PDA

View Full Version : Spamming Affiliates Cause Topbucks Trouble

gonzo
03-05-2007, 11:52 AM
TUCSON, Ariz. — Cyberheat apparently has dodged maximum penalties over alleged Can-Spam violations after a federal judge ordered the Justice Department and the online adult company to hammer out an agreement.

In a case at U.S. District Court in Tucson, Cyberheat, which operates webmaster program TopBucks, is defending itself against charges by the Federal Trade Commission over sexually explicit spam messages sent by its affilates. It contends it can't control the actions of affiliates. If convicted, Cyberheat would be liable for $11,000 in civil penalties for each spam email, or $7.1 million. It would be the largest fine levied against an online adult company.

Rest of the story (http://www.xbiz.com/news_piece.php?id=19922)

TheEnforcer
03-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Yikes. $7.1 million is a huge chunk of change. I'm sure they wil come to some type of agreement though. The FTc sure seems to be trying to nail people on this.

Nymph
03-06-2007, 05:47 AM
I sure hope everything comes out ok for them...they are my fav sponsor right now.

Mish
03-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Are they not covered against the illegal acts of affiliates under the Terms and Conditions of the TopBucks program? :unsure:

TheEnforcer
03-06-2007, 01:13 PM
FTC doesn't much care about the T&C's of a program. If they think they can nail em and get money out of them they will.

Mish
03-08-2007, 12:55 PM
FTC doesn't much care about the T&C's of a program. If they think they can nail em and get money out of them they will.

Well, that's not very comforting now is it? :unsure: