PDA

View Full Version : Content Theives Are Getting Busted

gonzo
06-02-2007, 06:03 PM
LOS ANGELES - Federal authorities have charged a Chicago man with copyright violations for allegedly uploading several episodes of Fox's "24" on the Internet before the show's season premiere earlier this year.

Jorge Romero, 24, used a Web site to download the first four episodes of the sixth season of "24" and then uploaded them to LiveDigital.com, according to a federal complaint filed in Los Angeles on Friday.

The episodes appeared online more than a week before their television debuts on Jan. 14 and 15.

Romero was charged with one felony count of uploading copyrighted material to a publicly accessible computer network knowing the work was intended for commercial distribution.

He has agreed to surrender at the US District Courthouse in Chicago on Tuesday, when arrangements will be made for his travel to Los Angeles, Department of Justice Spokesman Thom Mrozek said.

It was not immediately known whether Romero had retained an attorney. E-mails and phone calls to addresses listed in court documents as Romero's were not immediately returned.

If convicted, Romero faces a maximum of three years in prison.

Bullzbuck_K1
06-04-2007, 11:21 AM
used a Web site to download the first four episodes of the sixth season of "24"well why were they already available online? the writer is leaving something out here...:rolleyes:

sounds like he hacked into a server or something. in fact i'm not even sure what "using a Web site to download [something]" means. maybe he was an employee/ex-employee and he dl to his work PC, then.... transfer to home or ???

in any event, it's too bad adult webmasters don't have the same luxury of sending thieves off to prison with immediate felony charges. i know i see a lot of people really irked about stolen content, but who has a full-time staff of attorneys like fox does? shame, because theft is theft, regardless-