PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo, what is this Mustang kick you are on?

Jace
05-29-2007, 04:46 PM
just wondering

gonzo
05-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Millionaires drive Mustangs.

Hell Puppy
05-29-2007, 09:47 PM
GonZo is getting his first taste of driving a high performance car. If you drive anything even remotely sporty or powerful, the one car you can ALWAYS count on to challenge you on the road or at a redlight is a Mustang.

They have arguably the cheapest "muscle car" on the market and feel like they have something to prove.

They're kinda like Tanner from the Bad News Bears.

And because of that, as GonZo has discovered, it's loads of fun to blow them off the road.

gonzo
05-29-2007, 11:13 PM
GonZo is getting his first taste of driving a high performance car. If you drive anything even remotely sporty or powerful, the one car you can ALWAYS count on to challenge you on the road or at a redlight is a Mustang.

They have arguably the cheapest "muscle car" on the market and feel like they have something to prove.

They're kinda like Tanner from the Bad News Bears.

And because of that, as GonZo has discovered, it's loads of fun to blow them off the road.
"Eating Millionaires and Mustangs for breakfast..."

pam
05-30-2007, 02:33 PM
What Mustang? Where? Classic mustangs aren't muscle cars, they are classed as pony cars.

As for being cheapest, I'd assume you're talking the current $40k Mustangs (ick, ptooey, eww).

Chicks who drive muscle cars rock.

gonzo
05-30-2007, 02:42 PM
What Mustang? Where? Classic mustangs aren't muscle cars, they are classed as pony cars.

As for being cheapest, I'd assume you're talking the current $40k Mustangs (ick, ptooey, eww).

I just had a GT for desert on the way back from lunch.

venturi
05-30-2007, 03:32 PM

Actually, that's not entirely accurate; nor is the following but it gets a little closer. :)

The Mustang, Cougar, Camero, Firebird and Charger & Challenger ( I can't recall what the early ones on the Chrysler/Dodge side atm *brain fart*) were all essentially engineered specifically for stock car racing in the mid-to-late 1960's. They were very fast, very light and most importantly disposable (i.e. very cheap to build). Because the rules of stock car racing require that all cars on the circuit be built off of actual production models they needed to have a line of cars that could be easily and affordably converted into into stoopid fast race cars. They all mostly hit the open market with straight sixes and the smaller V8s like the legendary 289 and 318 short blocks but not long after the 327, 350 and 360 cu.in. V8s and then the 400+ cu.in long blocks were introduced to the lines that truly brought the age of the "muscle car" into existence.
IMHO, the only thing that has really changed over time in all these production lines is the price tag which has increased much much more rapidly than the quality/value of any of them has.

So Gonzo, whatcha driving these days? I knew you were shopping around a bit a while ago, but never heard/read what you ended up getting.

gonzo
05-30-2007, 03:43 PM
So Gonzo, whatcha driving these days? I knew you were shopping around a bit a while ago, but never heard/read what you ended up getting.

2007 Dodge Charger SRT 8

softball
05-30-2007, 04:53 PM

I don't know about that....

pam
05-30-2007, 05:16 PM
From another board about muscle cars

"ONE more time.....a 'MUSCLE' car was a MID-SIZED, BIG-BLOCK POWERED, AFFORDABLE 5 OR 6 SEAT car starting with the GTO option on a LeMans in 1964 and continuing until the last BIG-BLOCK, MID-SIZED, HIGH-PERFORMANCE car was offered for sale to the public."

It refers to a class of car.

The newer Mustangs are ugly as hell -- ever since the Mustang II and Fox bodies they've been ugly as hell to me. No, I take that back -- in 1969 they went ugly to me :)

softball
05-30-2007, 05:33 PM
From another board about muscle cars

"ONE more time.....a 'MUSCLE' car was a MID-SIZED, BIG-BLOCK POWERED, AFFORDABLE 5 OR 6 SEAT car starting with the GTO option on a LeMans in 1964 and continuing until the last BIG-BLOCK, MID-SIZED, HIGH-PERFORMANCE car was offered for sale to the public."

It refers to a class of car.

The newer Mustangs are ugly as hell -- ever since the Mustang II and Fox bodies they've been ugly as hell to me. No, I take that back -- in 1969 they went ugly to me :)
what about a C2 vette?

pam
05-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Want a link to post there? They've been fighting about this all week.

