PDA

View Full Version : ICANN to File Suit Against RegisterFly

gonzo
03-29-2007, 04:20 PM
LOS ANGELES — Frustrated by RegisterFly operators’ failure to provide registration data to ICANN officials, the Internet policymaking board has decided to file suit seeking a restraining order against the domain registrar.

"RegisterFly’s failure to provide that data constitutes a breach of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement and places RegisterFly’s customer in great jeopardy,” according to a letter drawn up by ICANN outside counsel Jeffrey LeVee, an attorney with Los Angeles-based Jones Day.

In a letter earlier in the week to RegisterFly CEO Kevin Medina, ICANN said that the Miami-based company provided old customer data last week, the same information that it sent ICANN four weeks ago.

mo (http://www.xbiz.com/news_piece.php?id=20812)

TheEnforcer
03-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I have no doubt while many people don't like ICANN overall they are cheering like heck for them in this suit.

Hell Puppy
03-29-2007, 05:45 PM
This whole episode has unveiled some flaws in the domain system and ICANN's armor. If a registrar goes totally tits up or decides to just be a dick, it appears there is no backup proof of registration information. I hope I'm wrong about that but this is what is indicated on the surface by this suit. ICANN would like to take care of the registered owners of these domains, but without RegisterFly's database, how do you determine who owns what and how to get to them?

A true vulture would be running queries against all domains registered at RegisterFly and looking for the highly desirable ones should they become available due to the ineptitude of ICANN and RegisterFly.