PDA

View Full Version : HP. Just so you don't think I'm crazy

sarettah
05-31-2008, 08:08 PM
In case G pulls it before you see it this time (like apparently happened yesterday)

In the thread, the asshole put a post with thumbs and links to 170+ movies. Some of the thumbs look very questionable as to their legality.

They are linked to vids on new dot hqfreefilms dot com.

The post looked like this:

http://awrats.com/asshole.jpg

Fucking ripenic address and russian address in whois

Jace
06-01-2008, 03:36 AM
yeah, JBM gets hit with that shit all the time

RawAlex
06-01-2008, 10:03 AM
I suspect you would find that there are no movies there, just fake codec installs.

sarettah
06-01-2008, 10:34 AM
I suspect you would find that there are no movies there, just fake codec installs.

lol. I am not checking that far myself. I did do some googling and saw that site listed on tons of forums. Looked like the asshole posted the same thing all over the fucking place.

The post had first shown up here a few days ago and when I saw it I hit both G nd HP in icq about it. By the time HP went to look at the thread, the post had been removed. So, when the post showed up again (in the same thread no less) I hit them up again. This time I wantd to document it so that HP doesn't think I'm off my rocker if G got to it first.

RawAlex
06-01-2008, 11:30 AM
It is actually one of the only things they got right at the zoo, 30 posts before you can post links. Makes these things sort of useless.

gonzo
06-01-2008, 11:32 AM
It is actually one of the only things they got right at the zoo, 30 posts before you can post links. Makes these things sort of useless.
Probably not a bad idea

Hammer
06-01-2008, 11:50 AM
30 is way too many. We went with 10 when I was running Klixxx but you still run the risk of running off new members. There are lots of legitimate reasons for a new member to post links like asking for a review of their site. So, I think it's a good idea but you need to come up with a number that doesn't require someone to spend a week posting quality posts or a day posting useless bullshit so they can start posting links.

RawAlex
06-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Hammer, they can post " i need a review of my site, please check http www.mynewsite.com and let me know" without it being a link. Guys who are their 1st posts posting links (especially 50 to 100 links in a single post) aren't looking for input, just suckers.

sarettah
06-01-2008, 01:22 PM
You could probably also throttle the number of links allowed in a post.

I would think a limit of 5 links would cover most any legitimate post.

This one had over 170 links in it.

DannyCox
06-01-2008, 01:30 PM
On my wrestling boards, I have it set up so that new people have to respond to 5 posts before they can start a thread of their own, and they are also limited as to links and attachments for those first 5 posts. It really did cut the bot spam way down.

gonzo
06-01-2008, 03:19 PM
All wise input. I thank you all for it.

sarettah
06-01-2008, 05:04 PM
All wise input. I thank you all for it.

Damn, we got you fooled :yowsa:

softball
06-01-2008, 06:09 PM
I still think Sarettah is crazy.

gonzo
06-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Damn, we got you fooled :yowsa:
Its happened before.

sarettah
06-01-2008, 07:33 PM
I still think Sarettah is crazy.

Yeah, but you're from Canada.

Nymph
06-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah, but you're from Canada.

Well, I'm not from Canada, and I KNOW you are crazy :p

Hammer
06-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Requiring someone to reply to a set number of posts first is also a good idea, although the serious spammers will just post a bunch of "i agree", and "good idea" posts. The outsource spammers are highly adept at that.

gonzo
06-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Requiring someone to reply to a set number of posts first is also a good idea, although the serious spammers will just post a bunch of "i agree", and "good idea" posts. The outsource spammers are highly adept at that.
Carol already has sigwhore status.

bluemoney
06-01-2008, 08:11 PM
i agree
good idea

~ signed carol.prime ~

Jace
06-01-2008, 08:12 PM
the guy that is doing that is using a mass forum spamming bot, it is all automated...I know the bot and have tried it, it is pretty powerful, but letting them post images/links only after they have made a specific amount of posts is a good idea

the only thing is, that spam bot software has an option for forums that do that, and will hit your forum with useless replies until it hits that mark

Hammer
06-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Here's what you do to beat the spambot.

Step 1. No one is allowed to post a link or an image until they've made 10 posts.

Step 2. Ditto until they've replied to at least 10 posts

Step 3. Ditto until they've replied to a second email (sent after the first confirmation email) that contains a question that only a human can answer. Once they reach 10 posts and 10 replies they get an email congratulating them on becoming a full fledged member of the club and informing them that they are now able to post links and images, after they reply to the email and answer the question. The question doesn't need to be difficult, maybe something like what color is Oprano's background? But, only a human that reads the email will be able to answer the question.

Step 3 (option). Instead of an email, set up the script to automatically send them a PM letting them know they will be able to post links and images as soon as they reply to the PM.