PDA

View Full Version : Web Access and E-Mail on Flights

KevinG
12-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Passengers may soon hear a new in-flight announcement: “You can now log on.”

tarting next week and over the next few months, several United States airlines will test Internet service on their planes.

On Tuesday, JetBlue Airways will begin offering a free e-mail and instant messaging service on one of its planes, while American Airlines, Virgin America and Alaska Airlines plan to offer broader Web access in coming months, probably at a cost around $10 a flight.

“I think 2008 is the year when we will finally start to see in-flight Internet access become available,” said Henry Harteveldt, an analyst with Forrester Research, “but I suspect the rollout domestically will take place in a very measured way.” “In a few years time,” he added, “if you get on a flight that doesn’t have Internet access, it will be like walking into a hotel room that doesn’t have TV.”

The airlines’ goal is to turn their planes into the equivalent of wireless hot spots once they reach cruising altitude. These services will not be available on takeoff or landing.

Virgin America even plans to link the technology to its seat-back entertainment system, enabling passengers who are not traveling with laptops or smart phones to send messages on a flight.

Full Article on NY Times Website (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/07/technology/07air.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&th&emc=th)

They are describing two different things here. One I like and the other I do not.

If I can boot up my laptop and have high-speed Internet connectivity, then I may be interested, but not for $10. What is so urgent that it can't wait until I get to the hotel?

Even better would be to have AC power outlets and free high speed.

That's what I want.

They also seem to describe the on-board Internet access as part of "seat-back entertainment system". Doesn't interest me at all, but I guess it's good for entertainment for those that do not have a laptop.

Hammer
12-07-2007, 02:48 PM
I'd pay the $10. On long flights it would be great. On short 2 hour or less flights I doubt I'd care though.

Hell Puppy
12-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Power outlets are already available on some planes, especially in first.

Seatback internet is just a way to pass time for the most part. Though webmail could make it somewhat useful for getting some types of work done.

Give me true wireless and you can turn 4 hours or downtime squashed into a airplane seat into 4 hours of semi-productive time squashed into a airplane seat.

Personally, i'll take anything they give me to pass time on a flight. I love Frontier for their seatback DirecTV for that reason.

Unfortunately Atlanta is owned by Delta, so no big pressence here by folks like Frontier, Jetblue or Virgin America.