PDA

View Full Version : Founders of The Pirate Bay Sued for $2.5 Million

gonzo
04-08-2008, 08:56 AM
STOCKHOLM, Sweden - The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry filed a $2.5 million copyright infringement lawsuit against file-sharing tracker site The Pirate Bay on April 1 in Sweden.

In response to the lawsuit, The Pirate Bay co-founder Gorrfrid Warg told The Local that "the record companies can go screw themselves."

The record industry's lawsuit focuses on 24 albums the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry monitored to calculate damages according to the number of times they were illegally downloaded.
The Pirate Bay co-founders Fredrik Neij, Peter Sunde and Carl Lundström also were named in the suit, which also mentions nine films and four video games made available through the site.

"This damages (sic) now being demanded are based on the albums which the prosecutor has included in his indictment," said Lars Gustafsson, head of the Swedish chapter of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. "The injury to the record companies, the artists and the copyright holders caused by The Pirate Bay's illegal activity is many times greater."
The Pirate Bay's founders also face previously filed criminal charges of being accessories to copyright infringement.

softball
04-08-2008, 09:17 AM
"Gorrfrid Warg told The Local that "the record companies can go screw themselves."":-pearl:

gonzo
04-08-2008, 09:27 AM
"Gorrfrid Warg told The Local that "the record companies can go screw themselves."":-pearl:
Hahaha Im not so sure thats a nominee for From the Mouths of Morons!

RawAlex
04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Sooner or later, they will end up in a court in front of a judge that is smart enough to realize that these guys are playing games with the law, and will send them off to a swedish butt slamin' prison for a few years to remind them not to fuck with the law.

In the mean time, the record companies and video companies can happily keep these guys in court for years.

TheEnforcer
04-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Like Alex said, thoe companies can just grind down that company in the legal system.

softball
04-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Sooner or later, they will end up in a court in front of a judge that is smart enough to realize that these guys are playing games with the law, and will send them off to a swedish butt slamin' prison for a few years to remind them not to fuck with the law.

In the mean time, the record companies and video companies can happily keep these guys in court for years.

I wonder which side has the bigger legal budget.....hmmmm

Toby
04-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Adult content producers as well as owners of illegal tube sites, torrent sites, etc. should be following this with great interest.

softball
04-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Adult content producers as well as owners of illegal tube sites, torrent sites, etc. should be following this with great interest.

I hope they hang their asses out to dry.

Paul Markham
04-09-2008, 01:14 AM
There is another way to fight pirates. Not sure if it would work, but it scares the life out of pirates.

Sue the guys doing the uploading. Find them and summons them. Offer to settle out of court or go to court. Then let the uploaders and downloaders know what you're doing. Tell them you will share part of the winnings for the information on who is pirating content. Pirate Bay might need some money soon.

I posted on a file sharers forum that this was the route www.pak-inc.com are going and it scares them. They start by saying we can't find them, then asking if it's good for our image and end up bleating we are being unfair.

The thing that makes pirating a problem is the lack of penalties pirates face. Let them know they might get caught and sued and the problem will decrease. Not easy, but is it possible?

softball
04-09-2008, 01:31 AM
There is another way to fight pirates. Not sure if it would work, but it scares the life out of pirates.

Sue the guys doing the uploading. Find them and summons them. Offer to settle out of court or go to court. Then let the uploaders and downloaders know what you're doing. Tell them you will share part of the winnings for the information on who is pirating content. Pirate Bay might need some money soon.

I posted on a file sharers forum that this was the route www.pak-inc.com (http://www.pak-inc.com) are going and it scares them. They start by saying we can't find them, then asking if it's good for our image and end up bleating we are being unfair.

The thing that makes pirating a problem is the lack of penalties pirates face. Let them know they might get caught and sued and the problem will decrease. Not easy, but is it possible?

Paul Markham.....ding ding board tracker.....I am at the....hopefully...end of a two year civil lawsuit which I will win. However, unless you really love litigation, or you have never done it but it sounds like a good idea, it sucks. Win or lose, it is the most miserable experience I have ever been through....and I will get a settlement of around 75K.....for two fucking years of bullshit. Its easy to say sue the bastard (i tried years ago to buy that url, but it was gone)....but the reality is, that it is sheer misery. And it costs a ton of fucking money on a gamble that doesn't pay a huge roi.

gonzo
04-09-2008, 01:31 AM

I posted on a file sharers forum that this was the route www.pak-inc.com (http://www.pak-inc.com) are going and it scares them. They start by saying we can't find them, then asking if it's good for our image and end up bleating we are being unfair.

Werent you just uploading to Redtube a month ago?

How well did that traffic convert for you?
Or are you still telling affiliates that its their responsibility to convert thier traffic into sales on your site as well?

Sexyteaser
04-09-2008, 08:49 AM

On GFY Dave wrote this (http://www.gfy.com/showthread.php?t=819071)about tube sites.

Tube sites - Make $1 cost industry $100 - Contact me I will join all law suits
dave@platinumbucks.com (dave@platinumbucks.com)

I will financially contribute to any and all law suits that are being organised against tube sites.

Contact me.

I will also help getting more owners to join who I am close with.

###

http://www.gfy.com/showthread.php?t=819071 (http://www.gfy.com/showthread.php?t=819071)

gonzo
04-09-2008, 09:11 AM
On GFY Dave wrote this (http://www.gfy.com/showthread.php?t=819071)about tube sites.

Tube sites - Make $1 cost industry $100 - Contact me I will join all law suits
dave@platinumbucks.com (dave@platinumbucks.com)

I will financially contribute to any and all law suits that are being organised against tube sites.

Contact me.

I will also help getting more owners to join who I am close with.

###

http://www.gfy.com/showthread.php?t=819071 (http://www.gfy.com/showthread.php?t=819071)

Funny - Plat Bucks owns DVDtube wonder if hes going to sue himself?

Toby
04-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Dave has been taking lessons from the legendary one.

gonzo
04-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Dave has been taking lessons from the legendary one.
Im pretty sure I know how thats been working out for him.

tony404
04-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Funny - Plat Bucks owns DVDtube wonder if hes going to sue himself?

dvdtube is a paysite. lol

gonzo
04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
dvdtube is a paysite. lol
Is that what its supposed to be? Im laughing harder.

RawAlex
04-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Paul, sorry but trying to scare the uploaders isn't working very well for the music or movie industries - they always end up with pie on their faces and nobody is scared by it.

Reality is this: The court system can handle only a certain number of cases per year. If you are really very aggressive and very diligent, you might get 1 in 10 million uploaders into court, and then you have to prove your case. Even those who settle out of court is a drop in the bucket.

Literally, you would be emptying the ocean with a spoon. It might give you a nice feeling, but it does little.

The true solution comes from tracking down the income for these sites. The Pirate Bay makes money from selling ads and promoting products on the pages right next lists of stolen content, software, and videos. Trust me, you remove the income potential from these sites, and these guys disappear in seconds. They aren't into this on principal, they are into it for the money.

Remove the income, remove the reason (and the abiltity to stay hosted) that these sites exist.

Going the other way just pisses off your true potential customers and does little to resolve the problem.