PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Post Whores

gonzo
02-18-2007, 05:23 PM
People are getting lazier and lazier it seems. Several years ago a new webmasters started participating in what we call as sig whoring.This is the practice of posting inane comments on popular message forums to raise “post count” and then sell your signature to a company to increase their visability.I guess when your skills are [...]

More... (http://www.opranoplus.com/blog/?p=8)

Hell Puppy
02-18-2007, 11:18 PM
People are getting lazier and lazier it seems. Several years ago a new webmasters started participating in what we call as sig whoring.This is the practice of posting inane comments on popular message forums to raise “post count” and then sell your signature to a company to increase their visability.I guess when your skills are [...]

More... (http://www.opranoplus.com/blog/?p=8)

LOL!

Matt Collins
02-19-2007, 05:12 PM
I have 23 posts, anyone want to buy my sig?

I post often and I always have intelligent things to say!! LOL!!

Matt

SirMoby
02-20-2007, 12:40 AM
I've started judging sponsors by sigs. When I start seeing lots of silly sigs or sigs of complete twits I seem to think poorly of the sponsor. I know in many cases the sponsor doesn't have a say in the matter but often they do.

Hell Puppy
02-20-2007, 01:12 AM
I mentioned this elsewhere...but let's see if anyone here has thoughts...

The question is what is the actual value of a sig these days?

Anyone care to quantify it?

The variables are pretty simple:

x = number of impressions per month, which is a function of post count

y = average number of impressions it takes to generate a new affiliate signup

z = the average expected income per month for a new affiliate.

So, ROI would be:

roi = (x/y) * z

That number would dictate the value, but not necessarily the price. Depending on your retention, affiliate growth, etc, you might be willing to pay more than the actual roi. Branding value needs to be figured in there somewhere as well.

I will tell you that based on the sponsors I talk to, and including my own numbers, the problem is "z". It's getting tougher and tougher to find new affiliates who can scrape together even a single signup per month.

spazlabz
02-20-2007, 10:02 AM
SIG SPOT!

spaz

Hell Puppy
02-20-2007, 10:30 PM
SIG SPOT!

spaz

People fear numbers these days.

No bounce, no play.

Revshare-Omar
02-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Wow I guess that makes me on lazy poster then? I'm not big into stirring up board scraps, or for that matter making a lot of "would you hit it" threads. If I see something of interest I'll make my comment, and that's just that.

oh btw if my post count gets to high my boss will think I'm not working ......hehe :whistling

Reptile
02-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Well I have no plans to sell my sig. Not that I have enough posts such that anybody would want buy it. Right now I need the back links to my TGP.

As for finding affiliates who can get sign ups, well it's getting tougher and tougher to generate traffic. Hence the sig link back to my TGP.

Jace
02-21-2007, 08:25 PM
I just barter my sig these days, I can use services and goods more

but I only put something in there I believe in and support