PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here use aMember? - Phishing Attempt

KevinG
10-23-2007, 09:19 AM
If you use aMember, there was a phishing attempt yesterday that I almost fell for myself.

aMember is a great script if you have a membership site and want to manage your members on your side instead of having ccbill or any other 3rd party payment processor do so.

It also comes in handy if you have your own merchant account like I do.

Anyway, here's the legit info from aMember that I took care of a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.amember.com/p/Main/SecurityNote04

Here's something interesting that happened yesterday.

I received an email that I had a PM from aMember. I actually clicked through and was about to sign in to the board to read the message, but I couldn't remember which one of my common username password combinations I normally use and blew it off.

It turns out this was a phishing attempt and I almost fell for it. Ironically, the reason I almost fell for it is the same reason I escaped it.

Reason: Extreme shortage of time.

That is why I just clicked on it - trying to keep moving through my work and just scratch things off my list and move on to the next one.

When I couldn't login, I just said screw it, I probably already took care of this with the last update and moved on. Good thing because here is the email I received this morning.

Hi Kevin,

If you got "Urgent October Security Update - Update Now!" from servicebot today (October/22) please do not take any actions!

We didn't sent that message, and we never send security updates via PM in forum. In addition amember-downloads.com is not our domain.

If you already uploaded files from that package please restore original aMember PRO files and remove functions.php immediately OR contact support@cgi-central.net to get help.

That's pretty fucked up.