowed.

Rcourt64
06-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Written word is no different from any other created content: The author (or the rights holder) owns the rights unless they have specifically released it into that good old "public domain". If you write a book, you own the rights to the book and you can control how it is used.

HOWEVER... there are plenty of exceptions to any rule. Fair use, the quoting of some of an article to report on the article itself, or to make a point while giving attribution (I am sure you did this in University, right?) . There are tons of other little exceptions.

For chat boards like this, nobody has made case law yet that I know of. Basically, if an article is published in, say, USA TOday, can some or all of it be posted "between friends" as part of a discussion? Does USA Today lose money because we wouldn't read it? Does it give them a boost? Nobody has gone there.

As for erotic stories, those are all copyrighted material to the original author. Most of them have released them for "non commercial use", which means in theory you cannot use them in a membership site or on a page with advertising (aka, commercial benefit). Many of the authors of these things are mega-agressive about protecting their work and they will hassle you endlessly if they find their stuff on a site you own.

In other words, don't do it.

There is no "presumed public domain" - either you can prove it is, or it isn't. No presumptions allowed.

Well this is why I originally ask these questions.
I get what your saying, and realized that small gap where "Nobody's gone there yet" point being reached.
So I wanted to ask how far I can push the line here, when copyrights get involved.
Discussing a reposted article elsewhere from where originally posted should be to the advantage of the writer and its promoters. "at least I would think this":scratchin

USA Today is a good example, I wish to engage in conversation on a story written from USA Today per say,
I CP'd the story onto another chat forum or personal website for discussion? There shouldn't be anything illegal about this.
It's no different than what a Radio Station might do live on the air, to read or quote an article from any major press release and then open phone lines for discussion? right?

gonzo
06-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Well this is why I originally ask these questions.
I get what your saying, and realized that small gap where "Nobody's gone there yet" point being reached.
So I wanted to ask how far I can push the line here, when copyrights get involved.
Discussing a reposted article elsewhere from where originally posted should be to the advantage of the writer and its promoters. "at least I would think this":scratchin

USA Today is a good example, I wish to engage in conversation on a story written from USA Today per say,
I CP'd the story onto another chat forum or personal website for discussion? There shouldn't be anything illegal about this.
It's no different than what a Radio Station might do live on the air, to read or quote an article from any major press release and then open phone lines for discussion? right?
I try to link back to the source or credit it.

If its a press release or the orginal souce is an RSS feed then its meant to be passed around and edited.

ali25extreme
06-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Some of my stories have been copied and passed as someones elses work how do I get them to stop?...

Toby
06-09-2008, 09:46 AM
How far you can push depends on how willing you are to deal with the consequences when a copyright owner decides to push back. You're the only one that can answer that question.

deviant
06-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Some of my stories have been copied and passed as someones elses work how do I get them to stop?...

Gonzo has man and bat on retainer, you may want to talk to him.

Toby
06-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Send a C & D letter from your attorney and/or a DMCA notice to the web site owner and the site host.

Toby
06-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Gonzo has man and bat on retainer, you may want to talk to him.

Isn't that Mann & Batt, LLC. ;)

RawAlex
06-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Rcourt, I think at some point, there is a question of intent here. As an example, Gonzo (and others) post articles here. The concept isn't to stop people from visiting or buying the other medium, but rather the encourage discussion on the subject here. With a "originally from bob's news" in there, it is pretty much a reasonable use. Some may suggest that the whole article shouldn't be reproduced but rather an excerpt, but at this point, nobody has proven that point in the digital era.

It isn't clear, so it isn't something you would want to base a business plan on.

ali25extreme
06-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Send a C & D letter from your attorney and/or a DMCA notice to the web site owner and the site host.

Isn't the DMCA for video only? I will do the C & D letter and hope for results...thanks!
ALi:okthumb:

Rcourt64
06-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Rcourt, I think at some point, there is a question of intent here. As an example, Gonzo (and others) post articles here. The concept isn't to stop people from visiting or buying the other medium, but rather the encourage discussion on the subject here. With a "originally from bob's news" in there, it is pretty much a reasonable use. Some may suggest that the whole article shouldn't be reproduced but rather an excerpt, but at this point, nobody has proven that point in the digital era.

