PDA

View Full Version : MojoHost says NO to Tube sites

gonzo
04-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Dear clients,
In 2008 the challenges of 'principle' facing the adult online industry are
fundamentally the same as when I began in 1999. In my opinion, there have
always been two underlying considerations for every business practice: 1) is
it legal, and 2) is it the right thing to do.

I had my own birth by fire in our industry nine years ago after purchasing a
business that I thought answered yes and yes to those questions... but
post-purchase discovered it was, as a whole, not legal and not right by my
own standards. I made many mistakes but the long story short is I "deleted"
everything and started from scratch as soon as I figured out what needed to
be done and how I was going to pay for it during that, my first year of
poverty and self employment.

As a hosting service provider MojoHost has a rich 6 year history of
providing exceptional service, personal support and great value. We have
certainly made mistakes over the years but overwhelmingly are proud of our
service history and reputation for good business practices.

It is my personal belief, and now the official position of MojoHost, that
tube sites whose business model relies predominately on revenues generated
from the dissemination of obviously stolen content are unacceptable and we
will not host them. Any sites discovered on our network that fall into this
category of publishing a preponderance of unlicensed videos will be given 60
days to bring their business model into compliance or may have our
assistance in choosing and moving to another suitable host.

Everyone has to do what is right for their business. This is simply our
choice and it is motivated purely by what I feel is best for our industry as
a whole. This proliferation of stolen content has gone on for too long and
affected content producers and publishers in ways that everyone does not yet

understand. I am of the belief that we will continue to see these tube
sites legitimize their business models, and as each of them finish we would
be happy to provide them with a hosting solution.

I invite your calls, emails and ICQ messages to discuss this matter if it is
important to you. We are completely committed to providing you with an
exceptional hosting solution and helping you with business transition,
growth and challenges.
Sincerely,
Brad Mitchell, CEO
MojoHost
248-233-2045
ICQ #56950199

:wnw:

DragonKing
04-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Right on Brother Mojo!!!

who's the next host to "Man Up" and do something.
This just made my day.

softball
04-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I have been working with Brad for years and I have to say he is one of the most honest hardworking people I have done business with. His service is exceptional and between him and Corey, if there is a problem, they are all over it right away. I applaud him in this decision and hope others follow suit.

Sexyteaser
04-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Brad - Just in case you stop by to read this I just wanted to say kudos for doing the right thing.

TheEnforcer
04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Brad's a 100% class act. :okthumb:

RawAlex
04-09-2008, 11:55 PM
While I have much respect for Brad on this issue, I have to ask:

Will he ask all of his other non-tube accounts to provide needed documentation for their content?

Does he understand that by 'controlling' what he hosts, he may be throwing away his protections under DCMA and other common carrier laws?

Those two things alone should be enough to make everyone pause and think.

Hell Puppy
04-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Yup, Brad is a class act and one of a small handful of places I'd even consider hosting.

Takes a lot of balls to turn down business at all, even more so in a business where alomst everyone is pushing the edge of the envelope between right and wrong. But this isn't the first time I've seen him turn down action simply because it's the right thing to do.

That's something I admire.

EmporerEJ
04-10-2008, 03:31 AM

Will he ask all of his other non-tube accounts to provide needed documentation for their content?

Does he understand that by 'controlling' what he hosts, he may be throwing away his protections under DCMA and other common carrier laws?

I don't agree. He's simply choosing not to accept business from a "risky" customer. Who do you think will challenge him?

gonzo
04-10-2008, 08:18 AM

Id be interested in seeing what Micheal has to say about this. Because it is my understanding that Alex is on to something here.

Sexyteaser
04-10-2008, 10:49 AM

I have to believe that Mojo was served a copyright infringement letter that had very harsh words and threats in it and his legal rerpresentation encouraged compliance. Because of how the message is written by Brad I think that he would still have protections under DCMA but that would be determined by a legal ruling.

