PDA

View Full Version : 720gb of raw internal power!!!!!!!!!

Jace
03-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Just upgraded again, I finally am about to have a computer I am proud of

AMD Athlon x2 4600 Dual Core
3gb Corsair Dual Channel RAM
500gb Internal Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm IDE
220gb Internal WD Caviar 7200rpm IDE
ATI Sapphire Radeon x600 XT 128mb Video Card
Memorex Dual Layer 16x DVD Burner
Samsung Lightscribe 16x DVD Burner

From where it stands now I can do just about anything...I am going to bump that 22gb drive up to a 500gb next week and make the 220gb an external backup

next stop, next year, dual processors

Hell Puppy
03-09-2007, 12:07 AM

From where it stands now I can do just about anything...I am going to bump that 22gb drive up to a 500gb next week and make the 220gb an external backup

What?

No Raptor for main drive?

No crossfire or SLI for video?

Jace
03-09-2007, 12:38 PM
What?

No Raptor for main drive?

No crossfire or SLI for video?

if I played games I would probably care more about the video

as for Raptor, I am moving all hard drives to Seagate....I have had 5 western digitals fail, including a Raptor....they SUCK for dump drives

this one seagate I have has a 5 year warranty on it with UNLIMITED tech support forever, the WD had a 30 day parts and labor and 1 year tech support..LOL

Hell Puppy
03-12-2007, 02:59 AM
if I played games I would probably care more about the video

as for Raptor, I am moving all hard drives to Seagate....I have had 5 western digitals fail, including a Raptor....they SUCK for dump drives

this one seagate I have has a 5 year warranty on it with UNLIMITED tech support forever, the WD had a 30 day parts and labor and 1 year tech support..LOL

Hard drives are a commodity at this point. I do prefer raptor for my main drive on any high performance machine. Fast as hell, and I've never had a problem. Beyond that, I dont care.

For video, I'm hoping you mean X1600 and not X600. X1K family will vet ATI's avivo or whatever they call it. I LOVE how fast that thing can render and convert videos.

Jace
03-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Hard drives are a commodity at this point. I do prefer raptor for my main drive on any high performance machine. Fast as hell, and I've never had a problem. Beyond that, I dont care.

For video, I'm hoping you mean X1600 and not X600. X1K family will vet ATI's avivo or whatever they call it. I LOVE how fast that thing can render and convert videos.

actually, I meant the x600 http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx600/specs.html I didn't upgrade that just cause mainly the graphics card doesn't play much part in how fast a video is rendered or encoded, processor in your main key there

if I was doing a lot of regular or 3d transitions, the video card might play some part in it, but since I am just encoding it doesn't help very much

Jace
03-12-2007, 09:26 PM

man, I have a stack of western digitals sitting next to me, they make nice paper weights these days

I have to mention though, I am encoding video and working the drive 24/7, approx 70 videos a month right now

Rcourt64
03-12-2007, 09:37 PM
man, I have a stack of western digitals sitting next to me, they make nice paper weights these days

I have to mention though, I am encoding video and working the drive 24/7, approx 70 videos a month right now

Hey man, can u build a mini server that will run just live steam digital cams to different hard drives at once with multiple programs for streaming live to the internet, but still be able to run same program to a regular pc maintaining the same log-in code thru some sort of network? and how much does something like this will cost?

oh ya, and done with multiple ip addies, no sharing them

Hell Puppy
03-12-2007, 10:20 PM
actually, I meant the x600 http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx600/specs.html I didn't upgrade that just cause mainly the graphics card doesn't play much part in how fast a video is rendered or encoded, processor in your main key there

if I was doing a lot of regular or 3d transitions, the video card might play some part in it, but since I am just encoding it doesn't help very much

Bzzzzzzttt... you're wrong here. Normally, you're right the impact of video card is minimal on rendering, but that's the beauty of Avivo. It makes your rendering SMOKE!

I haven't benched it lately on new hardware, but when we got our first ones last year for our video rendering machines, we ONLY replaced the video cards. We dropped in Sapphire X1800's and first video I did out of the gate took 87 minutes to render without the X1800. After installing it, exact same video rendered in 18 minutes.

http://www.chip.de/artikel/c1_artikel_17670022.html

And yes, it also kicks major ass for games.

And if you want more speed....drop two of 'em in and use Cross Fire.