It isn't clear, so it isn't something you would want to base a business plan on.

Encouraging a discussion from an article from another source, giving full credits to its author,
and obtaining a profit from other sources and means of the same page,
but not a red cent from the article in discussion, this should be legal? right?
In the same relation of a TV or Radio Station going into commercials.
Its profits is made from the sponsors advertisement, but not from the actual article itself.

gonzo
06-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Encouraging a discussion from an article from another source, giving full credits to its author,
Its profits is made from the sponsors advertisement, but not from the actual article itself.
If they didnt mean for it to be reproduced they wouldnt send it out for republication via a press release or an RSS feed.

Both are syndication. Really Simple Syndication as a matter of fact.

Toby
06-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Isn't the DMCA for video only? I will do the C & D letter and hope for results...thanks!
ALi:okthumb:
Oh no, not just for video. DMCA applies to all intellectual copyright that you may find online. I've used it successfully to have copyrighted articles removed from sites.

A number of years ago I wrote an article for a collectibles web site that I've since found copied word for word on several other web sites without any links or attribution. A DMCA sent to site owner and the host has resulted in removal in less than 24 hours in each case.

ali25extreme
06-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Oh no, not just for video. DMCA applies to all intellectual copyright that you may find online. I've used it successfully to have copyrighted articles removed from sites.

A number of years ago I wrote an article for a collectibles web site that I've since found copied word for word on several other web sites without any links or attribution. A DMCA sent to site owner and the host has resulted in removal in less than 24 hours in each case.

O...:blink:...
I found my stories by chance ..is there a way to monitor if someone is copying my material?
I never thought that someone would take my stories..lazy assholes!:mad:

Toby
06-09-2008, 11:57 AM
...is there a way to monitor if someone is copying my material?A Google search for a pertinent key phrase (within quotes) will likely do the trick, unless they're posted on pages that require a login that GoogleBot can't access.

RawAlex
06-09-2008, 12:03 PM

Nope. You are driving off the road this time.

You need a copyright lawyer, because you aren't getting it at all.

EmporerEJ
06-09-2008, 03:21 PM
I found my stories by chance ..is there a way to monitor if someone is copying my material?

Are they GOOD stories?
Where can we read those?

EmporerEJ
06-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Boy, what a catch 22.....
The "article" has no value, unless people want to read it.
When the "article" becomes so popular, people want to read it, the author wants to control access to it.

And they wonder why we are always at war.......somewhere.

Rcourt64
06-09-2008, 08:11 PM
How far you can push depends on how willing you are to deal with the consequences when a copyright owner decides to push back. You're the only one that can answer that question.

Well thats it then I guess. :clapping:
Toby has wrapped up another thread for us with his fast two sentence reply. :okthumb:
Abuse all ya want till ya get POPPED and DROPPED! :blink:

I think this is how most of "us" amateur internet entrepreneur begin they're Adult Blogging or Website Business journey into the Imprudent Inaccurate Internet<---"thats a poor pun for Wild Wild West" ...this I believe is what 85% (if not more) of the Internet American Amateur Adult Business Network finds themselves in 2008, "then follows mainstream, but more towards Adult production direction here".

In todays American standard of living your average American Internet users business grows here like drinking and driving on American Highways, "Ya think its alright & push it and race it till ya get pulled over and convicted".
RIGHT TOBY? :okthumb:

Its difficult to attempt ideas of profit in a society of loose cannons and free law willed enterprise...

A Space for rent of Internet Limbo, ...Where FREE willed govern internet doesn't need to enforce these standards of American laws till the radar detects them.
Its not that I disagree with them, don't mistake my thoughts with anything anti American govern.
(Thats just not my bag here man):salute:
But its just continues to shows me more... Maybe I might find it more business soothing to do what I do for a living in another country. And probably at a much lower cost of investment without attempting to figure out and follow laws that no longer override me or my business.
And thats with a lower overhead, "But.. mums the word there" :rolleyes:

I love this country! But I ask why waste time attempting to build an Industry for profit on a line of Internet, Where a Wild Wild West Atmosphere still reigns, and your local sheriffs can only enforce legalities in they're own towns? :idontknow

helix
06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
If they didnt mean for it to be reproduced they wouldnt send it out for republication via a press release or an RSS feed.

