PDA

View Full Version : CompUSA Closing ALL stores

Rcourt64
12-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Consumer electronics retailer CompUSA said Friday it will close its store operations after the holidays following sale of the company to Gordon Brothers Group, a restructuring firm. Financial terms weren't disclosed.
CompUSA operates 103 stores, which plan to run store-closing sales during the holidays.
Privately held CompUSA, controlled by Mexican financier Carlos Slim Helu's Grupo Carso, said discussions were underway to sell certain stores in key markets.
Stores that can't be sold will be closed.
Gordon Brothers will also try to sell the company's technical services business, CompUSA TechPro, and online business, CompUSA.com.
It would be up to the buyers whether to continue the CompUSA name.
So :waving: Bye-Bye CrappyCompers....
Wall Street Journel Story (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119706842364217640.html)

EmporerEJ
12-09-2007, 12:32 PM
How 'bout that....
Buy.com
tigerdirect
ecost

All thriving...
The worm is turning folks.....Not sure if it's a good thing or not, but it makes me sad.

KevinG
12-10-2007, 03:15 PM
That's a bummer. I have done lots of shopping there and have had good experiences with their on-site tech guys.

EmporerEJ
12-10-2007, 03:39 PM
It's happening in a big way all over. And it's gonna be bad. For the reason you just pointed out Kevin....

Just like the pharmaceutical industry. The endless drive to mail order prescriptions putting out the local pharmacist. And that's the government, and the HMOs doing it. Making people use mail order. Then who do you ask when you have a question? The DR? He had a 6 month course on pharmacy. He asks the Pharmacist for info. No, when it all goes to mail order, people are gonna be pissed, but it will be too late.

I know it's the pot calling the kettle black, but the worm turned on our industry a while ago. the local idiots drove us out of retail business long ago.

gonzo
12-10-2007, 04:43 PM
They were known here as Softwarehouse in the early days.

Couldnt have happened to a bigger bunch of crooks in my book.

EmporerEJ
12-11-2007, 12:53 AM
They were known here as Softwarehouse in the early days.

Couldnt have happened to a bigger bunch of crooks in my book.

What's your beef with CompUSA?
I didn't consider them "crooks." Why do you?
I'm sorry to see them go down.

gonzo
12-11-2007, 02:51 AM
What's your beef with CompUSA?
I didn't consider them "crooks." Why do you?
I'm sorry to see them go down.
My beef was back in the days when they were SoftwareHouse.
Most locals will tell you what a major cluster fuck that place was when they were the only game in town.
Misinformation and shitty return policy.

EAT ME COMPUSA

RawAlex
12-11-2007, 03:36 AM
CompUSA has conclusively proven that inventory is the death of computer stores.

EmporerEJ
12-11-2007, 10:51 AM
My beef was back in the days when they were SoftwareHouse.
Most locals will tell you what a major cluster fuck that place was when they were the only game in town.
Misinformation and shitty return policy.

EAT ME COMPUSA

Dunno Gonzo.

I never had the chance to have a CompUSA in my town. Closest one was Timonium MD. About 70 minutes away at best. I would have been happy to have a big box computer retailer...any retailer. Especially when you need that cable right now.

I think you overlook that convenience, and take it for granted.

Were they gonna maximize their profit if they were the only game in town? Sure. So would I. So would you.
You still had all the options I did. Mail order, and more mail order. Nobody forced you to walk in their store.

Everyone wants to shit on the retailer. Walk a mile in his shoes first. Try it from our side of the counter.

TheEnforcer
12-11-2007, 11:25 AM
CompUSA has crappy prices and shitty customer service. :okthumb:

EmporerEJ
12-11-2007, 12:00 PM
CompUSA has crappy prices and shitty customer service. :okthumb:

Perhaps, but they are physically there. You can walk in, pick up the product, and evaluate it. If it breaks, you have somewhere to take it to.
(Not that you will get resolution, but how is mail order better?)

Toby
12-11-2007, 12:44 PM
I've never had any problems with service at CompUSA. I have experienced very poor service at Best Buy on several occassions. I now refuse to go there. I'll drive further and go to Fry's instead.

KevinG
12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Perhaps, but they are physically there. You can walk in, pick up the product, and evaluate it. If it breaks, you have somewhere to take it to.
(Not that you will get resolution, but how is mail order better?)

I agree. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I really like walking into a store, talking to someone in person, touching and feeling things and walking out with instant gratification instead of looking out the window every day for the UPS truck.

However, since I know Eric likes full disclosure, I do order things online as well.

My new (3-months old) desktop was ordered online.

My semi-new laptop (11-months old) was bought at CompUSA.

Also bought at CompUSA this year, wireless router, TV tuner and other assorted supplies. I mistakenly bought the wrong wireless receiver for my old machine which doesn't have a pci express slot, turned around and got the right one in a matter of minutes instead going thru having to ship something back and wait for a replacement.

As I said, I am bummed I can't just take a quick drive on a whim and come home with new computer toys in a matter of 30 mins once they close.

EmporerEJ
12-11-2007, 01:37 PM
I agree. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I really like walking into a store, talking to someone in person, touching and feeling things and walking out with instant gratification instead of looking out the window every day for the UPS truck.

However, since I know Eric likes full disclosure, I do order things online as well.

My new (3-months old) desktop was ordered online.

My semi-new

in the interest of "full disclosure..."
I'll do you one better.....
We are a 100% mail order company. Our product is ONLY sold mail order.

And all my computers were bought mail order. I buy only Sony Vaio, from the Sony style clearance store usually, unless I can get a good refurb from ecost, buy.com. tiger direct, or someone else.

We do now have our very own Best buy, so we'll see.