PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

MikeSouth
12-21-2007, 06:09 PM
OK I am trying to implement a members area for mikesouth.com which uses wordpress on the front end (not in the members aresa)

when I make the call to mikesouth.com/newmembers/index.htm everything works fine

UNTILL I add the .htaccess file Its been stripped to this

AuthUserFile /home/xxxsouth/public_html/mikesouth/cgi-bin/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName Members
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET POST>
require valid-user
</Limit>

Ok pretty simple .htpasswd exists in that hardcoded directory and is readable

except wordpress is returning a 404 error, it doesnt display the dialogue login box that it should and it displays the 404 within wordpress (try it if you like) which I actually expect

what I dont understand is whyits not displaying the login

I can provide ssh for anyone willing to help

Thanks

Toby
12-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Mike, try using just the following as your .htaccess file

AuthUserFile /home/xxxsouth/public_html/mikesouth/cgi-bin/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "Members"
AuthType Basic
require valid-user

MikeSouth
12-21-2007, 06:40 PM
same thing

I dont get this could it be something in the .htaccess for the parent (which is wordpress)

heres that one

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress
Options All -Indexes

Toby
12-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Could be, since WP uses a ton of mod rewrites all over the place.

.htaccess isn't one of my long suits, so I won't venture any more guesses.

MikeSouth
12-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Could be, since WP uses a ton of mod rewrites all over the place.

.htaccess isn't one of my long suits, so I won't venture any more guesses.

Thanks man...I get a feeling the way around this is to write a simple login.htm script instead of using the dialogue box from apache

RawAlex
12-21-2007, 09:23 PM
without significant mods. wordpress is the culprit. Their current htaccess is pretty much an all consuming piece of you know what that takes all requests and processes them through a single bit of php.

Sites that use wordpress as "content" often have two complete version so wordpress running - an "outside" version running for the public pages, and then another complete version running in the members area (with it's own htaccess).

I wouldn't recommending putting a hack into wordpress to do the membership part, mostly because wordpress keeps updating and you will have to go back and hack it over and over again.

DragonKing
12-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Hi Mike,
Just a suggestion..
Why not try a different front end..
take a look here:
http://suicidedolls.com/

I'm using geeklog there. It's a fixed width but you can do a million things with it
and already has members area built in with alot of plugins.

Theres others out there as well.

I used to swear on wordpress but their constant upgrades and limited
core functionality gets old pretty quick

Rcourt64
12-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Where the heck is the naked DJ at?? ^_^ he's a Wordpress-blog master

MikeSouth
12-22-2007, 01:35 AM
you guys are right in that its the wordpress rewrite rules

heres the thing...the members section is totally outside of wordpress so it shouldnt matter but the rewrite rules of the parent directory are the culprit.

at least thats what Im told by my hosting company.

my southernbukkake site does the same thing but it works fine...I think because I use strongbox there and it uses its own login page.

does anyone know how to turn off the rewrite rules in .htaccess in the members section because once the user hits the members page they are out of wordpress for good.

I know diddly_squat about apache directives

RawAlex
12-22-2007, 04:49 AM
Mike, your host should be able to make it so that the child directory doesn't inherit the restrictions placed by the root htaccess. Ask them to check it.

Also, when you refer to your member directory, is the linking URL entirely explicit to the destination page? Sometimes incomplete or "fuzzy" URLs can cause an issue.

MikeSouth
12-23-2007, 12:51 AM
havent gotten that far yet alex

as i general rule i do want the directories to inherit the rewrite rules but not in this case

can i turn off mod rewrite in the .htaccess file in the child directory which is where the members dir will live

if so how (I know squat about apache directives....)

KevinG
12-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Mike,

If you want to keep the members section independent of WP, how about a sub-directory instead of a folder?

members.mikesouth.com for example.

Since you are already using WP, why not keep the members area as part of it?

That's what I would do. There's a ton of great plugins for all kinds of members stuff.

If you go that route, I would use aMember (in conjunction with ccbill) for the payment processing.

We use aMember on http://joannaangel.com with ccbill along with Joomla as the CMS.

Knowing what I know now though, I probably would have used WP for the CMS.

gonzo
12-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Mike,

If you want to keep the members section independent of WP, how about a sub-directory instead of a folder?

members.mikesouth.com for example.

Since you are already using WP, why not keep the members area as part of it?

That's what I would do. There's a ton of great plugins for all kinds of members stuff.

If you go that route, I would use aMember (in conjunction with ccbill) for the payment processing.

We use aMember on http://joannaangel.com with ccbill along with Joomla as the CMS.

Knowing what I know now though, I probably would have used WP for the CMS.
Copy cat!