Jace
03-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Bzzzzzzttt... you're wrong here. Normally, you're right the impact of video card is minimal on rendering, but that's the beauty of Avivo. It makes your rendering SMOKE!

I haven't benched it lately on new hardware, but when we got our first ones last year for our video rendering machines, we ONLY replaced the video cards. We dropped in Sapphire X1800's and first video I did out of the gate took 87 minutes to render without the X1800. After installing it, exact same video rendered in 18 minutes.

http://www.chip.de/artikel/c1_artikel_17670022.html

And yes, it also kicks major ass for games.

And if you want more speed....drop two of 'em in and use Cross Fire.

what about for encoding only? cause that is really all I do.....encoding and watermarking

Jace
03-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Hey man, can u build a mini server that will run just live steam digital cams to different hard drives at once with multiple programs for streaming live to the internet, but still be able to run same program to a regular pc maintaining the same log-in code thru some sort of network? and how much does something like this will cost?

oh ya, and done with multiple ip addies, no sharing them

i don't really do that kind of stuff...

softball
03-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Yawn. Does it burn rubber and go from zero to sixty in under five seconds?

Hell Puppy
03-13-2007, 01:47 AM
what about for encoding only? cause that is really all I do.....encoding and watermarking

Yup, long as you're not using software that does something funky to bypass the drivers in favor of it's own.

Hell Puppy
03-13-2007, 01:47 AM

Time is money!

Speed saves time, therefore speed saves money.

Jace
03-13-2007, 02:53 AM
Yup, long as you're not using software that does something funky to bypass the drivers in favor of it's own.

nah man, cleanerxl is actually one of the ONLY programs that fully utilizes the dual core I have, sorenson doesn't make full use and videocharge doesn't even touch the second core

I will have to check into it then, for shizzle, even though I am doing pretty well right now, anything to speed it up more is a welcome addition

I just never really cared that much cause I don;t game, but it looks like video cards are taking a turn for the better for us video guys

Jace
03-13-2007, 02:54 AM
no, but my 1991 isuzu rodeo has bald tires so they look like they are burned and goes from 0 to 60 in 24.5 seconds

Jace
03-13-2007, 02:55 AM
haha, i just said fuck it and ordered one, I thought it would be more expensive....$79 ain't bad at all

SirMoby
03-13-2007, 01:30 PM

With 750G hard drives costing much less then people make in a day why don't more people double up all hard drives and make back ups? RAID is nice but it's slow so every night I have Retrospect copy all of my working drives to my backup drives. A few Terabytes are safe and protected.

Inabon
03-13-2007, 04:14 PM
pretty nice but i would suggest go with 10k rpm sata drives you will be amazed of how much your computer changes.

AMD well not to happy with it. i will stick to intel.

video cards i agree you should have gone with the SLI technology it will improve your overall speed remember you are still doing a lot of stuff with your processor SLI technology will take away a bit of burden.

memory.

niiice bue i would have just gotten 2 gb and use the rest of the $$$ (not much) for the 10k rpm harddrives.

:)

good luck with it. i guess you are ready for vista :)

Jace
03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
pretty nice but i would suggest go with 10k rpm sata drives you will be amazed of how much your computer changes.

AMD well not to happy with it. i will stick to intel.

video cards i agree you should have gone with the SLI technology it will improve your overall speed remember you are still doing a lot of stuff with your processor SLI technology will take away a bit of burden.

memory.

niiice bue i would have just gotten 2 gb and use the rest of the $$$ (not much) for the 10k rpm harddrives.

:)

good luck with it. i guess you are ready for vista :)

I actually got a sata and didn't notice enough of a speed increase so I took it back.....the increase was so minimal it was not worth the extra effort to make it work right with a sata/ide combo

I love AMD, too bad they are going under, I will hate to have to move to Intel

Inabon
03-13-2007, 04:56 PM
I actually got a sata and didn't notice enough of a speed increase so I took it back.....the increase was so minimal it was not worth the extra effort to make it work right with a sata/ide combo

I love AMD, too bad they are going under, I will hate to have to move to Intel

dude your board doesn't support sata drives??? there is no special configuration man.

you did not notice difference because you made no difference :) a 7200 rpm sata drive performs better than IDE but it is only noticeable during big disk writes like rendering on photoshop.

but a 10k rpm drive is like having scsi well some will say it is faster than scsi.

i did away with ide all together just having a slave drive on the same ide cable slows everything down.