To some all classic 'Stangs are muscle cars, and to some, they aren't. At least they classify my goat as a muscle car, since chicks who drive muscle cars rock :P

I don't like Corvettes so can't really judge them other than saying I don't like them.

I'm a 'Stang/Firebird/goat/RoadRunner kinda gal.

Jace
05-30-2007, 07:45 PM
IMO, corvettes and mustangs are redneck cars

I did go to the corvette museum last year and it was pretty cool, they made a model here and there that was sweet looking, but most of the time they look like redneck trash

bluemoney
05-30-2007, 08:16 PM
2007 Dodge Charger SRT 8
That would have looked real good parked out front of the Grill :whistling

Jace
05-30-2007, 08:34 PM
http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a943/a943_bm.gif

softball
05-30-2007, 09:09 PM
I am going the other way at the moment. I am about to get a 64 Porsche 356SC and at the moment I am driving a 911. I had a 65 vette and that car rocked.

Jace
05-30-2007, 11:09 PM
I am going the other way at the moment. I am about to get a 64 Porsche 356SC and at the moment I am driving a 911. I had a 65 vette and that car rocked.

yeah, 65 vette is sweet....that is when cars were really cars, and not bubbles with wheels

http://www.edge-inc.net/images/cars/65corvettestingrayconv.jpg

compared to this

http://www.miraresearch.org/events/2006%20corvette%20b.jpg

terrible....just terrible

hehe, on a side note, some fun pics I found while searching for vette pics

http://www.e-forwards.com/uploadedpics/8553000corvette.jpg

http://www.uwm.edu/People/picmack/redneck_corvette.jpg

Hell Puppy
05-31-2007, 12:07 AM
A classic mustang and the stuff being produced since the mid-70's are two totally different animals. I'd love to have an original GT500. That'll cost you a dollar or two at Barrett Jackson however. The new ones, even the NEW Shelby GT500 are still a lot like putting lipstick on a pig. I cant believe the prices some people are paying for these things.

I will say that a late model 6 cylinder Mustang makes a great "girlfriend" car though. Dont see many guys driving them unless their daddy co-signed so they can pay for it with what they make sacking grocery at Publix. When they grow up and learn a trade, like driving a forklift, then they graduate to the GT. The behavior of the average 'stang GT driver is what earns it the reputation as a redneck ride though.

I disagree on the Corvette. It's actually kinda becoming more of a middle age crisis car than a redneck car. I loved my C5. There is no car out there that'll provide better bang for the buck than a Vette. It is a loud, powerful, V8 American sports car....doesn't have the refinement, engineering or polish of a German sports car or a pasta rocket, but it's a fun brute to drive.

My complaint with it, and why I didn't get another, is that they've fallen behind on the creature comforts on the inside. I'm a geek, I like all my luxury techie toys. And the beauty of an SRT8 is I have all my toys, it's a big comfortable car, and believe it or not it's a tad faster than the C5 Corvette.

gonzo
05-31-2007, 12:46 AM
That would have looked real good parked out front of the Grill :whistling
I was trapped on the Apalachian Trail

softball
05-31-2007, 12:47 AM
http://www.e-forwards.com/uploadedpi...00corvette.jpg
Wrap your ass in fiberglass

That lil red vette was a spitting image of mine.

softball
05-31-2007, 12:50 AM
A classic mustang and the stuff being produced since the mid-70's are two totally different animals. I'd love to have an original GT500. That'll cost you a dollar or two at Barrett Jackson however. The new ones, even the NEW Shelby GT500 are still a lot like putting lipstick on a pig. I cant believe the prices some people are paying for these things.

I will say that a late model 6 cylinder Mustang makes a great "girlfriend" car though. Dont see many guys driving them unless their daddy co-signed so they can pay for it with what they make sacking grocery at Publix. When they grow up and learn a trade, like driving a forklift, then they graduate to the GT. The behavior of the average 'stang GT driver is what earns it the reputation as a redneck ride though.

I disagree on the Corvette. It's actually kinda becoming more of a middle age crisis car than a redneck car. I loved my C5. There is no car out there that'll provide better bang for the buck than a Vette. It is a loud, powerful, V8 American sports car....doesn't have the refinement, engineering or polish of a German sports car or a pasta rocket, but it's a fun brute to drive.

My complaint with it, and why I didn't get another, is that they've fallen behind on the creature comforts on the inside. I'm a geek, I like all my luxury techie toys. And the beauty of an SRT8 is I have all my toys, it's a big comfortable car, and believe it or not it's a tad faster than the C5 Corvette.