It is my personal belief, and now the official position of MojoHost, that
tube sites whose business model relies predominately on revenues generated
from the dissemination of obviously stolen content are unacceptable and we
will not host them. Any sites discovered on our network that fall into this
category of publishing a preponderance of unlicensed videos will be given 60
days to bring their business model into compliance or may have our
assistance in choosing and moving to another suitable host.

I know that two other hosting companies that focus on mainstream but had some adult clients received (I believe federal) warrants on the same issue and had to turn those servers over.

RawAlex
04-10-2008, 03:03 PM
If Brad has a valid DMCA notice in his hands, he is obliged to act or become just about as responsible as the person violating the copyright. It isn't unusual for host to take this step, and in fact this is the best way for you to get quick resolution if your material is getting violated - DMCA the host, and they will normally take action (if they are in the US).

Where I think this may fall into a black hole is the idea of "tube sites whose business model relies predominately on revenues generated from the dissemination of obviously stolen content ". This "fact" could only be supported by valid DMCA noticed from the copyright holders, otherwise Mojohost has no way to determine the validity of the content, and have no reason to act without notification. Shutting a site down and then finding out all the content was used with permission would be a huge legal nightmare.

I look forward to a lawyer's opinion on this one!

Brad Mitchell
04-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the kudos.

No, I have not been served any such serious letters from lawyers or received any more than the average of 1-2 DMCAs per month. I have great legal representation but have had no issues with copyright holders more than any host. In fact, I have always assumed based on our size that I see less of them than average.

The DMCA notices we get never rarely go beyond me. We comply quickly and always engage the clients and complaining party so that the right actions are taken.

I've always guided our client acceptance with my personal judgement. The idea here is to make sure that we don't let any serial offenders slip under the radar. I don't want to turn a blind eye and just respond to DMCAs if and when they come in. I believe as an industry pro I can easily communicate with clients and content producers - that I can easily sort out which sites have a preponderance of stolen content and kick them out.

Brad

SabrinaDeep
04-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the kudos.

No, I have not been served any such serious letters from lawyers or received any more than the average of 1-2 DMCAs per month. I have great legal representation but have had no issues with copyright holders more than any host. In fact, I have always assumed based on our size that I see less of them than average.

The DMCA notices we get never rarely go beyond me. We comply quickly and always engage the clients and complaining party so that the right actions are taken.

I've always guided our client acceptance with my personal judgement. The idea here is to make sure that we don't let any serial offenders slip under the radar. I don't want to turn a blind eye and just respond to DMCAs if and when they come in. I believe as an industry pro I can easily communicate with clients and content producers - that I can easily sort out which sites have a preponderance of stolen content and kick them out.

Brad

Amen!

EmporerEJ
04-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the kudos.

Brad

WOW!
You mean there are actually people in our industry that believe in doing sensible, and reasonable business, without slapping their dicks on the table?
Who'd a thought?

Hammer
04-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Although I applaud Brad for this decision, it will hardly matter because there will always be some host somewhere that won't give a shit and even if Vivid prevails in their lawsuit and tube sites in the U.S. become a thing of the past, there will always be tube sites that will set up shop in other countries (Eastern Europe) where integrity and honesty are foreign notions.

softball
04-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Although I applaud Brad for this decision, it will hardly matter because there will always be some host somewhere that won't give a shit and even if Vivid prevails in their lawsuit and tube sites in the U.S. become a thing of the past, there will always be tube sites that will set up shop in other countries (Eastern Europe) where integrity and honesty are foreign notions.
true, but ya gotta start somewhere.

mojobill
04-14-2008, 08:21 AM

We are not, nor do we intend to be, the Internet police! ;-)

We cant control what others will do, but we CAN do what we believe is the right thing!

gonzo
04-14-2008, 08:24 AM

We cant control what others will do, but we CAN do what we believe is the right thing!

"Sometimes you gotta do things you don't want to...If you're lookin' for a purpose in life, doin' what's right is your purpose." - Sal Bonpensiero / Big Pussy from the Sopranos.

Hammer
04-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Aw c'mon. I know it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it.

softball
04-14-2008, 08:40 PM
http://www.copsonline.com/
Here ya go.....