PDA

View Full Version : Content thief at HotMovies!

OneWhoKnows
04-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey everyone!

Well, just my third post at Oprano - but already pretty heavy, huh?

I recently started to promote MovieDollars through an own custom theater and one day a friend of mine, who is a content producer, hit me up on ICQ and said "hey man, you have some of my content at your new VOD site, and I never gave anyone the right to re-sell it". Of course I was like WTF - and checked it. He was true. I spotted a lot of content from a few (mostly Russian) affiliate programs which they use on exclusive sites and some Russian DVD's aswell, with the chance being pretty high that they haven't been licensed aswell, as that guy claims it to be his content.

So, if you're a program owner - and especially a Russian program owner - check that link at hotmovies, if your content is among the stuff he sells there aswell. This guy, calling himself "N-Studio" has to be stopped. And sadly my friend told me that HotMovies hasn't been very cooperative aswell so far.

http://www.hotmovies.com/studio/1167/N-Studio

So, have a look and tell me what you think about it. I'd say: :thumbdown

spazlabz
04-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Great Info OneWhoKnows! Gotta stop the content thieves the bastards!!

spaz

James_Hotmovies
04-06-2007, 06:35 AM
We appreciate you bringing these items to our attention.

I spoke to your friend last week, and again this week. I sent the concerns on to our studio team as soon as Gary told me and again this week.

When disputes arise it takes a few days to investigate the allogations and resolve the issue.

I believe this issue will be resolved by Monday or Tuesday.

Please, if you do see content that is questionable let us know.

Jace
04-06-2007, 09:59 AM
wait, so does this mean I can find some lonely studio in the middle of no where that isn't on any VOD sites, rip their movies, add my watermark to them and claim them as my own, and submit them to all the VOD sites as my own?

damn, that would be some major bucks

OneWhoKnows
04-06-2007, 10:12 AM
We appreciate you bringing these items to our attention.

I spoke to your friend last week, and again this week. I sent the concerns on to our studio team as soon as Gary told me and again this week.

When disputes arise it takes a few days to investigate the allogations and resolve the issue.

I believe this issue will be resolved by Monday or Tuesday.

Please, if you do see content that is questionable let us know.

Hey James!

That's good to hear, and I think Gary will be more than happy about this. The only question I have is, why is it impossible to take the content in question down in such a case until it's sorted out? Because when I checked it the last time everything was still up!

OneWhoKnows
04-06-2007, 10:14 AM
wait, so does this mean I can find some lonely studio in the middle of no where that isn't on any VOD sites, rip their movies, add my watermark to them and claim them as my own, and submit them to all the VOD sites as my own?

damn, that would be some major bucks

To me it looks like this is exactly what that "N-Studio" guy did. The only thing I'm asking myself is how he was able to fool HotMovies. Probably, like I said before, fake documents - because I can't imagine a large reputable company like them would publish content without documents.

helix
04-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Hey James!

That's good to hear, and I think Gary will be more than happy about this. The only question I have is, why is it impossible to take the content in question down in such a case until it's sorted out? Because when I checked it the last time everything was still up!

Yes, taking the content down would be the proper way to handle it.

James_Hotmovies
04-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm fairly sure the content in question was removed.

James_Hotmovies
04-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Also, we didn't get a list of titles that are in question.

We only got reports of 2 movies, if there are more please let me know.

Thanks

LadyMischief
04-06-2007, 12:17 PM
You guys have to give people time to respond! I just went through the same thing with a bunch of VOD sites as someone who bought dvd rights from us decided that extended to the web (when it did not) I contacted Hotmovies and they have been more than co-operative. You also have to think of the other ide of the coin and realize it's easy for people to say they own rights to a movie and it should be taken down but the contracts VOD studios have is with the provide, they have an obligation to deal with those people first when they receive disputes.

James and the entire Hotmovies crew are absolutely great people to know and do business with. Nice to see you here, btw, James!

OneWhoKnows
04-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Also, we didn't get a list of titles that are in question.

We only got reports of 2 movies, if there are more please let me know.

Thanks

Yes, I just realized that 2 movies have been removed from "N-Studio", but this one definitely contains content from one of Gary's sites aswell:

http://www.hotmovies.com/video/87903/Sexy-Kicker/

This movie si also one you should have a look at:

http://www.hotmovies.com/video/66606/Pussy-Casting/

This movie seems to contain content from two Russian DVD's:

http://www.spcompanyspb.com/g.php?id=4800
http://www.spcompanyspb.com/g.php?id=4780

Although I'm not 100% sure as I don't own these movies, nor do I understand Russian ;)

gonzo
04-07-2007, 01:33 AM
a dcma complaint to the host of any offending site ensures a speedy response.

Hell Puppy
04-07-2007, 05:03 PM
I use AEBN, have never had a reason to really look at HotMovies. Just browsed around their titles and studios a bit. Kinda reminds me of the $5 rack at Cornetta's...