I am actually developing an eye for the c4. I always thought they were a bit bland, but I think they have the potential to appreciate. But you really gotta look for the good ones. I took my 911 to the track a couple of weeks ago, and there was a real pretty one there. Tons of torque and hp. It got smoked by the Porsches.

pam
05-31-2007, 09:47 AM

I agree. While initially I was on the waiting list for the 2006 Shelby, once I saw it, I backed out. U G L Y. The 2007 is nice and looks close to the classics, but it's still much too modern for me.

The rounded front ends just irritate the shit out of me. Makes every car look alike these days.

Couple of Shelbys in this area which I love to see. Every so often I hear of a garage/barn find of a GT350 or GT500 and I wish it were me. I'm actually looking for a late 60's fastback right now but don't want to have to restore anything.

I love when some kid in a 2004 Mustang pulls up along side of me, revs his engine over and over, then leaves an inch of rubber when he takes off. Make me want to yell SORRY YOUR PENIS IS SO SMALL.

softball
05-31-2007, 04:05 PM
I agree. While initially I was on the waiting list for the 2006 Shelby, once I saw it, I backed out. U G L Y. The 2007 is nice and looks close to the classics, but it's still much too modern for me.

The rounded front ends just irritate the shit out of me. Makes every car look alike these days.

Couple of Shelbys in this area which I love to see. Every so often I hear of a garage/barn find of a GT350 or GT500 and I wish it were me. I'm actually looking for a late 60's fastback right now but don't want to have to restore anything.

I love when some kid in a 2004 Mustang pulls up along side of me, revs his engine over and over, then leaves an inch of rubber when he takes off. Make me want to yell SORRY YOUR PENIS IS SO SMALL.
You got it all wrong. Whenever I drove my vette, my dick would grow at least two inches. It is just a girl myth that cars don't make your dick bigger.

Rcourt64
05-31-2007, 07:48 PM
You got it all wrong. Whenever I drove my vette, my dick would grow at least two inches. It is just a girl myth that cars don't make your dick bigger.

ROTFL :rofl:

gonzo
05-31-2007, 07:55 PM

Kind of like that Dodge SRT truck that came up along side of me at 60 miles an hour and said "This Truck wants some of that car."

Get Some

He casught up to me quick enough to give me a thumbs up in my rear view mirror as I was moving thru the green light.

While that is the fastest production truck on wheels its no match when rolling at 60 miles and hour. Byt hte time his brick throttled up I had long gone.

Hell Puppy
06-01-2007, 12:01 AM
I am actually developing an eye for the c4. I always thought they were a bit bland, but I think they have the potential to appreciate. But you really gotta look for the good ones. I took my 911 to the track a couple of weeks ago, and there was a real pretty one there. Tons of torque and hp. It got smoked by the Porsches.

C4 is now a little long in the tooth to hang with Porsches at the track.

Watching values on them, if you were buying one hoping to appreciate, I'd go after a ZR1 and obviously the lower the miles the better as the C4's tended not to age well in terms of fit and finish.

softball
06-01-2007, 12:55 AM
C4 is now a little long in the tooth to hang with Porsches at the track.

Watching values on them, if you were buying one hoping to appreciate, I'd go after a ZR1 and obviously the lower the miles the better as the C4's tended not to age well in terms of fit and finish.
No corvettes do well on fit and finish. I think the time is right to pick up a c4 zr1 for sure. Get one that has been done and dusted.
Here is the car I am hopefully getting in a couple of weeks. This isn't the actual one but kinda looks the same. What do you guys think? Its kind of anti-muscle but I love em.

Hell Puppy
06-01-2007, 01:14 AM
No corvettes do well on fit and finish. I think the time is right to pick up a c4 zr1 for sure. Get one that has been done and dusted.
Here is the car I am hopefully getting in a couple of weeks. This isn't the actual one but kinda looks the same. What do you guys think? Its kind of anti-muscle but I love em.

Not my style, but great classic and you do not see a lot of them on this side of the Atlantic.

Heh...and that reminds me of a great way to torture owners of late model Porsches. If you see a 911 owner getting out of his car, go up to him and say "hey, is that the new boxter?" You gotta be able to keep a straight face though. Heh...from the front, I really cant tell 'em apart, Porsche has really devalued the "image appeal" by making the Boxter front end easily distinguishable from the 911 to the masses.