PDA

View Full Version : Here’s A Hosting Provider You’ll Probably Want To Avoid

buzzsaw
05-06-2008, 04:56 AM
Websites go down every day (see, for example, Twitter), but this is the first time I’ve heard that reason for an outage was due to the fact that servers were stolen from a data center.That’s exactly what appears to have happened, though, to PeterGabriel.com. His site is down (along with nine related sites) and shows [...]

More... (http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Techcrunch/~3/284500456/)

mmemmer
05-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Well it certainly isn't funny for the companies affected by it but this is not the first time it has happened. You may be able to do a search a few years back for a company by the name of LikeWhoa, they had a disgruntled employee leave with a few key peices of equipment in the middle of the night (name servers, etc).

Rumor had it at the time that the employee wanted compensation for wages he was due. The wriiting had been on the wall for a long time and it wasn't long after that before they closed there doors. Bad as it was at the time for their dedicated clients, there colo customers really got the shaft.

Back to the old saying though, you get what you pay for. Beware the hosts that promise the world for FREE, hosting and especially good hosting, cost money to maintain and deliver. Beware the hosts that promise great deals if you pay cash up front. Sadly they were not the first and won't be the last. Hosting represents the cornerstone of your online presence and for the little bits that you can save by choosing a "budget host", it can cost you so much in the end.

gonzo
05-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Well it certainly isn't funny for the companies affected by it but this is not the first time it has happened. You may be able to do a search a few years back for a company by the name of LikeWhoa, they had a disgruntled employee leave with a few key peices of equipment in the middle of the night (name servers, etc).

Rumor had it at the time that the employee wanted compensation for wages he was due. The wriiting had been on the wall for a long time and it wasn't long after that before they closed there doors. Bad as it was at the time for their dedicated clients, there colo customers really got the shaft.

Back to the old saying though, you get what you pay for. Beware the hosts that promise the world for FREE, hosting and especially good hosting, cost money to maintain and deliver. Beware the hosts that promise great deals if you pay cash up front. Sadly they were not the first and won't be the last. Hosting represents the cornerstone of your online presence and for the little bits that you can save by choosing a "budget host", it can cost you so much in the end.

There are so many rumors about that particuliar host including some questionable investment that if you knew them it would make your head spin.

The search function here can provide anyone that wants it a good history on the Like Whoa saga.

DannyCox
05-06-2008, 11:52 PM
I forgot all about that! The employee who walked off with little things like the network routers in the middle of the night was an old part-time employee of mine. He was actually quite useless, but his wife was doing support work for me and helped out Carol quite a bit when she was pregnant 11 years ago, that I used to throw him some part-time work. He got his job at LikeWhoa by saying he used to be my Network Admin (and they never checked with me)

ppixel01
05-07-2008, 02:35 AM
That is why we host our own site ourselves. so when ever it is down or got problem you have nothing to worry about.

gonzo
05-07-2008, 08:13 AM
That is why we host our own site ourselves. so when ever it is down or got problem you have nothing to worry about.
Sure you do. What happens if your upstream connection goes off line?

sarettah
05-07-2008, 09:38 AM

You dial up to another one?

:scratchin

gonzo
05-07-2008, 10:00 AM

We used to call that a one line BBS.
One person at a time!

sarettah
05-07-2008, 10:17 AM
One person at a time!

lolol. We used to have the dungeon limited to one hour a day.

Renegade rocked !

gonzo
05-07-2008, 10:18 AM
lolol. We used to have the dungeon limited to one hour a day.

Renegade rocked !
Cott Lang is still a homo.

Toby
05-07-2008, 10:18 AM
One person at a time!
Ahhh, we're waxing nostalgic this morning.

Dial-in
download all new posts
Disconnect
Read and type replies offline
Dial-in to upload

The good ol' days ;)

gonzo
05-07-2008, 10:24 AM

Dial-in
download all new posts
Disconnect
Dial-in to upload

The good ol' days ;)
Robomail and EzReader!

Its called googlereader now and RSS.

DannyCox
05-07-2008, 01:47 PM
We ran our own hosting for years, and back in the day, made a nice little profit hosting for others. At one time, we were the largest bandwidth users in Montreal, even larger than the ISPs with thier dial-up only ;) But with the reduction in bandwidth pricing, it wasn't really worth hosting anymore. We finally shut down all our own servers and moved over to Brad at Mojohost. That move saved me a lot of headache, overhead, and the salaries of my two Network Guys.

It was the right decision years ago, but I prefer what we do now for these times.

DannyCox
05-07-2008, 01:49 PM
I also see the ppixel01 is hosting his sites in the Philippines. Not a good choice to serve a worldwide market.

raymor
05-08-2008, 03:04 PM

Or how about if someone comes in and takes your stuff while you're at lunch?
For most webmasters, they have a copy of their site in their office and a copy
on their server. Since their are two copies they still have one should one get
stolen. Hosting it out of your office it sounds like someone could come in and
take everything - you wouldn't even have a copy left. So I'd say you have MORE
to worry about, rather than nothing to worry about.

That said, we have dual high speed connections here in our office, so we have a
development server here that we use for experimenting, not doing anything critical,
and also one running a VOIP service for a local non-profit - again, not a critical service,
as it fails over nicely if the server disappears. We also have someone here virtually
24/7, four very obvious security cameras out front, and alarm system loud enough to
cause permanent hearing damage if you don't get out within two minutes.

EmporerEJ
05-09-2008, 10:27 AM

Dial-in
download all new posts
Disconnect
Dial-in to upload

The good ol' days ;)

Renegade/speakeasy network forever!

EmporerEJ
05-09-2008, 10:29 AM

Hey, I ran one of these...I actually had two phone lines, SLMail, and our very own site in 1997.

Then, we basically turned into an email relay, and it wrecked our bandwidth.

boobbucks
05-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info!

DannyCox
05-09-2008, 03:22 PM
When we first started back in April 1994, we ran Carol's site off of a Microsoft box with IIS and a 256K ISDN line. We funneled that bandwidth off of a BBS we helped run back in the day. We were set for 72 concurrent connections, and when the page loaded with "Maximum Number Of Connections - Please Try Again Later" more than 50% of the time, we knew it was time to upgrade ;)