PDA

View Full Version : World Wide Cell Phone

Dianna Vesta
04-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I know some of your guys have this. I also remember a long time ago someone posted something about it.

Anyhow, who has the best service and why?

Thanks
Dianna

Rcourt64
04-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I've actually managed to communicate with a few other planets with this bad boy right here ma'am
http://www.txroadrunners.com/images/pics/funny5/BigNokiaCellPhone.jpg

I don't use them but Cingular is one of the most popular in international cell phone services. I use Verizon now, But not on an international level. But as a nation wide service provider only, and I've never had any problems at all.

Hell Puppy
04-02-2007, 12:37 AM
I know some of your guys have this. I also remember a long time ago someone posted something about it.

Anyhow, who has the best service and why?

Thanks
Dianna

You talking satellite phone that you can literally use anywhere on the planet?

If so, you're not going to like what that costs....and it's not really needed at this point unless you're hiking to the north pole or something.

I assume you just mean a good quad-band phone and a carrier who will let you roam worldwide?

If so, first thing is your phone....you want GSM quad band. If you're using Cingular or T-Mobile, you should be on GSM at this point like the rest of the world. Verizon uses CDMA....Sprint/Nextel does some funky stuff like iDen. Dont know about the smaller carriers. Your phone itself is likely ok unless you have a really low end phone.

Next question is your carrier and what's it going to cost you for international roaming. T-Mobile is generally going to be the best here. Although T-Mobile USA is smaller than AT&T and Verizon in the U.S., T-Mobile worldwide has like 100 million customers and is in pretty much every country. So you'll still pay by the minute for international roaming, but it's a lot cheaper roaming onto a parent company's network than to roam onto a competitors.

You'll want to spend some quality time with your carrier's customer care before you go to see what you're in for, make sure your handset is good where you're going and you're provisioned properly for international roaming.