Jace
03-13-2007, 06:17 PM
dude your board doesn't support sata drives??? there is no special configuration man.

you did not notice difference because you made no difference :) a 7200 rpm sata drive performs better than IDE but it is only noticeable during big disk writes like rendering on photoshop.

but a 10k rpm drive is like having scsi well some will say it is faster than scsi.

i did away with ide all together just having a slave drive on the same ide cable slows everything down.

I did a lot of reading on this, plus trying it personally, and you can't have an IDE master with a sata slave in winxp

your bios will recognize it, but that is about it....i tried for 4 hours the other night

once I hooked up the sata as a slave and encoded one 50minute avi, I noticed maybe a 5 minute difference in encoding time, not enough to get me all wet in the pants over sata

I am not the only one noticing this either, if you check out many encoding forums everyone is noticing the same thing....the ide is rated at 133/MBps and the sata was rated at 150MBps...woopity doo, again, not worth the hassle of switching drives all around

and no, my board doesn't support sata 2.0, and I am fine with that

Jace
03-13-2007, 06:23 PM
With 750G hard drives costing much less then people make in a day why don't more people double up all hard drives and make back ups? RAID is nice but it's slow so every night I have Retrospect copy all of my working drives to my backup drives. A few Terabytes are safe and protected.

I really don't need all that to be honest...I encode and back up on dual layer dvd

venturi
03-13-2007, 06:51 PM
I did a lot of reading on this, plus trying it personally, and you can't have an IDE master with a sata slave in winxp

your bios will recognize it, but that is about it....i tried for 4 hours the other night
Actually WinXP will do that just fine as I am an example typing here with 120GB IDE master and an 80GB SATA slave + another 120GB IDE slave and running on WinXP. :) If you are having a problem in XP it is due to your BIOS settings and not the OS.

once I hooked up the sata as a slave and encoded one 50minute avi, I noticed maybe a 5 minute difference in encoding time, not enough to get me all wet in the pants over sata

I am not the only one noticing this either, if you check out many encoding forums everyone is noticing the same thing....the ide is rated at 133/MBps and the sata was rated at 150MBps...woopity doo, again, not worth the hassle of switching drives all around

and no, my board doesn't support sata 2.0, and I am fine with that
I think you may have missed Inabon's point. He is talking about 10,000 RPM SATA drives. Most of what you will find on the open consumer market are either 5,400 or 7,200 RPM SATA - the 10K drives are a bit harder to find and there is a significant price jump ($1/GB for 10K rpm versus ~$0.45/GB for 7.2K rpm on a 160GB for example). 10K SATA drives basically are considered "server grade" and trust me, you *will* notice a massive difference in your computer performance.

Jace
03-13-2007, 06:54 PM
ok, guys, love ya and all, but I am not going to get into an argument over things I have tried and didn't work for me, but worked for you

I got inabons point completely, and for the budget I was working with the ide 7200rpm worked just fine and my encoding is going plenty fast for me

I was just happy I have a nice computer for once that gets things done exactly like I need it to, I spent over $800 the past week upgrading and I am happy, that is all that matters, right?

Jace
03-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Actually WinXP will do that just fine as I am an example typing here with 120GB IDE master and an 80GB SATA slave + another 120GB IDE slave and running on WinXP. :) If you are having a problem in XP it is due to your BIOS settings and not the OS.

I spent 3-4 hours on it....the bios was set up fine, it saw the drive on boot, then it would get a little further in winxp and just hang there, the few times I got xp loaded it saw no drives and I tried every hardware tool I know of to get the drive loaded and nothing would see it in winxp

I tried in IDE mode and RAID mode in the bios also, nothing would work, I needed it work right then and there and didn't want to spend any more time lost on work that people hired me to do, so I went and picked up the IDE, and I very happy with it now

Hell Puppy
03-14-2007, 02:03 AM

I already poked at him for not buying a Raptor (my favorite 10K drive), and he aint having it. ;)

Inabon
03-14-2007, 06:21 PM
the point is you brag when you buy a ferrari you brag when you buy a maserati you brag when you buy a 1 mil house.

you are braging about buying a regular piece of equipment.

and then do not listen to other people with more knowledge about it and say mmm maybe you are right.

you are saying you tried something you really have not tried.

anyways like i said good luck with your yaris.

i will zoom away in my ferrari :)
dell xps 710 h2c
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_710h2c?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=specstab

should be down here in panama by may (my birthday :) )