PDA

View Full Version : DRM success anyone?

MRock
10-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Just curious if any one here has had any success with DRM video sales? The reason I ask is that I have had some success with it a few years back, but moved away from it with the industry move to "download to own" sites. ( AEBN needs to launch one of these, hint, hint) I just revisited a library of DRM movies I own and noted that the setup allows me to have affiliates place a profit for themselves on top of my price to market the videos. Anyone familiar with this marketing technique?

gonzo
10-16-2007, 08:35 AM
AEBN does have download to own. Been there as an option for most of the year as I recall. Its not availible except for the studios which choose to participate in the program.

DRM was pretty hotly debated a couple of years back. The consensus was that members hated it. Couple that with the unrealiable or pricy solutions availible and you can see that the industry as shyed away from it for the most part.

VOD is the only thing that has made a success of it to my knowledge.

EmporerEJ
10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I like DRM as much as I like "per minute" fees to watch video.

MRock
10-16-2007, 02:50 PM
AEBN does have download to own. Been there as an option for most of the year as I recall. Its not availible except for the studios which choose to participate in the program.

DRM was pretty hotly debated a couple of years back. The consensus was that members hated it. Couple that with the unrealiable or pricy solutions availible and you can see that the industry as shyed away from it for the most part.

VOD is the only thing that has made a success of it to my knowledge.

I asked Liz from AEBN about download to own and she said, "It's a model we have under consideration but have not implemented as yet."

That's why I didn't think they had it.

I currently sell through clips4sale and clips and just thought AEBN would follow suit. I would like to have 10 - 20 download sites to sell our content through. Good ones are hard to find though. Signed up for about 10, but only 2 turned out to be productive enough to work on. Several just don't have the traffic, most shut down after a short time.

I know DRM is not well liked by surfers, but I wonder if it was not "rolled out" correctly. Maybe it should have been called Digital Register Media, instead of Digital Rights Media. I think it should be viewed as a file with a register attached. They (the files) can be set to let people move, copy and burn freely after paying for it. What's the real difference between DRM and the current solution for download to own sites?

I have an indie music label website that I sell mp3 albums, bundled in a zip file with the CD cover art work. Because of the aversion of people to "DRM", I bought a php script to interface with paypal for pmt, then deliver the encripted url of the file to the customer. It would be a LOT easier to just DRM the music and put it on the server. I could deliver a MUCH higher quality music file too!

Another reason I brought this up, was that I just signed up for CCBill to use as a processor for a couple of new sites. When looking in the admin, I see they have a DRM solution also. My first thought of course was, "DRM is dead". But if it is, why do I keep seeing it everywhere I go?

MRock
10-16-2007, 02:55 PM
I like DRM as much as I like "per minute" fees to watch video.

My view on VOD, is that it's a cheap way for someone to preview a model or movie. If they like it, they can then buy the hardcopy or the download to watch for as long as they like. But because of the lousy 20% offered by VOD sites, I have never placed my content with most. I have only 1 VOD site I place my content, it pays the content owner 60%. I feel much more appreciated there. :)

EmporerEJ
10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
My view on VOD, is that it's a cheap way for someone to preview a model or movie. If they like it, they can then buy the hardcopy or the download to watch for as long as they like. But because of the lousy 20% offered by VOD sites, I have never placed my content with most. I have only 1 VOD site I place my content, it pays the content owner 60%. I feel much more appreciated there. :)

Every time I hear something like this....

I think to myself: Wait till the old timers in the "film Industry" start dumping their content "en Mass" on the web.

Much as I hate to note it, the value of content will plummet. Mark my words....it's coming.

miz_wright
10-16-2007, 03:53 PM
[quote=MRock;796889]I asked Liz from AEBN about download to own and she said, "It's a model we have under consideration but have not implemented as yet."

I currently sell through clips4sale and clips and just thought AEBN would follow suit. I would like to have 10 - 20 download sites to sell our content through. Good ones are hard to find though. Signed up for about 10, but only 2 turned out to be productive enough to work on. Several just don't have the traffic, most shut down after a short time.

I know DRM is not well liked by surfers, but I wonder if it was not "rolled out" correctly. Maybe it should have been called Digital Register Media, instead of Digital Rights Media. I think it should be viewed as a file with a register attached. They (the files) can be set to let people move, copy and burn freely after paying for it. What's the real difference between DRM and the current solution for download to own sites?[quote]

I'm sorry - when we spoke about it before, you specifically asked about clips, which is under development. My bad for not being clear - We do currently offer full-length titles for DtO, and have (as Gonzo pointed out) for some time.

MRock
10-16-2007, 06:57 PM
[quote=MRock;796889]I asked Liz from AEBN about download to own and she said, "It's a model we have under consideration but have not implemented as yet."

I know DRM is not well liked by surfers, but I wonder if it was not "rolled out" correctly. Maybe it should have been called Digital Register Media, instead of Digital Rights Media. I think it should be viewed as a file with a register attached. They (the files) can be set to let people move, copy and burn freely after paying for it. What's the real difference between DRM and the current solution for download to own sites?[quote]

I'm sorry - when we spoke about it before, you specifically asked about clips, which is under development. My bad for not being clear - We do currently offer full-length titles for DtO, and have (as Gonzo pointed out) for some time.

That's cool Liz :) You were correct in what you told me. When AEBN does offer a downloadable clip option, please let me know. I'll be the first to sign up.

miz_wright
10-17-2007, 09:05 AM
[quote=LizAEBN;796904][quote=MRock;796889]I asked Liz from AEBN about download to own and she said, "It's a model we have under consideration but have not implemented as yet."

------
That's cool Liz :) You were correct in what you told me. When AEBN does offer a downloadable clip option, please let me know. I'll be the first to sign up.

*wipes brow* :okthumb:

Sorry about the confusion, but glad we're all on the same page now *laugh* As soon as we have downloadable clips, baby, you KNOW I'm postin' here, right? ;)

KevinG
10-18-2007, 05:03 PM
I use DRM on the videos I produce for my site, http://www.cigarglamour.com

It's quite simple that I do not want the videos I produce at great cost to be handed out for free.

Aside from that, I bought this website which was originally a free community site where there was TONS of free galleries of scanned and scrapped content handed out for free.

Therefore, I feel my particular audience is more prone than average to have the mentality that everything on the Internet should be free no matter how much hard work, effort, time and money went into producing it.

Well, not with my content.

I pay $20 a month to use the basic service offered by http://ezdrm.com/

One note: Don't believe the info on their site that says their stuff works with Mac. That is out of date. Microshit has made recent changes so wmv files protected by DRM don't work with Mac. That's the short version of that story.

If anyone has a DRM solution for Mac, please let me know.