PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon Bans Google

Rcourt64
03-07-2008, 07:24 AM
The Pentagon has banned Google Earth teams from making detailed street-level video maps of U.S. military bases.
A message sent to all Defense Department bases and installations around the country late last week told officials to not allow the popular mapping Web site from taking panoramic views inside the facilities.
Michael Kucharek, spokesman for U.S. Northern Command, told The Associated Press on Thursday that the decision was made after crews were allowed access to at least one base. He said military officials were concerned that allowing the 360-degree, street-level video could provide sensitive information to potential adversaries and endanger base personnel.
His comments came just a few days after published reports suggested that protesters used Google Earth to help plot their access to the roof of the Parliament building in London.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23505366/

http://myadg.com/op-2008/google_watching_you_independent_newspaper_24_may_2 0071.png

RawAlex
03-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Duh.... "hi, we are from google and we want to take very detailed images of your military base so people can easily find their way around... don't worry, we are a US based company!".

I am trying to figured out who was the stupid idiot that let them into the first base to start with, it's a military installation, not a public street.

DragonKing
03-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Here is the scenario

Government has the Same technology but its not readily accessible to government officials due to red tapes and security issues.

along comes Google Earth developed by the same NGA
anyone with a connection can access.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htintel/articles/20070102.aspx

RawAlex
03-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Yup, google earth is a great tool if you want to look at information that is 1 to 3 years out of date and getting worse as they go along. Where I live now, there has been 3 years of contruction behind me that still isn't reflected in Googlemaps at all, and I live in a major city. Imagine how accurate their stuff is in Trashcanistan or Hideyholestan.

Google are the masters of taking dated information and making it appear relevant (see SERPs for 5 year old non-updated sites dominating important terms).

DannyCox
03-07-2008, 01:51 PM
One of our neighbours had a huge tree taken down that used to show up clearly on Google Earth. That was done in November. The latest close up of my street in DDO shows the tree gone, but no snow. So I have to assume the image is from late November to early December, just before that first snow storm we had.

But, the image of our old neighbourhood in Calgary is at least 5 years old as they don't reflect a new development that started going up back then.

DragonKing
03-07-2008, 02:41 PM
They have alot of area to cover.

Where I lived in Costa Rica wasnt even available, a few weeks later they did the major city San Jose and started working their way out

EmporerEJ
03-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Seems a no brainer to me.
They shouldn't have access to the military bases.

As for us, they still show our facility in about 2005-2006. Now get this.....
The river is also flooded...seriously. Which means possibly before 2005. It narrows it down to a couple times.

I will investigate further. Live from Microsoft has more recent info.

It's funny, as we are in the kill zone of Three Mile Island, and you'd think that would be an area of attention.

Update:

My Bad......Microsoft Live has beaten Google...Badly. They have our updated facility, with the new second building, roof....but not the flagpole at the local government facility.
That makes it past 2006 November......