Both are syndication. Really Simple Syndication as a matter of fact.

I try to link back to the source or credit it.

If its a press release or the orginal souce is an RSS feed then its meant to be passed around and edited.

That sums it up. Just give credit where credit is due, and if you want to push the envelope be prepared to defend your stance.
Nothing cryptic there.

RawAlex
06-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Helix, add this:

One thing that the adult world has proven is that DMCA works, but it gives a very unfair advantage to the copyright infringer. Because the holder has to notify, the infringer basically gets free use until told otherwise. It's almost criminal how DMCA has screwed up the rights of copyright holders.

deviant
06-09-2008, 11:18 PM

gonzo
06-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Plonkers must pack.

EmporerEJ
06-10-2008, 02:57 AM

Try Google alerts

deviant
06-10-2008, 11:06 AM
See how easy it was to copy Ali's post and pass it off as my own in the same thread, nobody caught me either. I think the same mentality is behind stealing other content. People figure that the internet is so big, the original author will never know and nobody else will realize it. In some areas of the internet ripping off other peoples stories and reposting them is referred to as "Copypasta".

Since the amount of content you have on a site helps your SEO and the internet is crammed full of people trying to boost their rankings, copypasta is becomming more and more common. (even though duplicate content can count against you).

ali25extreme
06-10-2008, 01:11 PM
See how easy it was to copy Ali's post and pass it off as my own in the same thread, nobody caught me either. I think the same mentality is behind stealing other content. People figure that the internet is so big, the original author will never know and nobody else will realize it. In some areas of the internet ripping off other peoples stories and reposting them is referred to as "Copypasta".

Since the amount of content you have on a site helps your SEO and the internet is crammed full of people trying to boost their rankings, copypasta is becomming more and more common. (even though duplicate content can count against you).

I found it! I am always on the web google searches would take way too long ..I have so many stories!

ali25extreme
06-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Are they GOOD stories?
Where can we read those?

I can write you a short discription of my dreams... if you would like...:1usuck::yowsa:

sarettah
06-10-2008, 09:09 PM

I noticed when I first read the thread yesterday. I just figured you hadn't figured out how to post yet and had fucked it up while trying to do a quote.

I wasn't worried because it took rhetorical about 5 years to figure out how to do a quote :yowsa:

Rcourt64
06-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Plonkers must pack.

Have A Nice Flight, Say Hi to Graham, or Rhetorical, or Julia, or whatever She/He impersonates at the show. :waving: Tell her I still think shes ugly

I tried the "Copypasta" a few years ago with music lyrics on auto feed blogs making keywords in the songs lyrics to described text.
The SE's traffic increased a majority.
But the type of traffic I was received was out of content to the product I was selling.:(

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/watermark.php?src=wp-content/uploads/2007/10/copy-pasta-keyboard.thumbnail.jpg

I found it! I am always on the web google searches would take way too long ..I have so many stories!

You said the G word
http://myadg.com/op-2008/gg-google-philosophy.jpg

I can write you a short discription of my dreams... if you would like...:1usuck::yowsa:

I assume for all of us to read :yowsa:
can you include my name in this dream?
DANG! :doh01: I got a woody now!!!

ali25extreme
06-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Sure no problem...I will do it today! After my work is done! :)

deviant
06-11-2008, 11:53 AM
rule #34 on keyboard please.

And I got rickrolled here today...
Anonymous is everywhere!

deviant
06-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Sure no problem...I will do it today! After my work is done! :)

At some point in the story please involve having a shoe or keyboard on your head. k thnx.

ali25extreme
06-11-2008, 01:17 PM
At some point in the story please involve having a shoe or keyboard on your head. k thnx.

A shoe can work sure!:huh:weird